bearclaire Registered User
#1

Hi, I’ve been allocated a Council Flat (took 12 years but not complaining as I was were nearly homeless before Christmas)
I’m on Disability allowance, but my question is what will they pay for and what won’t they. Basically I have nothing apart from a few pots and pans, going to need everything cooker bed fridge freezer sofas washing machine etc etc.
Just don’t wanna to put stuff on the form that’s not got on social welfare’s list and waste time
Thanks

splinter65 Registered User
#2

bearclaire said:
Hi, I’ve been allocated a Council Flat (took 12 years but not complaining as I was were nearly homeless before Christmas)
I’m on Disability allowance, but my question is what will they pay for and what won’t they. Basically I have nothing apart from a few pots and pans, going to need everything cooker bed fridge freezer sofas washing machine etc etc.
Just don’t wanna to put stuff on the form that’s not got on social welfare’s list and waste time
Thanks


Don’t worry about “wasting time” , the CWO just wants to know what you have already.
If you have nothing you will get cooker fridge washing machine, if you don’t have a back yard you will get a dryer, a bed for everyone living there, possibly a tv, kitchen table and chairs, basic 3 piece suite.
That’s really it.

Maryanne84 Registered User
#3

bearclaire said:
Hi, I’ve been allocated a Council Flat (took 12 years but not complaining as I was were nearly homeless before Christmas)
I’m on Disability allowance, but my question is what will they pay for and what won’t they. Basically I have nothing apart from a few pots and pans, going to need everything cooker bed fridge freezer sofas washing machine etc etc.
Just don’t wanna to put stuff on the form that’s not got on social welfare’s list and waste time
Thanks


I’ve nothing to offer other than my good wishes for you in your new home.

6 people have thanked this post
bearclaire Registered User
#4

splinter65 said:
Don’t worry about “wasting time” , the CWO just wants to know what you have already.
If you have nothing you will get cooker fridge washing machine, if you don’t have a back yard you will get a dryer, a bed for everyone living there, possibly a tv, kitchen table and chairs, basic 3 piece suite.
That’s really it.


Wow That’s a Lot more than I thought ðŸ˜႒
Thanks for that

bearclaire Registered User
#5

Maryanne84 said:
I’ve nothing to offer other than my good wishes for you in your new home.


Thank You Maryanne84 Appreciate that. Been a long road but I’m very thankful to be getting my own home

wifey28 Registered User
#6

i believe they have allowances they are allowed to work off, for eg i know a family of 4 who got 2900 as they had absolutely nothing at all. But other people only get 1000. They wont pay infull for everything so dont expect it. They will give you bare minimum they think you can get away with. Your unlikely to be able to afford the likes of a dishwasher or dryer with what they give you, and if at all possible you should look into laying carpet/lino yourself.

I believe the size of the home also has a baring on how much they can give out

1 person has thanked this post
Gatling Registered User
#7

wifey28 said:
i believe they have allowances they are allowed to work off, for eg i know a family of 4 who got 2900 as they had absolutely nothing at all. But other people only get 1000. They wont pay infull for everything so dont expect it. They will give you bare minimum they think you can get away with. Your unlikely to be able to afford the likes of a dishwasher or dryer with what they give you, and if at all possible you should look into laying carpet/lino yourself.

I believe the size of the home also has a baring on how much they can give out



The average payment is around 1200 for the basics , beds white goods flooring if needed,and that about it ,
TVs and other home entertainments are not included.

Everything else wanted should be bought or picked up from sites such as adverts and done deal

2 people have thanked this post
Maryanne84 Registered User
#8

Gatling said:
The average payment is around 1200 for the basics , beds white goods flooring if needed,and that about it ,
TVs and other home entertainments are not included.

Everything else wanted should be bought or picked up from sites such as adverts and done deal


“Marketplace “ on Facebook is a good place to find cheap or free stuff.

3 people have thanked this post
Gatling Registered User
#9

Maryanne84 said:
“Marketplace “ on Facebook is a good place to find cheap or free stuff.


Along with various charity shops

3 people have thanked this post
#10

Is that payment in cash cause I fear some would bet it all in Paddy Powers instead of going to Penney’s or Dunnes to buy household items.

1 person has thanked this post
Grab All Association Registered User
#11

Maggie Marie said:
Is that payment in cash cause I fear some would bet it all in Paddy Powers instead of going to Penney’s or Dunnes to buy household items.


No it’s sent by cheque or more recently bank transfer and you have to provide estimates.

1 person has thanked this post
Grab All Association Registered User
#12

Grab All Association said:
No it’s sent by cheque or more recently bank transfer and you have to provide estimates.


@ OP you may not get enough to cover everything you need. If you don’t, come back here and list the items you need. I’m sure there are boardies out there who’ll try help you source everything you need.

6 people have thanked this post
Cork Truck Driver Registered User
#13

I never personally received this payment, but my Uncle did in 1997 & 2008

The amount was €5000 in 2008 & £1000 in 1997

Gatling Registered User
#14

Cork Truck Driver said:
I never personally received this payment, but my Uncle did in 1997 & 2008

The amount was €5000 in 2008 & £1000 in 1997


€5000 for what ,

1 person has thanked this post
Cork Truck Driver Registered User
#15

Gatling said:
€5000 for what ,


My exact question to him, i never got a response, i found the post office receipt, hence i asked the question.

I've known people in 3 bedroomed houses to get less.

He had literally nothing at all though in 2008 so maybe that's why.

The guy is an immensely private person.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!