andrew1977 Registered User
#16

Losty Dublin said:
Who was fined, if not you?


A family members young lad ,was our topic of debate and discussion Friday afternoon.

Losty Dublin Registered User
#17

andrew1977 said:
A family members young lad ,was our topic of debate and discussion Friday afternoon.


Had they a valid ticket to cover their journey that they were entitled to use, yes or no?

1 person has thanked this post
andrew1977 Registered User
#18

Losty Dublin said:
Had they a valid ticket to cover their journey that they were entitled to use, yes or no?


Yes, but no ID to prove it , so bang to rights there it seems .
The debate we were having is if the inspector could tell them that they could increase the fine to 200 .

Will pass on all the info, cheers folks for all the replies and input

Losty Dublin Registered User
#19

andrew1977 said:
Yes, but no ID to prove it , so bang to rights there it seems .
The debate we were having is if the inspector could tell them that they could increase the fine to 200 .

Will pass on all the info, cheers folks for all the replies and input


In general, it is up to the passenger to prove their age if they are underage. I used to get challenged on buses a lot as a kid as i looked a lot more than 15. The solution back then was a special CIE ID that said I was under 16; Apparently you can still get them if you read the link below; I am sure that Irish Rail will accept it as well.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Fares-and-Tickets/Child/

As a general thing it may help their case if they travel regularly to use an underage Leapcard.

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types#ticketTypes

1 person has thanked this post
splinter65 Registered User
#20

NinetyTwoTeam said:
What kind of ID would a person under 15 be carrying? If they were on their own I can see why the inspector might have doubts but still I don't see how a 14 year old could prove their age unless they carry their birth certificate around.

I am going to assume the inspector had very strong doubts, you wouldn't think they would lean too hard on someone who looked likely to be that young. Still though, if the person is say, 16, the inspector shouldn't really be in a position where they can threaten or intimidate a minor over a ticket.


My daughter travelled on a local train service regularly when she was 14,15 and always brought her passport and BC in case she was queried.

andrew1977 Registered User
#21

Losty Dublin said:
In general, it is up to the passenger to prove their age if they are underage. I used to get challenged on buses a lot as a kid as i looked a lot more than 15. The solution back then was a special CIE ID that said I was under 16; Apparently you can still get them if you read the link below; I am sure that Irish Rail will accept it as well.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Fares-and-Tickets/Child/

As a general thing it may help their case if they travel regularly to use an underage Leapcard.

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types#ticketTypes


Good information, thank you for that and the links, very helpful, will pass on.

XPS_Zero Registered User
#22

The person can spare themselves this hassle in future by getting a CHILD Leap card surely? A personalized one?

As to the appeal if you have proof in the form of ID scan it in with the appeal and the appeal will be approved - simples.

1 person has thanked this post
Dravokivich Registered User
#23

XPS_Zero said:
The person can spare themselves this hassle in future by getting a CHILD Leap card surely? A personalized one?

As to the appeal if you have proof in the form of ID scan it in with the appeal and the appeal will be approved - simples.


There's age requirements for it. It's for from 16. They'll only let you get it at 15 in the run-up to your birthday. But if ops relative had a ticket, it's more likely they were making a journey not covered by leap. The leap card can't be used as a means of identification, nor for determining the age of someone.

2 people have thanked this post
Fred Swanson Registered User
#24

Was this person underage or just trying it on?

Carawaystick Registered User
#25

What punishment could a 15 year old get if convicted of not having proof of age while having the correct toicket for their journey?

Fred Swanson Registered User
#26

If they carry on and try to prosecute the child as an adult it won't end well in court for Irish Rail.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!