Nomis21 Registered User
#1

http://www.thejournal.ie/tory-island-ferry-row-2-3841581-Feb2018/

Seems crazy to give the contract to someone with such an old boat.

The ferry is the lifeline for everyone who lives on Tory. Seas can be treacherous at the best of times around Tory and the operator who had the contract for the last five years did a good job and was well respected by the people of the island.

Also seems to me that the Government were only concerned with the price and not so much about the welfare and safety of the islanders

15 people have thanked this post
Spanish Eyes Registered User
#2

They want the residents all back on the mainland.

It costs a lot to deliver the ballot boxes to these places. Boats, boxes, Gardai. Not to mind when someone gets sick, or the place runs out of Guinness.

1 person has thanked this post
silverharp Registered User
#3

it would make a good prison , just catapult bags of spuds over every so often.

17 people have thanked this post
keith_sixteen Registered User
#4

Spanish Eyes said:
They want the residents all back on the mainland.

It costs a lot to deliver the ballot boxes to these places. Boats, boxes, Gardai. Not to mind when someone gets sick, or the place runs out of Guinness.


Everyone should live in Dublin. That's where all the stuff is.

21 people have thanked this post
seamus Dental Plan!
#5

Nomis21 said:
http://www.thejournal.ie/tory-island-ferry-row-2-3841581-Feb2018/

Seems crazy to give the contract to someone with such an old boat.

The ferry is the lifeline for everyone who lives on Tory. Seas can be treacherous at the best of times around Tory and the operator who had the contract for the last five years did a good job and was well respected by the people of the island.

Also seems to me that the Government were only concerned with the price and not so much about the welfare and safety of the islanders
Does it make a difference? Have there been seismic shifts in the way the we build boats since 1976?

A quick search suggests that particular boat has recently undergone a pretty big refurb.

Boats are generally designed for longevity, it's not unusual to see them in operation for 50 years or more.

So the age of the boat alone shouldn't be an issue. If she's seaworthy and is equipped with modern safety and navigation equipment, what's the problem?

49 people have thanked this post
FCIM Registered User
#6

The Tories don't deserve any better!

2 people have thanked this post
GLaDOS Testing
#7

I thought this thread was going to be about Brexit

23 people have thanked this post
Alun Registered User
#8

I'm confused as to this "threat" to leave the island unless the existing ferry is reinstated. Let them leave, what's the problem?

3 people have thanked this post
Spanish Eyes Registered User
#9

I do realise that the islanders have their own way of life and living, and are probably happy with their surroundings.

But looking it up there it is surely isolated alright. And it doesn't have the same draw as the Aran Islands either where outsiders visit every day.

I would hate it. I wonder how many twenty somethings live there and enjoy the isolation. Maybe some do.

Anyway, unless there is a Garda Station on the island the pubs probably never close. That might keep them sane.

1 person has thanked this post
Ajsoprano Registered User
#10

I sometimes think that subsidized areas can just receive whatever tax they pay and be told to run a boat service road service guard service and all other services and subsidies out of it. They may even cheer for a certain gaa club they all boo to get their creeky boat back.

2 people have thanked this post
whisky_galore Registered User
#11

Is there evidence that the ferry is unsafe?

If it meets or exceeds all that is looked for in the lines of surveys/inspections etc, I don't see what the problem is.

2 people have thanked this post
CrankyHaus Registered User
#12

seamus said:
Does it make a difference? Have there been seismic shifts in the way the we build boats since 1976?

A quick search suggests that particular boat has recently undergone a pretty big refurb.

Boats are generally designed for longevity, it's not unusual to see them in operation for 50 years or more.

So the age of the boat alone shouldn't be an issue. If she's seaworthy and is equipped with modern safety and navigation equipment, what's the problem?


Well they currently have one 20 years newer that they seem happy with so they may ask why something so critical to safety and life on the island is being made worse.

However there may be more to this. For example the current boat owner may simply be enlisting family and friends to support his position after he lost the tender.

4 people have thanked this post
loyatemu Registered User
#13

For reference...

Queen of Aran:

(Invalid img)

Tormór (the current ferry):

(Invalid img)

13 people have thanked this post
Johnny Dogs Registered User
#14

I blame this little bollox.

1 person has thanked this post
seamus Dental Plan!
#15

CrankyHaus said:
Well they currently have one 20 years newer that they seem happy with so they may ask why something so critical to safety and life on the island is being made worse.
Is it being made worse though?

Humans have been building boats for thousands of year, so we've gotten pretty good at it. The underlying methods and technology for creating a boat haven't changed in 20 years, so there's nothing to say that a newer boat is actually better. It comes down to which one was last overhauled. Once the hull is solid, everything inside the hull is just decoration.

However there may be more to this. For example the current boat owner may simply be enlisting family and friends to support his position after he lost the tender.
True, true. Could easily just be a "we don't like change!" complaint from locals who've gotten friendly with the last captain.

5 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!