Big Nasty Registered User

Glass hygiene, either too much or too little.

2 people have thanked this post
BattleCorp Registered User

Staplor said:
So why is there one particular pub that'll guarantee me a throbbing hangover on 4 pints, while other pubs I can have 8 no bother? Because the beer is ****e, the delivery system is all I can attribute it to.

Now BTW, this is the quintessential rural village **** pub.

It might have something to do with how far the keg is from the tap. Long lines don't help.

Or out of date beer or different glass cleaning chemicals could also play a part.

Staplor Registered User

It really shouldn't matter. This pub I'm talking about has practically a minority in a small village, pool table, cards, musical acts at the weekend. There's no need for ****ty pints. I've stopped frequenting the kip because it is just that.

A decent pub is worth travelling for, even a decent pint is worth travelling for. Pubs need to up their game, they've far too much competition and need to modernise.

And the Guinness in particular tastes rank, and the draw isn't all that far either!!!

NewbridgeIR Registered User

McGrath5 said:
Also - and this goes not just for rural pubs, the selection of drinks available tends to be quite poor. If you wish to drink something apart from Guinness, Heineken or Bulmers, you'll quickly find that your choice is very limited.

At least in the likes of Lidl or Aldi, I can try something different each week and for a more reasonable price too, rather than having some overpriced Diageo slop thrown at me in a smelly pub.

Key reason IMHO.
Many pubs refuse to stock anything other than the usual suspects - not even a few bottles of craft beers let alone draught.

1 person has thanked this post
JupiterKid Registered User

hurler32 said:
No im not but Gardai ..Ban Gardai in particular seem to specialize in bagging honest law abiding sorts ( in many cases teetotaler ) in the morning time.....seem to like scaring the elderly into been afraid to have a drink at all or venture out.....
Where as when these elderly are been broken into by travellers etc theres no guards to be found...Probably a broader piece on guards picking the handy catchs as opposed to tackling some of the evil scumbags outthere....

There havent been any ban gardai in over 25 years. You must mean female gardai who are paid the same as their male counterparts (and rightly so)

Rural pubs are dying because of mass urbanisation which is unstoppable, rural depopulation, high alcohol prices, the long term effects of the indoor smoking ban, poor standards and choice of drinks, declining and more discerning alcohol consumption and the drink driving ban. The future for those pubs that do survive is to offer a good food service, in rural towns, a heated smoking area, good choice of beers, a minibus service to take punters home. It was ridiculous anyway where every small town had 15 pubs. Good riddance to the filthy tiny establishment with 3rd world jacks, 2 beers on tap and decor from 1961.

Pubs are in serious decline everywhere. They will be halved in number in less than 20 years time. Irish people are wealthier, more sophisticated, more cosmopolitan and are preferring to eat out at restaurants or "gastropubs" than go to some local shebeen at the weekend.

mikemac2 Registered User

My small village of 600 had three pubs and another two just 2km away

The three that are left worked hard to establish a food business, have trad music sessions, card nights and marketed fhemselves to tourists (lakeside tourist hotspot) and don’t just rely on locals

The ones that are gone had a darts boards, boring selection of beers and most of their elderly customers are not even alive anymore! They could blame drink driving, smoking ban or whatever but it was survival of the fittest and they are not missed. An old mans pub with your small paddy or powers, no music or TV can work and some want that but in a rural area that’s not enough turnover

