Worztron Registered User

Hi.

I cannot post Irish words on boards.ie. If for example, I post the Irish word for bag: m-a(fada)-l-a

-- what shows on my post is only the letter 'm'. As can be seen below:

m

-- does anyone know what's going on here?

Cheers.

Insect Overlord Moderator

Worztron said:
Hi.

I cannot post Irish words on boards.ie. If for example, I post the Irish word for bag: m-a(fada)-l-a

m

Cheers.

Are you using the "responsive" version of the site?

feargale Registered User

Worztron said:
Hi.

m

Cheers.

Try this:

Cheers = Sláinte

To print sláinte phress all letters as usual except á.

Re à press on the A for a few seconds longer than usual. A menu of accented As will appear above the keyboard. Move your finger to the one on the extreme left and then move it right as far as á.
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat.

1 person has thanked this post
Carawaystick Registered User

Are you using a phone, tablet or computer?

the right ALT key on computers work for me

Gaoth Laidir Registered User

For á on a computer keyboard just type AltGr a. Similarly for the other vowels.

Insect Overlord Moderator

Gaoth Laidir said:

I think it's a technical issue with Boards.ie here, rather than the OP's typing. The new version of the site puts a blank space in the place of many accented characters. It's something the developers have known about for a while though.

dudara Administrator

It’s probably not the OP. Boards has current technical issues in displaying certain special characters.

Worztron Registered User

Insect Overlord said:
Are you using the "responsive" version of the site?

Hi IO. What's 'responsive' version?

Worztron Registered User

feargale said:
Try this:

Cheers = Slte

To print slte phress all letters as usual except
Re ress on the A for a few seconds longer than usual. A menu of accented As will appear above the keyboard. Move your finger to the one on the extreme left and then move it right as far as Go n-e an br leat.

Hi feargale.

Pressing down on 'a' just output loads of a's.

Worztron Registered User

Carawaystick said:
Are you using a phone, tablet or computer?

the right ALT key on computers work for me

Hi Carawaystick.

A desktop pc. Do you mean the 'Alt Gr' key? I tried that and here's the result: slte

The output should have shown the Irish word for cheers but oddly drops multiple letters.

looksee Moderator

Gaoth Laidir said:

I think you need to have 'language' on your computer set to Irish for that to work. I keep mine on Irish even though I don't speak it as it is handy for all the local words/placenames that need fadas (does that need a fada? ) and it doesn't make any difference to typing English.

Worztron Registered User

looksee said:
I think you need to have 'language' on your computer set to Irish for that to work. I keep mine on Irish even though I don't speak it as it is handy for all the local words/placenames that need fadas (does that need a fada? ) and it doesn't make any difference to typing English.

Hi looksee.

But I've tried the fadas on Reddit and there's no issue so the problem seems to be on boards.ie.

iguana Moderator

Are you using a mac? On my previous mac I needed to press alt - letter to get a fada. On my current mac I have to hold the letter key and then I get a selection of accents to choose from. It seems to work fine on boards if I do it that way.

á é í ó ú

Worztron Registered User

iguana said:
Are you using a mac? On my previous mac I needed to press alt - letter to get a fada. On my current mac I have to hold the letter key and then I get a selection of accents to choose from. It seems to work fine on boards if I do it that way.

ú

No. I'm using GNU/Linux (Debian).

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!