Working class heroes Registered User

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mint-condition-toyota-corolla/17231137

Would anyone have any thoughts on the above link please.
I’m looking for reliable modern-classic. I was originally looking for a mk2/3 golf gti and was considering a bmw as well but my search for these are proving fruitless.
I came across this Corolla which has tickled my fancy. I can’t really find anything to compare it with price wise so if someone in the know could advise on this and maybe some general info comments. Any help would be much appreciated.

elperello Registered User

It looks like a good one.

It appears, subject to the usual caveats, to be a nice example of an everyday car from the eighties.
Maybe a little expensive but if you plan on keeping it that should not worry you unduly.
The cost of doing up a bad one should be borne in mind.

GTI's and BMW's were not everyday cars so are really a different proposition.

1 person has thanked this post

elperello said:
It looks like a good one.

It appears, subject to the usual caveats, to be a nice example of an everyday car from the eighties.
Maybe a little expensive but if you plan on keeping it that should not worry you unduly.
The cost of doing up a bad one should be borne in mind.

GTI's and BMW's were not everyday cars so are really a different proposition.

Thanks for that. Thought it was a bit on the expensive side alright.
Yes I plan to keep it for a good few years so I don’t mind paying a premium for the right car. In general can you tell me what these are like, known issues and the like? Thanks again.

Farmer Tom Banned

A bag of sand really it’s value.

Farmer Tom said:
A bag of sand really it’s value.

Ah I’m well versed in the vast array of of sayings and phrases of this fine isle but that has me stumped a bit. However I’ll hazard two guesses. It’s worth fcuk all or, it’s worth whatever someone is will to pay for it. Am I right

goldenwonders Registered User

A bag of sand = a grand :-)

2 people have thanked this post
kev1.3s Registered User

Working class heroes said:
Ah I’m well versed in the vast array of of sayings and phrases of this fine isle but that has me stumped a bit. However I’ll hazard two guesses. It’s worth fcuk all or, it’s worth whatever someone is will to pay for it. Am I right

Bag of sand= a grand.
Although not to my taste it is worth more than 1k.
I'd much prefer the corolla ke70.

Farmer Tom Banned

What do you think it’s value is Kev?

Doctors room ghost Registered User

Offer him 1500 for it in cash.shes never worth 4K.worst hel say is fcuk off.the zv plate would put me off and the steering wheel not centred,she’s upside down at only a small turn parked.looks alright from pictures but I’d check well underneath it if I was going to buy it for rot and rust.If it went through an auction I doubt it would touch 2k.they are fairly scarce but they were never an oil painting to start with. If you like it offer what you are comfortable with but don’t get robbed on it.

kev1.3s said:
Bag of sand= a grand.
Although not to my taste it is worth more than 1k.
I'd much prefer the corolla ke70.

I honestly never heard that before
Jaysus it’s like asking a farmer how many acres he/she has
I know it’s subjective but would it be worth 3 bags, maybe 3 bags and a Shovel full? I’m just looking ball park here folks as I can’t find anything to compare it too!

P.S. I’m new to all this vintage crack but I’ll check out some ke70’s. Any suggestions?
Thanks again.

Farmer Tom Banned

€1,200 - €1,500 really at a push. Nice car for a Toyota showroom.

elperello Registered User

Working class heroes said:
Thanks for that. Thought it was a bit on the expensive side alright.
Yes I plan to keep it for a good few years so I don’t mind paying a premium for the right car. In general can you tell me what these are like, known issues and the like? Thanks again.

Rust is the old enemy.
You will need to go over it up and under with a fine tooth comb.
If it hasn't been painted that is good. If it has be very careful of a cover up job.
If you are not sure get someone to look at it for you.
He doesn't mention NCT. Ask to see old certs.

Hitman3000 Registered User

Slightly off topic my first car was a 1988 corolla. Can't find a matching image, but it was a great car. Would happily buy another if the same vintage.

Doctors room ghost said:
Offer him 1500 for it in cash.shes never worth 4K.worst hel say is fcuk off.the zv plate would put me off and the steering wheel not centred,she’s upside down at only a small turn parked.looks alright from pictures but I’d check well underneath it if I was going to buy it for rot and rust.If it went through an auction I doubt it would touch 2k.they are fairly scarce but they were never an oil painting to start with. If you like it offer what you are comfortable with but don’t get robbed on it.

Thanks for that. What is the significance of a zv plate? Import?

elperello said:
Rust is the old enemy.
You will need to go over it up and under with a fine tooth comb.
If it hasn't been painted that is good. If it has be very careful of a cover up job.
If you are not sure get someone to look at it for you.
He doesn't mention NCT. Ask to see old certs.

Nct is due next month. Would not go near it unless it was done again.
Have someone lined up to inspect if I like what I see. Thanks.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!