5 pubs in a village isn’t sustainable anyway

foxy farmer Registered User

Some of these "publicans" are their own worst enemy. They have some romantic notions about running a pub. There was a fine pub with overhead residence built here back in the mid 80s. Rural location, off road parking, bar lounge dance floor pool table plenty seating. Closed after 30 yrs in 2015.
It had 4 owners. Of the 4 only 1 had any business acumen. He'd have music and dancing at least one night on the weekend sometimes 3 nights. Ceili dancing lessons line dancing, cards, pool darts competitions etc. Ran it for nearly 12 yrs. The other 3 were clueless amadans. Poor attitude to customers and no interest in anything but selling drink. The last crowd bought it in 2000 for 0ver 300k. Were rumoured to open kitchen and do grub. Thankfully they didnt as the pub turned into a pure kip. Cold, damp seats stinking toilets and a barman who was only interested in the big shot customers. They ran it for the last 6 months without renewing the licence. The drinks companies wouldn't supply them over it so they resorted to buying kegs off pubs in the nearby village and buying spirits in the supermarket.
After trying to sell the place for nearly 10 yrs it was finally sold as a residential property in 2016 for about 85k. I have yet to hear someone say they miss the place.

4 people have thanked this post
andekwarhola Registered User

Dunno if the point has been made but there's too many pubs as well. And that's from somebody that likes going to pubs. My wife is from a small rural village and there's about 6 pubs in the place.

It's like the taxis thing was in Dublin: a public service that needs to adapt with the times rather than a profession to which you're entitled to in perpetuity, even to the point of jackass legislation like MUP.

cycle4fun Registered User

Victor said:
A lot of it is down to drinking at home

And a lot of people are terrified of going to the pub and having 2 or 3 pints as it would mean driving home, so they do not go to the pub. Losing the licence is not an option. Going to the pub at the weekend was all some people had to look forward to after a weeks work on the farm.

weldoninhio Registered User

JupiterKid said:
There havent been any ban gardai in over 25 years. You must mean female gardai who are paid the same as their male counterparts (and rightly so)

Rural pubs are dying because of mass urbanisation which is unstoppable, rural depopulation, high alcohol prices, the long term effects of the indoor smoking ban, poor standards and choice of drinks, declining and more discerning alcohol consumption and the drink driving ban. The future for those pubs that do survive is to offer a good food service, in rural towns, a heated smoking area, good choice of beers, a minibus service to take punters home. It was ridiculous anyway where every small town had 15 pubs. Good riddance to the filthy tiny establishment with 3rd world jacks, 2 beers on tap and decor from 1961.

Pubs are in serious decline everywhere. They will be halved in number in less than 20 years time. Irish people are wealthier, more sophisticated, more cosmopolitan and are preferring to eat out at restaurants or "gastropubs" than go to some local shebeen at the weekend.

There are more people living rurally now that 25/30 years ago.

I passed the nearest rural pub to me on my way home from work last night. It was about 10.20pm and there were two cars in the car park. The pub is on a crossroads with very few houses within easy walking distance.

Rural pubs are fcuked. Well, at least that one is.

Skyfloater Registered User

Staplor said:
So why is there one particular pub that'll guarantee me a throbbing hangover on 4 pints, while other pubs I can have 8 no bother? Because the beer is ****e, the delivery system is all I can attribute it to.

Now BTW, this is the quintessential rural village **** pub.

If drinking 8 pints on a night out is normal for you, you've got bigger issues than dirty lines.

3 people have thanked this post
JupiterKid Registered User

weldoninhio said:
There are more people living rurally now that 25/30 years ago.

In the immediate commuter hinterlands of our cities yes, but these people don't tend to patronise the local pubs. Nor are they packing the local churches out. In more remote rural areas, they are dying and being denuded of people, especially young peoole who are moving en masse to Dublin and the other cities for jobs and opportunities. The clock will not be turned back nor should it.

Rural Ireland is indeed dying and no amount of arguing about the census trends will change that. Irelands rate of urbanisatiin is accelerating and if the discgraceful scourge of one off rural housing wasn't as bad as it was here, it would be even more so.

Skyfloater said:
If drinking 8 pints on a night out is normal for you, you've got bigger issues than dirty lines.

8 pints every night is a problem. 8 pints on an odd night out wouldn't be mental excessive.

4 people have thanked this post
Staplor Registered User

BattleCorp said:
8 pints every night is a problem. 8 pints on an odd night out wouldn't be mental excessive.

Thanks for that, never said 8 pints would be a normal night out, it was in the spirit of context from one particular **** hole.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!