fly_agaric Registered User

Noticed this piece on the Journal today:

Packed buses are driving past angry morning commuters - but what can Dublin Bus do?

"DUBLIN BUS HAS said it will 'continuously review' demand for services amid the capital's ongoing traffic issues and an increased number of commuters travelling into the city.

The start of the new year and the implementation of the new Luas Cross City has seen frequent jams in some areas and changes have already been introduced to help alleviate problems.

But other issues have been identified by commuters, such as trams and buses being full to capacity and unable to stop for waiting passengers."

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-bus-traffic-commuters-3829070-Feb2018/

It is something I'd noticed on the various "39/37" etc routes, getting worse over the past year or so and affecting in to city/out of city directions during the "rush 3 - 4 hours" in morning and evening.

On way out of the city centre, by 1st stop on the quays, buses are full to bursting between about 4 pm and up to 7 pm. Considered moaning about it somewhere (Dublin Bus, TII, NTA, politicians??) but whats the point? Probably even more of a waste of time than sending words out into the void on here.

Who am I fooling, cattle don't get to complain, pay up like a good mug + squeeze on...plenty of room down the back! Anyway have others had such issues with other bus routes or is the article nonsense?

1 person has thanked this post
eet fuk Registered User

On yer bike

8 people have thanked this post
thomasj Registered User

fly_agaric
It is something I'd noticed on the various "39/37" etc routes, getting worse over the past year or so and affecting in to city/out of city directions during the "rush 3 - 4 hours" in morning and evening.

Yeah the usual this evening after 7pm 37 flying past on the quays full same with the 39a. The next bus that came just about enough space for us.

Another thing that has cropped up is DBs definition of the morning peak. Even if you look at dublins recent announcements for extra morning peak hour buses it was for between 7am - 8am?

Certainly on my route 39a the route is very busy right up to after 9am.

2 people have thanked this post
fly_agaric Registered User

thomasj said:
Yeah the usual this evening after 7pm 37 flying past on the quays full same with the 39a. The next bus that came just about enough space for us...

yes, was quite bad this evening, which prompted the post also. Overloads (or just very heavy loads) of passengers on these routes do seem (to me) to be getting more frequent, and also occurring during a longer time window than they used to in the past.

On yer bike

Maybe next new years' resolution.
Lord make me chaste but not just yet.

Atlantic Dawn Registered User

A good step might be to limit use of free travel by elderly to off peak times like it was originally.

13 people have thanked this post
devnull Moderator

There was an increase of fleet size in Dublin Bus at the end of 2017 by approx 30 buses to be used for increasing the reliability of existing services to reduce the likelihood of dropped laps by increasing running time on some services, as well as adding extra timetabled departures on a number of routes.

So far this year we've seen enhancements on 33b, 33d, 44, 44b, 65 and 65b in the first half of January, whilst in the last week or two we've seen the same on route 9, 15, 25a, 25b, 26, 46a, 66 and 67 and substantial increases of service levels on the 140 which were implemented this weekend.

There is said to be more changes to be made in the coming weeks for a number of other routes, including the extension of route 40D to Hollystown, a new route from Finglas to Broombridge and some increases on cross city routes but bills have to be agreed and approved with unions before these can happen and appropriate notice given.

In addition, by the end of the year the total number of vehicles used on the routes operated by Dublin Bus at present will increase from approx 1000 to over 1100 which should allow for substantial increases in capacity.

Also it's likely that a number of the current issues are not helped by the issues with the new LUAS line.

suicide_circus Registered User

Seen it happen pretty frequently on the 747. Tourists yelling as the bus sails past.

Mongfinder General Registered User

devnull said:
There was an increase of fleet size in Dublin Bus at the end of 2017 by approx 30 buses to be used for increasing the reliability of existing services to reduce the likelihood of dropped laps by increasing running time on some services, as well as adding extra timetabled departures on a number of routes.

