MJohnston Registered User

Can someone tell me is there an actual logic to the numbering of DB routes? Like what does the 40E have to do with the 40 or 40B? 40D at least starts from the same location, but the other two have no real connection, other than they vaguely go into completely different parts of Finglas.

Peregrine I can't believe I ate the whole thing

MJohnston said:
Can someone tell me is there an actual logic to the numbering of DB routes? Like what does the 40E have to do with the 40 or 40B? 40D at least starts from the same location, but the other two have no real connection, other than they vaguely go into completely different parts of Finglas.

The 40 routes were essentially between Parnell Square and Finglas via Dorset Street and Whitworth Road.

The 40 went up the Finglas Road, through the village, out to Finglas West and then to McKelvey (and later Charlestown but it may have already been merged by the time that happened) through the roundabout near Lidl. The 40A went to Finglas Village, back down to Finglas South through Wellmount Road and then up to Finglas West and McKelvey. I think the 40B came from the city centre, through Finglas village, straight to Jamestown and then onto Toberburr. 40C used to serve Finglas South and West without going to the village. 40D was the same as the 40C in Finglas South and then diverged to go to Tyrellstown. Some of this may be slightly inaccurate. There was a lot of chopping and changing towards the end.

Then there's the 140 which was brought in around ten years ago when the northern parts of Finglas (Charlestown, Meakstown, Jamestown) were developed with medium density housing and it always went from Jamestown, through Meakstown and Charlestown to the Finglas bypass and went straight to the city centre through Phibsborough.

There was a 240 for a brief period.

Madness. With regards to BusConnects, there is a good amount of naming simplification there, but it should really be possible to hear the route number and know exactly where it goes to/from.

loyatemu Registered User

MJohnston said:
Madness. With regards to BusConnects, there is a good amount of naming simplification there, but it should really be possible to hear the route number and know exactly where it goes to/from.

Busconnects numbering is still pretty arcane even if there is some reasoning behind it. All the orbitals should be OX and all the local routes should be LX IMO.

loyatemu said:
Busconnects numbering is still pretty arcane even if there is some reasoning behind it. All the orbitals should be OX and all the local routes should be LX IMO.

That's what I mean - it doesn't do enough to fix the numbering.

mrsdewinter Registered User

A bit off topic but the nearby 120 bus, which runs from Ashtown to Parnell Square, is due to have services reduced substantially from Sunday. According to the revised timetable, the number of weekday services ex town per day is going from the current 54 to 42.
And this is without the 'benefit' of BusConnects...

mrsdewinter said:
A bit off topic but the nearby 120 bus, which runs from Ashtown to Parnell Square, is due to have services reduced substantially from Sunday. According to the revised timetable, the number of weekday services ex town per day is going from the current 54 to 42.
And this is without the 'benefit' of BusConnects...

I would imagine that is because large numbers of passengers have switched to the Luas instead. The 120 only offers value to people who can't walk to the nearby Luas stops along the route. Even without BusConnects I could see the 120 slowly becoming a very lightly used service.

5 people have thanked this post
devnull Moderator

This route will form part of the Dublin Bus service expansion project and it's final confirmed routing till be Tyrellstown to Broombridge Luas via West Finglas.

1 person has thanked this post
Technocentral Registered User

Got 8.20 this morning it was jam packed before Cabra, half people couldnt get on, they really need to double frequency before that bus starts.

stevek93 Registered User

madnessnmayhem said:
Spoken with a bus driver, he informed me that 40e will commence sometime in Novmeber as the 17a is going to GA so that will free up some drivers to drive new 40e

Do we know if the route or times of the 17a will change?

Stephen15 Registered User

stevek93 said:
Do we know if the route or times of the 17a will change?

Timetable will probably change as most all routes which switched to Go-Ahead so far got a revised timetable with some improvements. I wouldn't think the 17a would get a huge timetable change perhaps it will be upgraded to every 20 mins at all times 7 days a week. Perhaps the last bus might wait for the arrival of the last DART like the 45a and the 184 and terminate right outside Howth Junsction it would be good for better intergration with the DART. Do many use this bus to connect with the DART?

Stephen15 Registered User

Technocentral said:
Got 8.20 this morning it was jam packed before Cabra, half people couldnt get on, they really need to double frequency before that bus starts.

Do you think many will use it?

Technocentral Registered User

Yes, every kind of public transport on busy routes in Dublin is oversubscribed.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!