BattleCorp Registered User

mikhail said:
Counterfeit? Monopoly money. When he complains, sue him for defamation.

Depending on how the bar handled this, I might buy that the lad's been defamed, but €5000?

I'm not commenting on whether or not the guy is genuine or not but how much is someone's good name worth?

It's certainly worth more than €5k.

Stonedpilot Registered User

rawn said:
My dad used to do it 3 nights a week, the money is not that bad. 25e, around 2e per delivery, roughly 6 deliveries an hour plus tips...

6 an hour hmmmmmm.

That's 10 minutes to wait for food, back into car off again and back in 10 minute!. Not a hope, unless person is doing deliveries in a helicopter.

It's usually 3/4 an hour if you are very lucky and fast.

The money is absolutely terrible.

You seriously saying €25 a shift isn't bad?. That's like €4/5 an hour. It's beyond shyt.

It's HALF minimum wage!

rawn Registered User

Stonedpilot said:
rawn said:
My dad used to do it 3 nights a week, the money is not that bad. 25e, around 2e per delivery, roughly 6 deliveries an hour plus tips...

6 an hour hmmmmmm.

That's 10 minutes to wait for food, back into car off again and back in 10 minute!. Not a hope, unless person is doing deliveries in a helicopter.

It's usually 3/4 an hour if you are very lucky and fast.

The money is absolutely terrible.

You seriously saying €25 a shift isn't bad?. That's like €4/5 an hour. It's beyond shyt.

It's HALF minimum wage!

No because you keep the delivery money too. And the driver doesn't go out with one delivery at a time it's minimum 3 unless it's mad quiet. It's MORE than minimum wages on a normal night. And it's local deliveries so it's not like you're driving all over Dublin. It's really not bad money I don't know why your insisting it is.

And even if he was earning so little then it does not make it ok to rip off the pub for some easy cash.

4 people have thanked this post
Guy:Incognito Registered User

BattleCorp said:
I'm not commenting on whether or not the guy is genuine or not but how much is someone's good name worth?

It's certainly worth more than €5k.

Good name to who? If he hadn't gone to court, the only people who'd have heard anything were whoever was within earshot in the pub.

Would your name be ruined anyway if people you know heard you went in to the pub, handed in a tenner and were told it's fake, then said OK and went on your way?

Unless they know you're a criminal or scumbag of some sort, most would just assume you got it in change and never noticed.

1 person has thanked this post

Guy:Incognito said:
Good name to who? If he hadn't gone to court, the only people who'd have heard anything were whoever was within earshot in the pub.

Once other people hear it, it's enough to defame you. I don't know the facts of the case other than what is reported here but it does seem that there were others within earshot.

Would your name be ruined anyway if people you know heard you went in to the pub, handed in a tenner and were told it's fake, then said OK and went on your way?

Unless they know you're a criminal or scumbag of some sort, most would just assume you got it in change and never noticed.
I've highlighted an important word in your last sentence. That word is MOST. If MOST people would assume that you got it in change and never noticed, then logically it would also mean that others would not assume that you accidentally received it in change somewhere else. As long as some people believe that he was trying to pass off forged notes on purpose, then he has been defamed.

I think it has been missed by a lot of people in this thread (not necessarily yourself) but the Circuit Court has already agreed that the man has been defamed. The pub are appealing it to the High Court. Crazy really because it will end up costing the pub a lot more than the original €5k awarded to yer man.

TheChizler Registered User

BattleCorp said:
I've highlighted an important word in your last sentence. That word is MOST. If MOST people would assume that you got it in change and never noticed, then logically it would also mean that others would not assume that you accidentally received it in change somewhere else. As long as some people believe that he was trying to pass off forged notes on purpose, then he has been defame.

For the likes of defamation isn't your reputation supposed to have been damaged in the eyes of a 'reasonable person', not 'some people'?

TheChizler said:
For the likes of defamation isn't your reputation supposed to have been damaged in the eyes of a 'reasonable person', not 'some people'?

The Circuit Court believed that he had been defamed.