So far this year we've seen enhancements on 33b, 33d, 44, 44b, 65 and 65b in the first half of January, whilst in the last week or two we've seen the same on route 9, 15, 25a, 25b, 26, 46a, 66 and 67 and substantial increases of service levels on the 140 which were implemented this weekend.

There is said to be more changes to be made in the coming weeks for a number of other routes, including the extension of route 40D to Hollystown, a new route from Finglas to Broombridge and some increases on cross city routes but bills have to be agreed and approved with unions before these can happen and appropriate notice given.

In addition, by the end of the year the total number of vehicles used on the routes operated by Dublin Bus at present will increase from approx 1000 to over 1100 which should allow for substantial increases in capacity.

The Finglas to Broombridge service is utter nonsense. It takes commuters on a detour through tolka valley to connect with a tram in broombridge. It would be quicker just going to town via the old finglas Road

devnull Moderator

suicide_circus said:
Seen it happen pretty frequently on the 747. Tourists yelling as the bus sails past.

Should take that one up with Dublin Bus since it's a commercial route, whilst there are other options that serve the airport such as the 16/41/700/702/703/757 that all overlap to some degree with the 747.

Mongfinder General said:
The Finglas to Broombridge service is utter nonsense. It takes commuters on a detour through tolka valley to connect with a tram in broombridge. It would be quicker just going to town via the old finglas Road

Has the route that the bus is going to take been officially confirmed yet? I've seen a lot of speculation but I've not seen anything official from either the NTA or Dublin Bus in relation to this.

"Asked whether Dublin Bus has the freedom to add more buses to a route if demand is there, the NTA said a process is in place where such an application can be made.

“Basically, the situation is that they’re (Dublin Bus) under contract with the NTA, they’re the providers, they’re contracted to us. If they want to vary the conditions of the contract, they put a formal process to us and we would consider it and make a detention as to whether it goes ahead or not,” O’Gara explains."

What have i posted here before?
DB cant put extra buses on without the permission of the NTA, and here it proof from the horses mouth.

devnull Moderator

I don't think anyone disputed that Dublin Bus cannot change the timetable themselves without permission of the NTA.

hardanro Registered User

No, the article is not non-sense.
On finglas road, between 7:30 and 9 no buses are stopping (nevermind travelling like a cattle - you're lucky if you actually can get on a bus). And this is with all the bragging about new bragged increase service levels on 140, which didn't bring any improvement this week.
And, if the problem wasn't bad enough, 1 in 3 buses don't even turn up.

devnull said:
I don't think anyone disputed that Dublin Bus cannot change the timetable themselves without permission of the NTA.

No mention of timetable anywhere.

devnull Moderator

hardanro said:
No, the article is not non-sense.
On finglas road, between 7:30 and 9 no buses are stopping (nevermind travelling like a cattle - you're lucky if you actually can get on a bus). And this is with all the bragging about new bragged increase service levels on 140, which didn't bring any improvement this week.
And, if the problem wasn't bad enough, 1 in 3 buses don't even turn up.

Certainly there are issues in some routes at certain times of the day - but I find it hard to believe the claim that the 40/40D/140 are not able to stop for an entire 90 minute period on Finglas Road - I have used those routes in morning peak in the last few weeks and whilst there are some heavily loaded buses, there are also a good number with spare capacity too when taking all three routes into consideration.

If buses are not running in early morning peak, presumably on their first journey after leaving Harristown, then this would indicate an operational issue on the side of Dublin Bus since these buses would start their day in the garage and then go direct to the 40/140/40D terminus and then operate out.

hardanro Registered User

A tweet from this morning:

https://twitter.com/dublinbusnews/status/960795528303964160

I was also at the bus stop (Ardmore Hotel) around 8 am. There was already 15 people waiting and more coming. After the first 2 buses didn't stop (40D & 140) I realized that the situation will only get worse so I walk up the road.
I managed to get on a bus at 8:30 in Finglas village. The bus didn't stop to pick up other passengers until St Vincent School.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!