Kermit.de.frog Registered User

Might as well get the ball rolling here so as to put the other thread to rest finally.

Potential hazards:

Ice
Snow
Low Temperatures

Areas most at Risk:

Ulster
Connaught
West Munster

During Saturday evening a much colder northwesterly airflow will become established over the country bringing heavy snow showers to primarily (but not exclusively) the western half of the country Saturday night and more widespread through Sunday with accumulations likely (finally some daytime snow ). Snow showers will continue in western and northern areas through Sunday night and Monday (occasionally some drifting to eastern parts).

On Monday evening rain moves in from the west and could turn to snow for many but, if not, particularly the northwest is at risk. It may also turn to snow more generally before moving in to the Irish sea later Monday night.

Keep an eye on this as any snowfall would be significant.

Cold throughout.

Night time temperatures will range 0 - -5c during Saturday, Sunday and the first part of Monday night. Temperatures during Sunday will also be very low - just above freezing generally but lower where snow lies.

This looks disruptive for the western half of the country and occasionally could be disruptive in eastern parts also especially Saturday night and in to Sunday.

Most of all enjoy it if you can

26 people have thanked this post
munsterlegend Registered User

Is this as promising as last night in terms of cold enough uppers?

Kermit.de.frog Registered User

munsterlegend said:
Is this as promising as last night in terms of cold enough uppers?

Couple of degrees lower generally

6 people have thanked this post
Rebelbrowser Registered User

6z gfs precipitation chart for 6pm Sunday....

Think we are looking good for precipitation to be snow (see charts below), we just need the precipitation. As last night showed, Feb is the best time for westerly sourced snow as sea temps are so low so modification is minimised.

Uppers...

2m temps..

Rather spectacular dew points...

3 people have thanked this post
pad199207 Registered User

Rebelbrowser said:
6z gfs precipitation chart for 6pm Sunday....

Think we are looking good for precipitation to be snow (see charts below), we just need the precipitation. As last night showed, Feb is the best time for westerly sourced snow as sea temps are so low so modification is minimised.

Uppers...

2m temps..

Rather spectacular dew points...

Usually if the temperatures are there it means that the precipitation isn’t there

5 people have thanked this post
munsterlegend Registered User

Are the winds strong to bring the showers inland? Hopefully a trough will develop.

Nettle Soup Registered User

You the man Kermit!

You gave me snow when pessimism reigned.

My hopes are high again.

2 people have thanked this post
Larbre34 Registered User

munsterlegend said:
Are the winds strong to bring the showers inland? Hopefully a trough will develop.

That would be the gravy alright, nice bit of deep Greenland express contrast over the sea temps, could get a few beefy troughs.

pauldry Registered User

Even though i hate this cold isnt this a brilliant Winter for wintryness

Remember 2012 - 2017 when we used to fantasise about temperatures going below 10c ...in five days.

Now its non stop wintry showers with the odd day at 9c

24 people have thanked this post

pauldry said:
Even though i hate this cold isnt this a brilliant Winter for wintryness

Remember 2012 - 2017 when we used to fantasise about temperatures going below 10c ...in five days.

Now its non stop wintry showers with the odd day at 9c

Absolutely. I don't think my area had charts as good as next Sunday more than once or twice in a reliable timeframe in the last 5 years. Now its just another chance at getting snow. We would have been on page 50 of this thread by now last year!

giveitholly Registered User

Yeah it has been a great winter for snow,nearly everyone has seen some fall,I know some people crave this beast from the east so hopefully it delivers for the east coast in the next few weeks

1 person has thanked this post

Euro 04 for Sunday morning....

Would be lovely to have a snowy day on a Sunday. I can play in the snow and pretend I'm only doing it for my kids......

7 people have thanked this post
downwiththatsor Registered User

giveitholly said:
Yeah it has been a great winter for snow,nearly everyone has seen some fall,I know some people crave this beast from the east so hopefully it delivers for the east coast in the next few weeks

Nearly but not everyone has seen some fall I am afraid
So far that is

giveitholly Registered User

downwiththatsor said:
Nearly but not everyone has seen some fall I am afraid
So far that is

Yeah hopefully that changes for you

pilly Registered User

giveitholly said:

We have but I'd like to see a big deep snow that lasts a couple of days.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!