Burkie1203 Registered User

The race for click bait headlines.

1 person has thanked this post
Former Former Registered User

The IRFU are a disgrace. Petty and cowardly.

Some tolerance for drug cheats, zero tolerance for awkward questions. Just so we're clear on the values of Irish rugby.

Lots of posters here will heartily endorse this spineless development but any organisation trying to silence or ignore a media asking questions it doesn't like should be called out for it.

Ridiculous and utterly self-defeating. Their press and PR people just don't know when to stop digging.

8 people have thanked this post
irishbucsfan Registered User

Former Former said:

Some tolerance for drug cheats, zero tolerance for awkward questions. Just so we're clear on the values of Irish rugby.

Lots of posters here will heartily endorse this spineless development but any organisation trying to silence or ignore a media asking questions it doesn't like should be called out for it.

Ridiculous and utterly self-defeating. Their press and PR people just don't know when to stop digging.

Spot on

Venjur Registered User

Former Former said:

Far too little verified information to be making these kinds of statements. We've heard from exactly one side and one side only and hearing from the other side through them is not the same as hearing from the other side.

You know my opinion on drug use, but I'd like to hear what exactly the IRFU's issue is here. I can disagree with their stance on recruiting a doper but I can agree with them if some commentary on this is unreasonable or over the top. I don't point the finger at the player in this instance, I point the finger at Munster and the IRFU for hiring him, but a lot of the debate has gotten personal about the player which is wrong imo.

7 people have thanked this post

Former Former said:

The IRFU have taken the line, a player had erred and taken his punishment then it’s done. This “ban for life” doesn’t exist and unions couldn’t bring in a rule to ban players for life the CAS has found against that time and again and they’d leave themselves open to litigation

Using extreme words such as spineless discredit rather than enchace your argument imho.

Journos quickly circled the wagons when one of their own fell from grace, but I question the merit of a poorly researched op ed that is more Buzzfeed than L’Equipe

Joe has been correct on his decisions so far, I don’t see the need to pull him up on this. I don’t thing Eddie Jones or Warren Gatland openly embraces the press either.

3 people have thanked this post

NollagShona said:
The IRFU have taken the line, a player had erred and taken his punishment then it’s done. This “ban for life” doesn’t exist and unions couldn’t bring in a rule to ban players for life the CAS has found against that time and again and they’d leave themselves open to litigation

This is not remotely true or relevant. Noone, absolutely noone, is asking for a life time ban.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this is about the drug issue alone. The press have been, very rightly, skewering the IRFU's total incompetence on many issues over the past 18 months. They're tired of losing so they're taking their ball and they're going home.

irishbucsfan said:
This is not remotely true or relevant. Noone, absolutely noone, is asking for a life time ban.

Just not play for an Irish province? He has served his ban you can’t legitimately exclude him based on some high moral ground position

What is your position?

Venjur Registered User

On a separate note, this is obviously hanging over Joe and before France there was a cloud hovering over Best. I'm not sure either have done anything wrong or had a hand in decisions that they are now answerable for. Maybe they did but no one knows and speculation is not something the media should indulge in. I really hope this isn't impacting the camp in general, it's certainly not an upbeat mood surrounding the players despite two wins on the trot.

Venjur said:
Far too little verified information to be making these kinds of statements. We've heard from exactly one side and one side only and hearing from the other side through them is not the same as hearing from the other side.

You know my opinion on drug use, but I'd like to hear what exactly the IRFU's issue is here. I can disagree with their stance on recruiting a doper but I can agree with them if some commentary on this is unreasonable or over the top. I don't point the finger at the player in this instance, I point the finger at Munster and the IRFU for hiring him, but a lot of the debate has gotten personal about the player which is wrong imo.

So if one journalist's commentary is unreasonable of over the top you would agree with the IRFU removing access for all print journalists across the board?

NollagShona said:
Just not play for an Irish province? He has served his ban you can’t legitimately exclude him based on some high moral ground position

What is your position?

Of course you can legitimately exclude a convicted cheater. There's absolutely no basis for what you're saying here. It's a completely legitimate reason to not hire someone.

The IRFU's policy is "zero tolerance", and they've proven there is absolutely no weight of meaning behind that policy.

3 people have thanked this post

irishbucsfan said:

Don't make the mistake of thinking this is about the drug issue alone. The press have been, very rightly, skewering the IRFU's total incompetence on many issues over the past 18 months. They're tired of losing so they're taking their ball and they're going home.

The press are only there to make a story- sell advertising.

How are the IRFU losing? They are just taking back control from the journos not allowing them to dictate the narrative.

Joe isn’t losing by any Means, the provinces are in rude health, who exactly is losing???

irishbucsfan said:
Of course you can legitimately exclude a convicted cheater. There's absolutely no basis for what you're saying here. It's a completely legitimate reason to not hire someone.

The IRFU's policy is "zero tolerance", and they've proven there is absolutely no weight of meaning behind that policy.

You cannot exclude someone based on something they have served their punishment for. See the Gatlan case in UK athletics. This isn’t just sport- it’s employment law

Former Former Registered User

Venjur said:

Sorry, you've misunderstood. The actual decision to hire Grobler is done and dusted. I don't want to drag that up.

However, the IRFU withdrawing from long-standing arrangements with the media and refusing a journalist access to a press conference is a very different issue and it is not on.

Again, some people will love this. Some people don't see the value in an independent press. I think it's a very sinister development.

2 people have thanked this post

Venjur said:
On a separate note, this is obviously hanging over Joe and before France there was a cloud hovering over Best. I'm not sure either have done anything wrong or had a hand in decisions that they are now answerable for. Maybe they did but no one knows and speculation is not something the media should indulge in. I really hope this isn't impacting the camp in general, it's certainly not an upbeat mood surrounding the players despite two wins on the trot.

The media salivate over that story like a dog with a bone. They can’t wait to publish the most seletios detail on the front of their webpage, without any regard for the alleged victim

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!