Retr0gamer Category Moderator

o1s1n said:
Does anyone else find the Analogue website a bit up it's own arse?

The Super Nt is not a plug n' play toy. It is the definitive way to explore Nintendo's 16-bit era.

16bit in 1080p is stunning. Every pixel is razor sharp, producing an astounding level of clarity. You'll experience video quality so extraordinary - it's like playing SNES for the first time.

We designed and manufactured the Super Nt with the utmost attention to detail. Engineered with an uncompromising attitude to quality.

There's something about the person's writing, it really gets on my tits.

To be fair to them, it's a fairly swanky piece of kit!

Inviere Registered User

Retr0gamer said:
To be fair to them, it's a fairly swanky piece of kit!

But straight off the bat it's not the 'definitive' way to explore the Snes' library. That'd be a Snes, an RGB cable, & a CRT tv. It's a fine product, perfect for the non-enthusiast, and indeed, an excellent way to play Snes games...but like said above, the marketing behind it, and the bs that goes with it, is hard to swallow. Personally I'll still happily take Retroarch, the Higan core (a cycle-exact Snes core), & some high end filters over any of these Snes do-da's....as TLB says, it's all a bit tiring at this stage. If I want the authentic experience, I'll buy a Snes; if I'm going to compromise, Higan does the job perfectly.

The Last Bandit Registered User

Do any of the frontend/emulators offer save sync across different devices ? So I can have a quick bash of Zelda in the jacks at work and seemlessly resume on my laptop or other device at home for instance ..

Retr0gamer Category Moderator

sram saves are usually all in the same format.

As for save states, they are usually a format specific to the emulator.

CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

I can hear it now
"Where's Bandit?"
"He said he heading into the toilets to play with Zelda"
"That's an actionable offence right there! SECURITY!!!!"

2 people have thanked this post
DK224 Registered User

I had mine delivered yesterday evening, had a quick game of it and am really impressed. Looks the bees knees on a large screen and the fact I could dust off my old games and controllers and hook them up is a nice touch as I can continue on from game saves over 20 years old!! Willing myself through work today to have a proper game of it later!

3 people have thanked this post
The Last Bandit Registered User

Retr0gamer said:
sram saves are usually all in the same format.

As for save states, they are usually a format specific to the emulator.

I suppose something could be hacked together dropbox/gdrive and using the same libretro core across all devices.

Steve X2 Moderator

Hacked already to load from SD card

3 people have thanked this post

Steve X2 said:
Hacked already to load from SD card

Damn, this makes me want it even more. Couldn't find find any info on google. I bought the mini but it's emulation is fairly dodgy on non standard games.

DK224 Registered User

There are probably far better games to play on the NT than a hacked version of ISS Deluxe with the real player names from 1995!!
Using the SD2SNES to play MSU1 SNES games on it works perfectly too, can't get over how good it looks on a large screen.

Would definitely recommend picking one up if you are on the fence.

2 people have thanked this post
Inviere Registered User

Just a note about the jailbroken firmware, it won't be able to play special chip games via SD card yet (only from the genuine carts).

eddhorse Registered User

FYI

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/963867188678443008

Some issues with the colours but being addressed with a firmware update

super_furry Registered User

The Last Bandit said:
Do any of the frontend/emulators offer save sync across different devices ? So I can have a quick bash of Zelda in the jacks at work and seemlessly resume on my laptop or other device at home for instance ..

RetroX on Android does that and does it very well. I often play on the Shield TV and then continue on the commute to work on a GPD XD.

1 person has thanked this post
super_furry Registered User

Inviere said:
Just a note about the jailbroken firmware, it won't be able to play special chip games via SD card yet (only from the genuine carts).

Think that's going to be the deciding factor for me. If I can play off an SD card, I'll pick one up in a heartbeat.

Colonel Panic Registered User

If you just want to play ROMs on your fancy TV, just use a hacked SNES Mini or something.

This thing is all about playing physical carts on a modern TV without the games looking dreadful.

I've got one and have put it through it's paces, it's a pretty cool piece of kit. I still play my SNES games a lot, but the missus is sick of having a 21" CRT in the house so this is a great compromise. Not that I'm going to get rid of the CRT or original SNES hardware any time soon!!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!