mrsdewinter Registered User
#1

Very rusty 'school-Irish' speaker here. I'm just looking for guidance on the idiom 'Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam/hanam'.

Have I got this right:
If the gender of the departed is male, the phrase is 'Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam', whereas if the gender of the person about whom I'm speaking is female, the phrase is 'Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam'?

I know that generally, the possessive 'a' gets a séimhiú, the exception being when the gender of the 'owner' is male. From memory, where the object begins with a vowel, the séimhiú is then deployed.

Am I misremembering this?

Insect Overlord Moderator
#2

mrsdewinter said:

Have I got this right:
If the gender of the departed is male, the phrase is 'Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam', whereas if the gender of the person about whom I'm speaking is female, the phrase is 'Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam'?


Spot on.

I know that generally, the possessive 'a' gets a séimhiú, the exception being when the gender of the 'owner' is male. From memory, where the object begins with a vowel, the séimhiú is then deployed.


Male + consonant: séimhiú (his car = a charr)
Female + consonant: no séimhiú (her car = a carr)
Male + vowel: no séimhiú (his name = a ainm)
Female + vowel: add a "h" (her name = a hainm)

Plural + consonant: add an urú (their car = a gcarr)
Plural + vowel: add the letter "n" and a dash (their names = a n-ainmneacha)

2 people have thanked this post
mrsdewinter Registered User
#3

Thank you for that concise summary!
And sorry for mangling things in the second part of my question!

MathsManiac Moderator
#4

By the way, you'll also sometimes see "dílis" (faithful) added:

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam dílis.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamacha dílse.

2 people have thanked this post
mrsdewinter Registered User
#5

MathsManiac said:
By the way, you'll also sometimes see "dílis" (faithful) added:

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam dílis.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamacha dílse.


Blimey. So the séimhiú doesn't apply to the adjective in the example where the soul is male?

Insect Overlord Moderator
#6

mrsdewinter said:
Blimey. So the séimhiú doesn't apply to the adjective in the example where the soul is male?


The adjective only takes a séimhiú if the noun that precedes it is feminine.

This can be confusing when referring to people, especially when most job titles are masculine nouns.

It's always "an múinteoir", even if you're talking about a female teacher, because the noun "múinteoir" is a masculine one. Therefore, adjectives after it do not take a séimhiú.

In the case of "bean" or "banaltra", you would add a séimhiú because the noun itself is feminine. "An bhean dheas chairdiúil", for example.

It does take a bit of practice and study to figure out masculine and feminine nouns, to be fair, and there are some perplexing exceptions to the guidelines too.

1 person has thanked this post
Carawaystick Registered User
#7

mrsdewinter said:
Blimey. So the séimhiú doesn't apply to the adjective in the example where the soul is male?


It only depends on the gender of anam, not the person the anam belongs to.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!