andrew1977 Registered User

Passenger stopped and asked to produce valid ID to cover the ticket they were traveling on (Under 15 ticket)

Ticket inspector told passenger 100 euro fine + balance of fare as he did not believe the passenger. For giving possible false information and not producing ID he could increase the fine to 200 euro but would let him away with the 100 euro fine
Is that correct?
Curious to know the answer to that, is it anywhere on Irish rails website, I can’t find it.

100 euro fine fair enough,but to say 200 euro if found not telling the truth? Was that scare mongering by the ticket inspector ?
This legit?

AlekSmart Registered User

andrew1977 said:
Passenger stopped and asked to produce valid ID to cover the ticket they were traveling on (Under 15 ticket)

Ticket inspector told passenger 100 euro fine + balance of fare as he did not believe the passenger. For giving possible false information and not producing ID he could increase the fine to 200 euro but would let him away with the 100 euro fine
Is that correct?
Curious to know the answer to that, is it anywhere on Irish rails website, I can’t find it.

100 euro fine fair enough,that will be paid but to say 200 euro if found not telling the truth? Was that scare mongering by the ticket inspector ?b
This legit?

Irish Rail's largely recent implementation of a Zero Tolerance,Fare Evasion protocol was described by many as draconian and the rest of it.

However,it has meant that more customers are now aware that they could be checked.....http://www.snclavalin-railandtransit.com/en-int/case-studies/irish-rail-revenue-protection

The Transport Advisory team recruited and briefed the survey team to implement our approach and discovered that the evasion rate was four-fold than estimated by IÉ.

Hmmmmm,that must have presented IR Management with a bit of difficulty ?

What kind of ID would a person under 15 be carrying? If they were on their own I can see why the inspector might have doubts but still I don't see how a 14 year old could prove their age unless they carry their birth certificate around.

I am going to assume the inspector had very strong doubts, you wouldn't think they would lean too hard on someone who looked likely to be that young. Still though, if the person is say, 16, the inspector shouldn't really be in a position where they can threaten or intimidate a minor over a ticket.

3 people have thanked this post
Hilly Bill Registered User

It's under 16 and if you feel you was wrongly fined then appeal it.

1 person has thanked this post

Hilly Bill said:
It's under 16 and if you feel you was wrongly fined then appeal it.

Yes, gonna appeal it alright.

Part of the appeal I want to find out if the inspector had a right to possibly scare a minor by telling him he could increase the fine to 200 euro if not telling the truth

That can’t be legit surely?

Jamie2k9 Registered User

andrew1977 said:

Part of the appeal I want to find out if the inspector had a right to possibly scare a minor by telling him he could increase the fine to 200 euro if not telling the truth

and lying is legit?

If you have no ID they usually ask to call somebody and catch them out that way. You cannot prove the inspector said anything about increasing the fine so appealing on the basis is pointless.

RasTa Registered User

Legally if they catch someone under 16 without a ticket they can't issue a fine or throw him off.

Anyway not valid ground for appeal if they were over 15 without a ticket

Hilly Bill Registered User

andrew1977 said:

I don't think you are easily scared somehow and especially that they weren't expecting you to pay up there and then.
Should have just let them add on as much as they wanted as you are appealing it anyway and if they fined you over the legal amount then it should go in your favour.
Did you have the correct ticket for your journey?

Srameen Registered User

andrew1977 said:

Of course he can. Their fixed penalty notices also include
A Fixed Payment Notice can be issued for failing or refusing to give your name or address to an authorised officer or giving a name or address which is false or mislead

Another €100 for that.

3 people have thanked this post

Srameen said:
Of course he can. Their fixed penalty notices also include

Another €100 for that.

Thanks for that , would you have a link for that information please?

It’s not me who got the fine, I wish it was , that would have me as a teenager again, wishful thinking .

Srameen Registered User

andrew1977 said:

It’s not me who got the fine, I wish it was , that would have me as a teenager again, wishful thinking .

No, look it up like I just did. Irish Rail FAQ and search for info on fines. The link won't change the facts though.

Srameen said:
No, look it up like I just did. Irish Rail FAQ and search for info on fines. The link won't change the facts though.

Cool, will do, thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the info.

magicbastarder Moderator

andrew1977 said:
100 euro fine fair enough,but to say 200 euro if found not telling the truth? Was that scare mongering by the ticket inspector ?
This legit?

why would a punitive fine not punish further evasive behaviour? if it didn't, it'd just be an incentive to bluff.

AlekSmart Registered User

andrew1977 said:

Legit enough....

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/act/31/section/132/enacted/en/html#sec132

132.—(1) Every passenger of a railway undertaking shall, on request by an officer or employee of a railway undertaking, produce, and if so requested, deliver up to the officer or employee a ticket showing that his or her fare is paid and, if the fare has not been paid, shall upon request—

(a) pay, to the officer or employee—

(i) his or her fare from the place where he or she started the journey by railway, or

(ii) such other fare for non-payment of a fare as fixed by the undertaking,

as the officer or employee decides,
or

(b) give the officer or employee his or her name and address.

(2) A passenger who fails—

(a) to comply with a request under subsection (1) to deliver up a ticket,

(b) to pay the fare required under subsection (1)(a), or

(c) to give his or her name and address, if requested under subsection (1)(b),

is guilty of an offence.

Scary stuff indeed,and well worth a trip to the Courts to validate ?

2 people have thanked this post
Losty Dublin Registered User

andrew1977 said:

Who was fined, if not you?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!