Icsics Registered User

This is not what I was expecting, it’s very sad ! Only the inventor seems happy. Poor old Billy with his pubs & expensive driveway!

11 people have thanked this post
pinkypinky Moderator

Found it a tough watch.

1 person has thanked this post
PTH2009 Registered User

Feck forget about it

Must catch it on the player, it's on RTE +1 now but rather watch from the start

I'd he thrilled If I won the lotto tbh

madmaggie Registered User

I admire the lady in Donegal for staying in her family home and doing what makes her happy. She probably is smart enough to realise that many of her inventions will go nowhere, but she seems very happy and content.

horseburger Registered User

Here's an interview by Joe Finnegan on Shannonside Radio, with Billy Comer, who is interviewed on the RTE TV programme.

http://www.shannonside.ie/uncategorised/word-wise-euromillions-winner/

NIMAN Registered User

madmaggie said:
I admire the lady in Donegal for staying in her family home and doing what makes her happy. She probably is smart enough to realise that many of her inventions will go nowhere, but she seems very happy and content.

Well the 2 she showed us were absolutely stupid and have zero chance of making her a penny.

As for Mr Comer, kinda felt sorry for him, but at least he owns a few properties, I'm sure if hes stuck he would get 50k or so for them all if he decided to sell them on, would help with his retirement.

Sad to hear him say he hadn't the money to finish the work on one, when his two brothers set up a billion pound business.

2 people have thanked this post
123balltv Registered User

I enjoyed it I'm more used to watching Americans discuss their lotto wins although they've no choice
Fame or fortune .... fortune every time.

fergus1001 Registered User

The ultimate "that one and her lotto winnings who does she think she is" show

spyderski Registered User

NIMAN said:

As for Mr Comer, kinda felt sorry for him, but at least he owns a few properties, I'm sure if hes stuck he would get 50k or so for them all if he decided to sell them on, would help with his retirement.

Sad to hear him say he hadn't the money to finish the work on one, when his two brothers set up a billion pound business.

Don't be feeling too sorry for him. He was in the revenue for 30 years. He has a cushy pension of €50/60k coming in every year for the rest of his life. And a lovely driveway.

6 people have thanked this post
Badly Drunk Boy Registered User

Icsics said:
This is not what I was expecting, it’s very sad ! Only the inventor seems happy. Poor old Billy with his pubs & expensive driveway!

Jim from the Curragh seemed happy enough with the 'his and hers' jeeps, clearing the mortgage, and money left over to help his 7 kids.

NIMAN Registered User

Badly Drunk Boy said:
Jim from the Curragh seemed happy enough with the 'his and hers' jeeps, clearing the mortgage, and money left over to help his 7 kids.

Anyone else think it was rather extravagant to buy 2 brand new cars with his winnings?

I know that he said he got 8 or 10k scrappage with 2 old bangers, but I'd say those two car cost at least 30k each....say 60k - 10k scrappage, he was still using a 10th of his winnings just to buy 2 new cars.

NIMAN Registered User

spyderski said:
Don't be feeling too sorry for him. He was in the revenue for 30 years. He has a cushy pension of €50/60k coming in every year for the rest of his life. And a lovely driveway.

To be fair, it was a nice driveway. And all those lights too.

2 people have thanked this post
markodaly Registered User

It is interesting here peoples perceptions on the people in the programe but I think it highlights the power of positive thinking.

The woman from Donegal, the inventor was a bit barmy. Her 'inventions' were $hite and wont make her a penny, but her positive attitude is what will keep her going regardless. She has happiness in what she is doing. Better to sink €20,000 into a stupid invention than blow €500,000 on a pub that turns out to be a white elephant.

That Cormer person I feel for. I sense a lot of self loathing, where the lottery win made things worse for him. I suspect there is a sense that his brothers were so successful, yet got given a lotto win to try his hands in business and he failed utterly. It was a bit weird seeing him talk to others in the town, you got the sense that there is a lot more to the story as people seemed cold to him.

The guy who won the €500,000 and bought two new SUV's. He wont have much left if he goes on like that. He has a lot of kids as well to 'look after'. Its easy to piss it all away.

9 people have thanked this post
markodaly Registered User

NIMAN said:
Anyone else think it was rather extravagant to buy 2 brand new cars with his winnings?

I know that he said he got 8 or 10k scrappage with 2 old bangers, but I'd say those two car cost at least 30k each....say 60k - 10k scrappage, he was still using a 10th of his winnings just to buy 2 new cars.

I groaned when I saw that. Ok, fair enough if you won the Euro Millions or even a €3-4 million jackpot, but €500,000 is actually **** all in the grand scheme of things. The minute he drove those SUV's out the garage he lost at least 10k on depreciation.

3 people have thanked this post
ednwireland Moderator

NIMAN said:

and the only time in his life he'll probably be able to do that, wouldnt begrudge him that.

33 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!