yop Moderator

Lads
We are back for year 5 of Ras Mhaigheo.
Entry is open online for the 2 Day A2/A3 race.

A4 race is on the day registration only.
All details are on our page.
https://www.westportcc.ie/2018/01/15/ras-mhaigh-eo-2018/

Any questions give me a shout or contact Richard our race director.

6 people have thanked this post
RowanHarley Registered User

Hm... The A4 race looks very flat. Are there no good races for A4's these days?

Esroh Registered User

RowanHarley said:

If your making that assumption from the profile, don't be fooled. A line on a map has caught many a man out.

elchupanebrey Registered User

As far as i know racers are permitted to make a race hard too! Just a thought!

2 people have thanked this post
JK.BMC Registered User

RowanHarley said:

Have you done many?
Racing in Mayo is some of the best in the country in my opinion.

1 person has thanked this post
Eamonnator Registered User

RowanHarley said:

No, not a one.
I think your best bet is to win a couple and get yourself up to A3 as quickly as possible.

yop Moderator

RowanHarley said:

Thats a very flat route, we tried finding a few fat flats, but Mayo is like any of the flat roads you'd find around Majorca or Lanzarote.

Best to HAMMER it from the drop of the flat and TT it all the way.

See you in March.

JK.BMC Registered User

yop said:
Thats a very flat route, we tried finding a few fat flats, but Mayo is like any of the flat roads you'd find around Majorca or Lanzarote.

Best to HAMMER it from the drop of the flat and TT it all the way.

See you in March.

Excellent advice there ðŸ˜႒

Holy God.... it the 2nd week of February and the complaints about A4 racing have started already. Give it another few days and the moaning about watts, average speeds and having to sprint will start again, as it has been for about the last 10 years.

Back on topic- won't make it to Mayo this time but will return later in the season; good to see racing in Connacht restored this season.

Chumpski Registered User

RowanHarley said:

Lacey Cup and Cycleways cup the first weekend in March have hills and are tough courses.

Theres also the race in Carlow that same weekend in March as the Ras Mhaigheo.

For St Patricks weekend, im not 100% sure on the course but id imagine the Carrick on Suir route might be hilly as ive never raced a flat course in Carrick.

Lots of hilly races, a few in April too with Stamullen and the Deenside cup.

And if not hilly, its up to the guys in the race to make it hard for the guys who want to sit in and wait for the sprint.

yop Moderator

Chumpski said:
Lacey Cup and Cycleways cup the first weekend in March have hills and are tough courses.

Theres also the race in Carlow that same weekend in March as the Ras Mhaigheo.

For St Patricks weekend, im not 100% sure on the course but id imagine the Carrick on Suir route might be hilly as ive never raced a flat course in Carrick.

Lots of hilly races, a few in April too with Stamullen and the Deenside cup.

And if not hilly, its up to the guys in the race to make it hard for the guys who want to sit in and wait for the sprint.

Markowiz Cup in Sligo has a slight hill in it also, well worth going to that if hills are required.

daragh_ Registered User

RowanHarley said:

Flat as a pancake. Attack at the back of the course around the N59. You'll probably win.

3 people have thanked this post
thekooman Registered User

the A4 race is always hard and usually breaks up either crossing to Delphi or the main road back in by the Church... hard roads and if the wind blows its even harder. most years its won by a break and won solo as well.

thekooman Registered User

yop said:
Markowiz Cup in Sligo has a slight hill in it also, well worth going to that if hills are required.

the Marky cup has the Hungry rock in it... 5mins at ur max and then the descent is even harder! last year only 2 A4's were left at the end when the scratch got them on the 2nd last lap. they basically dropped the rest of them. about 800metres of climbing in 60k-ish.

RowanHarley Registered User

thekooman said:
the Marky cup has the Hungry rock in it... 5mins at ur max and then the descent is even harder! last year only 2 A4's were left at the end when the scratch got them on the 2nd last lap. they basically dropped the rest of them. about 800metres of climbing in 60k-ish.

Ya i'm going to this race. The hill really suits me as I'm a very small rider (5ft 5'). As for the Ras Maigh Eo, not sure if it's a course that'd suit me. Not sure what my chances would be like if it came to a sprint although I do like getting into breakaways

Bambaata Registered User

yop said:

Nice hill alright! Hope to get back up to this race this year, and hopefully up that hill a bit faster this time!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!