Arlessienne Registered User

How are your schools coping with the shortage of teachers? Things are really falling apart in my school, so wondering how others are faring.

We're not doing too badly in terms of cover for maternity leave etc (though some classes don't have a qualified teacher for every class period in Irish, French and Maths), but we are in dire straits for day-to-day cover for shorter absences. All trips and events have been cancelled.We have absolutely nobody for some classes. They are being split up among other classes leaving us with 35+ in the room and it's seriously affecting teaching and learning. Some groups are left with just the teacher next door popping in and out to keep an eye which is far from ideal and is a pain when you're trying to get on with your own lessons. Everyone is reaching their S&S limit. The part time teachers are already doing over 22 hours and there's problems claiming for them so they're being asked to wait for payment til the following month.

It's really affecting the school, teachers and students alike. How are other schools managing?

TheDriver Moderator

Barely coping, barely. There's lots of work and no one to do it

1 person has thanked this post
rainbowtrout Registered User

Finding it hard to get subs in general. Irish is next to impossible, currently have a retired principal teaching Irish. Nothing wrong with that, but no active teachers available. German teachers are rare at the best of times, but struggle there too. Have a dip student currently in teaching maths, and another retired teacher in for music. Lucky to have them all really.

On top of that we have major problems with our ETB paying subs,sometimes 6-8 weeks and ridiculous issues that 'they can't be found in the system' even if they have subbed with us before, because someone has spelled their name wrong and they seem incapable of searching for them by school, pps number or any other identifier. One sub left before christmas as she wasn't being paid - the ETB then sent her a 15 page form that they said she must fill before she would get paid, so she said screw it, went to a neighbouring town worked the week in the school there and got paid on Friday.

5 people have thanked this post
evolving_doors Moderator

rainbowtrout said:
Finding it hard to get subs in general. Irish is next to impossible, currently have a retired principal teaching Irish. Nothing wrong with that, but no active teachers available. German teachers are rare at the best of times, but struggle there too. Have a dip student currently in teaching maths, and another retired teacher in for music. Lucky to have them all really.

On top of that we have major problems with our ETB paying subs,sometimes 6-8 weeks and ridiculous issues that 'they can't be found in the system' even if they have subbed with us before, because someone has spelled their name wrong and they seem incapable of searching for them by school, pps number or any other identifier. One sub left before christmas as she wasn't being paid - the ETB then sent her a 15 page form that they said she must fill before she would get paid, so she said screw it, went to a neighbouring town worked the week in the school there and got paid on Friday.

Is everyone reaching the S&S quota soon,
What's the max hours again?
I've forgotten to keep track

If you kept doing the slots and your hours quota is full would you get the sub rate?

evolving_doors said:
Is everyone reaching the S&S quota soon,
What's the max hours again?
I've forgotten to keep track

If you kept doing the slots and your hours quota is full would you get the sub rate?

I'm going to hit my quota soon. It's 43 hours. I do a break and lunch every week so that's 55 minutes. Even allowing for 32 weeks of that for the school year it amounts to about 29 hours. For the remaining 14 or so hours left for subbing classes I can do about 21 classes. I think as of this week I have about 15 done.

One of my slots is second class monday morning and I've been hit for it nearly every week. I don't think I've had that class free since about early-mid november.

mirrorwall14 Registered User

We have had unqualified Irish teachers teaching full timetables from September to Christmas. Last year we had a Dip and unqualified in maths classes, the VP back in teaching maths and one group untaught for at least 6 weeks. Day to day we are coping with cover etc though I’m not sure if everyone has been counting their S and S

mirrorwall14 Registered User

Must have completely misinterpreted the unqualified ‘teachers’ in our school....

BorneTobyWilde Registered User

Hire taller teachers.

The_Valeyard Registered User

And their solution is to get rid of career breaks and reduce sick leave.....so discourage more people from entering the profession

2 people have thanked this post
James Bond Junior Registered User

I've been denied two courses so far this year as we simply didn't have the man power to let me go nor space to safely split my class. This is primary. I can see it getting worse before it gets better. I can't imagine how hard secondary are coping.

Arlessienne Registered User

There is talk of TYs being told to stay at home for an afternoon or a day too. We have nobody to even stand in the room and supervise. It's a health and safety issue at this point, even aside from the impact on actual teaching and learning with classes of absent teachers not being taught and classes of other teachers being delayed and constantly interrupted to split up unattended groups, check the next door room, or try rearrange desks to squeeze in extra bodies.

I wonder about extra paid S&S when we reach our quota. Several teachers opted out in my school and many more would have if they had the choice. I don't think they will get many takers.

Timistry Registered User

Retired teachers should not be allowed teach. Once your out your out.

There are many newly qualified teachers that cant find work due to such policies.

Timistry said:
Retired teachers should not be allowed teach. Once your out your out.

There are many newly qualified teachers that cant find work due to such policies.

Principal in my school rang a very long list of teachers to try and get subs for various subjects. ETB advertised some of the jobs up to four times without a single application. He was left with no choice but to hire retired teachers. It was that or leave the classes sit without a teacher for the next 5 months.

These weren't jobs for 4 or 5 hours either. They were 6 month maternity contracts on 17-22 hours.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!