devnull Moderator

trellheim said:
Is Busconnect actually going to happen , if so whats first ?

This is the last update on the project from a conference held last week.

AlekSmart Registered User

trellheim said:
Is Busconnect actually going to happen , if so whats first ?

The first element was implimented on 1st Feb...The elimination of the City-Centre Fare.

1 person has thanked this post
Technocentral Registered User

Schools off this week, heaven. Got a half empty 140 at 8.30 on Finglas Road, pity there aren't dedicated School buses.

2 people have thanked this post
AlekSmart Registered User

Technocentral said:
Schools off this week, heaven. Got a half empty 140 at 8.30 on Finglas Road, pity there aren't dedicated School buses.

There are quite a few dedicated School Services,both Dublin Bus contracted and privately contracted by the Schools themselves.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/Contracted-Services/

however,in the current environment,it's not the chizzlers themselves who represent the problem,but rather the Teaching and Administrative staff,most of whom Drive their cars into School.

The lack of flexibility around School Start/Finish times added to the now traditional parental "Schoolrun" also add substantially to what is now a VERY serious traffic management and public transport issue.....as well as being an "untouchable" in Local Political terms.

1 person has thanked this post
Technocentral Registered User

AlekSmart
There are quite a few dedicated School Services,both Dublin Bus contracted and privately contracted by the Schools themselves.

3 or 4 busses go by full I got on half empty bus at 8.30am, that only happens when school breaks are on

Stephen15 Registered User

Technocentral said:

Maybe it would be better if parents sent their children to the nearest school instead of one that requires a bus journey.

Also a large amount of school children are still paying they should make schoolchild fare leap only and then they'd switch fairly quick.

StreetLight Registered User

sunrainmooncl said:
The drivers regularly skip this stop

They shouldn't.

Cookie_Monster Registered User

AlekSmart said:
The first element was implimented on 1st Feb...The elimination of the City-Centre Fare.

Hardly a positive first step from a customer point of view?

2 people have thanked this post

cuckmeister said:
It's quite a predicament. Do you:
A) have a bus jam-packed with people to a dangerous degree?
or
B) drive past commuters but win nothing but their spite and vitriol in the process?

I am aware that the passenger limit for Dublin Bus is at 91 but let's face it: this is just too high and should never be reached. Anyone who's ever been on an overcrowded Dublin Bus knows how uncomfortable and claustrophobic it can be.

Either way, both circumstances are absolutely unacceptable and a proactive approach by the CIÉ needs to be taken in order to improve the currently dismal quality of Irish public transport. Whether that means reducing the number of people on board or increasing funding to allow for larger buses, all that I know is that the government is sitting on its hand, and at this stage, that just doesn't cut it.

On the continent or at least in Italy where I was there does not seem to be any legal limit on how many standing passengers a bus can take. I travelled on a number of buses there and they were all absolutely packed with very little breathing space but the driver kept picking passengers up despite this. Although the buses were all better designed for standing than DB buses.

n!ghtmancometh Registered User

cuckmeister said:
It's quite a predicament. Do you:
A) have a bus jam-packed with people to a dangerous degree?
or
B) drive past commuters but win nothing but their spite and vitriol in the process?

I am aware that the passenger limit for Dublin Bus is at 91 but let's face it: this is just too high and should never be reached. Anyone who's ever been on an overcrowded Dublin Bus knows how uncomfortable and claustrophobic it can be.

Either way, both circumstances are absolutely unacceptable and a proactive approach by the CIÉ needs to be taken in order to improve the currently dismal quality of Irish public transport. Whether that means reducing the number of people on board or increasing funding to allow for larger buses, all that I know is that the government is sitting on its hand, and at this stage, that just doesn't cut it.

The newer model busses even make it uncomfortable for two people to sit beside each other upstairs because of the awkward height of the window ledge. If you are sitting inside its difficult to move your arm, and if you're sitting outside you can barely fit on the seat. I'm tall but not wide, so can only imagine how uncomfortable it must be for bulky people. This wasn't an issue on the older busses (AV?) as the lower window ledge enabled you to sit into the seat fully and rest your shoulder/arm a bit on the ledge. Pain in the hoop. I generally stand now because of this.

n!ghtmancometh said:
The newer model busses even make it uncomfortable for two people to sit beside each other upstairs because of the awkward height of the window ledge. If you are sitting inside its difficult to move your arm, and if you're sitting outside you can barely fit on the seat. I'm tall but not wide, so can only imagine how uncomfortable it must be for bulky people. This wasn't an issue on the older busses (AV?) as the lower window ledge enabled you to sit into the seat fully and rest your shoulder/arm a bit on the ledge. Pain in the hoop. I generally stand now because of this.

That's the SGs I agree their windows are rather poor but they are better than the older buses. The best buses in my opinion are the GTs which have nice large windows.

The seats on the AVs which you talk about aren't great as the backs of them are at a right angle meaning they'd hit off a a tall persons knees and they've got a metal bar on them meaning if you sit back it sticks into you also people are less likely to manspread on individual seats.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!