dmcm_90 Registered User

Hi thinking of doing a day trip over to holy head and I'm wondering if you can buy bottles of spirts in say asda and bring them back home with you on the ferry as a foot passenger to take back home or is ferry the same as airport were you must have under 100ml
Any other advice on what can be allowed if I do shopping over there.

Cookie_Monster Registered User

there are no restrictions in the EU for personal use. In terms of what the companies would allow

Irish Ferries
You can bring as much hand luggage as you can comfortably carry, but it must be packed in a suitcase or bag. No boxes or loose items are acceptable as hand luggage. One small piece of hand luggage will be permitted to be carried with you – the rest will be checked through our luggage handling facility. Please note that each item of checked in luggage must not weigh more than 22kg and you will not be able to access these items during the crossing.

Odyssey 2005 Registered User

No restrictions,if you can carry it on board you can keep it...if it's legal of course

L1011 Moderator

The savings are usually not worth it except during the pre Christmas sales; which is a more major issue

dmcm_90 Registered User

Cookie_Monster said:
there are no restrictions in the EU for personal use. In terms of what the companies would allow
there not clear on alcohol purchased in a store on land to bring home on foot. It's the 6.50 ticket paying

Wishbone Ash Registered User

dmcm_90 said:
Hi thinking of doing a day trip over to holy head..
Have you ever spent any time there? It's a kip. I had to kill 8 hours there a few years ago and it felt like a life sentence.

22 people have thanked this post
Stephen15 Registered User

A quick word of warning there is nothing in Holyhead it's dare I say a shíthole. If cheap UK booze is what your after then your better off going up North. You'd save time and money going up North if you have a car and you will get a better selection of shops than in Holyhead.

9 people have thanked this post
godtabh Moderator

Wishbone Ash said:
Have you ever spent any time there? It's a kip. I had to kill 8 hours there a few years ago and it felt like a life sentence.

I did it with a bike a couple of years ago waiting for a train. Didn’t feel safe!

1 person has thanked this post
dmcm_90 Registered User

Wishbone Ash said:

I have been over in the past by car. The place seems fine to me. I'm only going over to do something different than do a day trip hear. I don't have to stay in holy head. Cam go other places if I wish

godtabh Moderator

dmcm_90 said:
I have been over in the past by car. The place seems fine to me. I'm only going over to do something different than do a day trip hear. I don't have to stay in holy head. Cam go other places if I wish

Aren’t you very limited by foot?

3 people have thanked this post
L1011 Moderator

The museum of failed retailers, also know as the high street; the I can't believe it has a food safety certificate takeaways: the fighting pubs. Holyhead has it all!

9 people have thanked this post
Macy0161 Registered User

godtabh said:
Aren’t you very limited by foot?

The Asda is in an out of town retail park too.

Can only echo the previous comments of it as a place - best thing in it is the (now) dual carriageway out of the place.

2 people have thanked this post
dmcm_90 Registered User

I don't want to know what the place is like all I want to know is are you allowed alcohol on in carry on. It's for drinking on the ferry bit to take home. that's all I asked
It's not for drink I'm going it's just to get of the island for a few hours instead of doing something. I might buy a bottle of something if it caches my eye. Like a flavoured bottle of vofka we don't have over hear

L1011 Moderator

They won't let you drink alcohol you brought on

vandriver Registered User

Don't forget the chipper I went into that seemed to be staffed by the local asylum.

7 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!