LizzieE88 Registered User

Hi, getting this married this year I like the idea of a double barrel name but my husband to be doesn't, any thoughts welcome please

Vojera Registered User

It's up to you, OP. It's your name, not his.

Does he give a reason for not wanting you to double-barrell?

7 people have thanked this post
tedpan Registered User

LizzieE88
Hi, getting this marred this year I like the idea of a double barrel name but my husband to be doesn't, any thoughts welcome please

What are your thoughts? What are his thoughts?

You're getting married for the rest of your life, surely you are able to discuss this with him and come to an agreement?

5 people have thanked this post
Dial Hard Registered User

Vojera
It's up to you, OP. It's your name, not his.

I suspect it's his name he doesn't want to double-barrel.

5 people have thanked this post
Vojera Registered User

Dial Hard said:
I suspect it's his name he doesn't want to double-barrel.

If that's the case, then it's his name and it's up to him. Neither can force their decision on the other. But they should at least have a discussion about it.

4 people have thanked this post
Teyla Emmagan Registered User

You double barrel if you want to and he doesn't have to. Sorted. You can't force it on him.

8 people have thanked this post
GingerLily Registered User

It are they talking about any potential children.

My husband wouldn't want a double barrel name for any children , but neither do I so it's not an issue, but I imagine it might be for some.

2 people have thanked this post
LizzieE88 Registered User

We have discussed it hed rather I keep my own or take him not have both. I like the idea of having both but wouldn't choose his solely over my own. If I was to have a db I wouldn't name our children db

Kathnora Registered User

Double barrel and triple barrel (yes, it's happening these days!!) are, I think, an awful burden on children at school. They can be a real mouthful for the poor child (and they have to learn to spell it all and write it on all their copies etc) and as for the teacher....when you have two or three children with the same first name in the class it can be so laborious calling the child something like "Amy Fitzgerald Reynolds" I have found that older children in 5th or 6th class sometimes ask the teacher to drop one of the names because they get tired of having a
long name too!

15 people have thanked this post
lazygal Registered User

Our children have both our surnames. It's never been an issue. They're far from unique in their school too.

3 people have thanked this post
splinter65 Registered User

It used to be pretentious but it’s not any more.
I agree that it’s a big mouthful for kids.

1 person has thanked this post
NIMAN Registered User

Some surnames don't lend themselves to double barrelling.

They usually involve ones with O, Mc etc.

Nothing sounds sillier than Anne McLaughlin-O'Connell.

TheQuietFella Registered User

I think that it's pretentious! Either keep your surname or adopt his!

23 people have thanked this post
endacl Registered User

NIMAN said:
Nothing sounds sillier than Anne McLaughlin-O'Connell.

Ivor Lidl-Dich?
Fanny Balls-Gripper?
Ina Looney-Warde?
Willy Ryde D'Arce-Hoffer?
Isa Wang-Holder?

8 people have thanked this post
appledrop Registered User

I didn't change my name so not an option for us. I thought about double barrel for my son but decided against it. It's a personal choice but it's a better choice in my opinion than totally changing your name.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!