If events transpired as the delivery driver said, he was also told to 'get out' by the barman. If that happened in combination with being told that the €10 was fake, then a reasonable person would think that the man was accused of trying to pass off a forgery as genuine.

dr.fuzzenstein Registered User

BattleCorp said:

Those circuit court judges do be making some strange decisions after their liquid lunch.
Seriously, they're insane alcoholics most of them. At least going by their decisions on compensation.

2 people have thanked this post
Carnut2015 Registered User

BattleCorp said:
Once other people hear it, it's enough to defame you. I don't know the facts of the case other than what is reported here but it does seem that there were others within earshot.

I've highlighted an important word in your last sentence. That word is MOST. If MOST people would assume that you got it in change and never noticed, then logically it would also mean that others would not assume that you accidentally received it in change somewhere else. As long as some people believe that he was trying to pass off forged notes on purpose, then he has been defamed.

I think it has been missed by a lot of people in this thread (not necessarily yourself) but the Circuit Court has already agreed that the man has been defamed. The pub are appealing it to the High Court. Crazy really because it will end up costing the pub a lot more than the original €5k awarded to yer man.

I`d imagine the pub are appealing the decision in an attempt to restore their own good name, I`m sure their own legal representation stipulated the potential costs within doing so

Would it not be logical to think that if you were so worried about your good name, why would you go through a court with a case (thats so downright silly) that you are near guaranteed national coverage on it? So instead of a few local whispers, people the chap doesn't even know is having a good oul giggle at him.

What about the pubs good name?

Carnut2015 said:
I`d imagine the pub are appealing the decision in an attempt to restore their own good name, I`m sure their own legal representation stipulated the potential costs within doing so

Would it not be logical to think that if you were so worried about your good name, why would you go through a court with a case (thats so downright silly) that you are near guaranteed national coverage on it? So instead of a few local whispers, people the chap doesn't even know is having a good oul giggle at him.

What about the pubs good name?

Pure speculation here but maybe the man reckoned that he had already been defamed at a local level and it's at local level where being defamed would have most effect. The prospect of compensation probably played a part in his decision.

Yes, the pub is entitled to its good name but the pub didn't take him to court or even claim that he defamed them.

dr.fuzzenstein said:
Those circuit court judges do be making some strange decisions after their liquid lunch.
Seriously, they're insane alcoholics most of them. At least going by their decisions on compensation.

The max in the circuit court is €75k. €60k for personal injury.

scamalert Registered User

BattleCorp said:
The max in the circuit court is €75k. €60k for personal injury.

look at his pic clearly injured walking barrel. so whats to stop someone pulling same scam, wave fake tenner, be in luck outside garda station swap note come back sue place= free cash.

how is this done any harm to him, were the people in the pub all his friends, he didnt have another 10er on him.

Id be pissed off about being told ive holding fake but not to the point to make national news as biggest muppet.

2 people have thanked this post
Carnut2015 Registered User

BattleCorp said:
Pure speculation here but maybe the man reckoned that he had already been defamed at a local level and it's at local level where being defamed would have most effect. The prospect of compensation probably played a part in his decision.

Yes, the pub is entitled to its good name but the pub didn't take him to court or even claim that he defamed them.

Isn't that an intrinsic part of the claims process though? Its reasonable to expect the pub will have some sort of damage to reputation as a result of the courts proceedings?

dr.fuzzenstein Registered User

If the ruling is overturned, could the pub sue the delivery driver for defamation?
I can only hope so, because there should be serious consequences for greedy bastards like him who sue because they smell money.
In general the worst that can happen in Ireland is "ah hard luck, but maybe next time"

TheChizler Registered User

BattleCorp said:

If events transpired as the delivery driver said, he was also told to 'get out' by the barman. If that happened in combination with being told that the €10 was fake, then a reasonable person would think that the man was accused of trying to pass off a forgery as genuine.

Possibly, but I'm questioning your assertion that the test relates to some people, not reasonable people.

To address your second point, why do we even have an appeals process if we should put so much weight on the circuit court's opinion?

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!