bear1 Registered User

Does it rightly piss anyone else off when you make room for someone who wants to join your lane, or you let someone out of a junction or in general show niceness to other drivers who in turn then don't bother their holes in saying thanks.
No flip of the hand, no on off of the emergency lights, no left right indicator movement.
Nothing.
Can't ****ing stand it.
Rant over.

27 people have thanked this post
Voodoomelon Registered User

Lots of generalisations are made on this forum, plenty are downright sexist, but in my personal opinion, women are absolutely, 100% the biggest offenders here. A huge amount don't give two hoots when someone does them a favour. I even witnessed my own mother sail out after someone let her out without even so much as a nod.

And to add insult to injury, i've witnessed sooo many times the complete exaggerated opposite, if they happen to grace you with permission to move out infront of them, they signal you to do so whilst waving their hands frantically in a "will you ever hurry up motion" with a scowl on their faces. Hateful.

Men obviously do the same (the not acknowledging thing), but the fairer sex are way, way worse in my experience. Maybe its a "you should be letting me out" attitude, like holding a door open or something I don't know, but it's pure rude.

22 people have thanked this post
evolving_doors Moderator

bear1 said:
Does it rightly piss anyone else off when you make room for someone who wants to join your lane, or you let someone out of a junction or in general show niceness to other drivers who in turn then don't bother their holes in saying thanks.
No flip of the hand, no on off of the emergency lights, no left right indicator movement.
Nothing.
Can't ****ing stand it.
Rant over.

Jayysus life's to short to be expecting a marcel marceau show of gratitude.
I just let em out and get on with it. Same time id give a quick salute or 1 second hazzards.

Courtesy driving for the sake of it wrecks my head though. Look in yer rear view people, if there's a gap behind then let folk take their chances after you, some folk nearly slam on the breaks just to let someone out.

22 people have thanked this post
pudzey101 Registered User

i like drivers that flash me for speedvans/checkpoints , them lads are sound . the rest can fcuk off .

20 people have thanked this post
bear1 Registered User

evolving_doors said:
Jayysus life's to short to be expecting a marcel marceau show of gratitude.
I just let em out and get on with it. Same time id give a quick salute or 1 second hazzards.

Courtesy driving for the sake of it wrecks my head though. Look in yer rear view people, if there's a gap behind then let folk take their chances after you, some folk nearly slam on the breaks just to let someone out.

It costs nothing to show a simple sign of gratitude.
It isn't for the sake of it tbh, if you're in say slow moving traffic and someone is waiting to join and you let them then any sort of gratitude is surely Ok?
Like holding the door open for someone and they sail on by without a hint of a thanks. Tis annoying.
Each to their own though.

1 person has thanked this post
DaveyDave Registered User

I'll flash the hazards even if I'm not sure they weren't letting me slip in, just to be polite. It's nice to get a flash of the high beams in response. It's a nice feeling when there's a shared courtesy. I do my best to let people in even if traffic isn't too heavy I'll leave space for merging traffic. There's times where I clearly let someone in and they didn't thank me, to which they always get "Ah f**k you anyway".

If there's parked cars on both sides with no clear gap I'll let people go. I also appreciate if I'm coming off a slip into traffic and someone lets me out even though they have a light sequence and I'll get out eventually.

In saying that though for all the people I let in there's an idiot somewhere else down the road on a different day trying to merge 20 below the speed limit who doesn't understand right of way and just moves over and cuts me off...

6 people have thanked this post
Dravokivich Registered User

I don't want them to flash or signal gratitude to me. I always try to leave room to make sure people can move about when they need to, or feel the need to throw themselves about. The less I'm in someone else's way the better. If you wanna call that courtesy knock yourself out

CiniO Registered User

bear1 said:
Nothing.
Can't ****ing stand it.
Rant over.

Not at all.
I never really expect anyone saying thanks. Other drivers letting me in or allowing to change lane is enough thanks.
I often also don't thank myself as I'm too busy focusing on the road (I drive fast so have to really focus).

Remember also publicity a while ago, saying not to use your hazard lights to thank someone, as they might be misunderstood to emergency braking or other danger.

Isambard Registered User

the ones I won't thank are those that hold you up for ages and then move over as you start to pass them on the first clear straight.

Lets face it, many drivers are so incompetent they aren't capable of noticing you've done them a turn, they just grip that wheel with their nose almost on the screen and look straight ahead.Scary

Patww79 Registered User

bear1 said:
Nothing.
Can't ****ing stand it.
Rant over.

Just stop letting people out, especially if you're only doing it to be the big fella looking a thumbs up. For every person you let out at a junction you're holding up another behind you.

2 people have thanked this post
Caliden Registered User

DaveyDave said:
I'll flash the hazards even if I'm not sure they weren't letting me slip in, just to be polite. It's nice to get a flash of the high beams in response. It's a nice feeling when there's a shared courtesy. I do my best to let people in even if traffic isn't too heavy I'll leave space for merging traffic. There's times where I clearly let someone in and they didn't thank me, to which they always get "Ah f**k you anyway".

I still flash the hazards when someone leaves a gap in a zipper merge.

Positive reinforcement so they keep doing it in the future.

2 people have thanked this post
bear1 Registered User

Patww79 said:
Just stop letting people out, especially if you're only doing it to be the big fella looking a thumbs up. For every person you let out at a junction you're holding up another behind you.

Most of the times traffic is moving at a speed that I can't let people out, it's more when traffic is moving very slowly and there is someone wanting to move in that i stop and let them.
I wouldn't exactly go around looking for thanks...

fancy pigeon Registered User

I don't really expect much, except the unexpected.

Pre dash cam days I let this fellow out from a side road in traffic, he put the boot down too much and ended up on the wrong side of the road. Fortunate he didn't hit the car in front/there was no one coming

Alanstrainor Moderator

I remember my granny would be militant about giving a salute if someone let her out. Almost ridiculously so, and she'd go mad if she didn't get one in return if she let someone out!

I think it is a good thing to give a wave if someone lets you out of whatever, and I'll always try to. But at the same time you can't get too hung up on others responses, who knows what's going on in their lives, maybe they're just focusing on something else.

5 people have thanked this post
RacoonQueen Moderator

What annoys me is when you've let one person out and you're moving forward to continue on again after being courteous enough to let someone out and the sh*thead behind them bullets out behind them out leaving you then looking like the ass who forced this behaviour/blocking a junction.

7 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!