mikhail Registered User

Gerry Graham mentioned at the Gonzaga prizegiving yesterday that Cork is off this year.

Asdee Registered User

Have not heard that. did he say why?

mikhail Registered User

Gerry didn't. I heard a rumour that the usual venue upped their rates sharply.

sodacat11 Registered User

It would have been very near to the Easter tournaments anyway. Cork is a very good tournament but the Metropole Hotel sure knows how to rip people off with its exorbitant single room supplement. No harm if they get a new venue.

1 person has thanked this post
Retd.LoyolaCpt Registered User

Cork is currently scheduled for the 5-7 October (provisionally). UCD will be running an event on 18th March.

Rathminor Registered User

Retd.LoyolaCpt said:
Cork is currently scheduled for the 5-7 October (provisionally). UCD will be running an event on 18th March.

The October date could work very well. Galway used to have this slot, but there was a long gap from the COD to Limerick.
With St Andrews now on the calendar and Cork possibly moving to October, it will give much more early season events when people are keen to play.
Any word on whether there will be a Galway Congress this year?

I asked Pete Morris a few weeks ago if Galway would be on and he said that he didn't know yet. Galway is another very good tournament as was Enniscorthy the one time they had it. I'm very much looking forward to Easter,it is so rare that we get a chance to play in an all play all.

Asdee Registered User

Is the commons inn hotel a suitable alternative?

Asdee said:
Is the commons inn hotel a suitable alternative?

I don't know it . Any hotel that offers reasonable rates and car parking is fine with me. I think that both Gonzaga and St Andrews schools have shown that good venues needn't necessarily be hotels. Decent lighting, comfortable seating,space, heat and a degree of silence is all that any tournament venue needs but obviously car parking and accommodation need to be available close by too.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!