MilesMorales1 Registered User

A man says he was defamed when he was told by a barman that a €10 note he used to pay for a pint of lager was fake, the High Court heard.
Leonard Nolan (53) sued Laurence Lounge Ltd, trading as Grace's Pub of Rathmines, Dublin, for alleged defamation in the pub on April 24, 2013.
He was awarded €5,000 plus costs in the Circuit Court in 2016.

The pub appealed to the High Court which, on Friday, adjourned the matter to next week for legal submissions.

Asked by his counsel Jeremy Maher how he felt: "First I was nervous then I was devastated, words could not describe what I felt at being called a cheat".

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/delivery-driver-sues-south-dublin-pub-for-defamation-after-barman-said-10-note-was-fake-high-court-hears-36587091.html
Seems a bit strong to get money and claim to be defamed about it. I've been questioned about the legitimacy of money before when buying or selling in various shops or restaurants, its a tad irritating but not giving me an anxiety attack.

2 people have thanked this post
Odyssey 2005 Registered User

Compo culture. Probably needed the money to get a curry. .
Not a small chap.

13 people have thanked this post
Gatling Registered User

MilesMorales1 said:
Seems a bit strong to get money and claim to be defamed about it. I've been questioned about the legitimacy of money before when buying or selling in various shops or restaurants, its a tad irritating but not giving me an anxiety attack.

Even worse is claiming that the local Garda did tests on the note to confirm it was genuine ,only for local Gardai to take the stand as tell the court no such tests are done at any stations and they were not asked by anyone on the particular day at the station ,
So it is blatantly obvious he's lying about what he is claiming,
But expect him to receive compensation of some sort

7 people have thanked this post
SEPT 23 1989 Registered User

Leonard was nervous and devastated

badboyblast Registered User

Wasters , how are we entertaining them , the mind boggles

25 people have thanked this post
SeaFields Gone fishin'

Gatling said:

But expect him to receive compensation of some sort

Well he has. €5k awarded by the circuit court. The pub has appealed it to the high. If overturned and the costs are awarded against him in the high, he won't be drinking any pints for awhile.

14 people have thanked this post
enricoh Registered User

A fairly sensitive soul. A 53 year old delivery driver I would have thought would be used to the trials and tribulations of life. Obviously not, especially with no win no fee solicitors about!

16 people have thanked this post
whisky_galore Registered User

Fast food delivery man, I'd say he takes some work home with him.

We have turned into one compo chasing, litigious little country.

9 people have thanked this post

Wait a minute.

His story is that he left the pub, got it checked by the Gardaí and then went back into the pub to inform the barman that the Gardaí had verified it was real.

The Gardaí - on the surface of it, as credible a witness you could have in an Irish court case - have denied this and said they don't even have such a machine to check the legitimacy of notes.

And he WON the case?

What the fúck is wrong with the courts?

117 people have thanked this post
Odhinn Registered User

I thought defamation had to be written/published...

badboyblast Registered User

A friend of mine clipped another drivers wing mirror in traffic and they claimed for whiplash.

cars were barely moving , the claimant said she couldn't attend work, my friend knew where she worked ( polish community , they all know each other ) and went and took pictures of her at work and her car being there and gave them to the insurance company but they said they couldn't use them .

They also said they were going to pay out as when the judge sees there was impact he will rule against them , over ten grand the c##£ got for a broken wing mirror.

My friend had to sell their car and go down to one car between them after the claim as the insurance was too high , this country is a joke when it comes to claims

28 people have thanked this post
Roger Hassenforder Registered User

The bottom button on the shirt said "fcuk this" and let go...

4 people have thanked this post
Cherry_Cola Registered User

Haha the gut hanging out in the picture of him and all! Maybe he needs the money for tailored clothes!

Atoms for Peace Registered User

"Under common law, to constitute defamation, a claim must generally be false and must have been made to someone other than the person defamed.[2] Some common law jurisdictions also distinguish between spoken defamation, called slander, and defamation in other media such as printed words or images, called libel.[3]"

According to wikipedia it wasn't even defamation.

1 person has thanked this post
MilesMorales1 Registered User

Odhinn said:
I thought defamation had to be written/published...

Isn't that Libel?

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!