SNNUS Registered User

It's very far off but no harm to have a thread regarding the Weather for the Summer. Hopefully it will not all be in May as usual.

Billcarson Registered User

A yr ending with an 8 doesn't bode well. 2008,98,88,78..were all poor summers.

Add to that low solar activity ,so a poor summer is likely this year imo.

SNNUS Registered User

Billcarson said:

2008 sucked in fairness, rained nearly every day.

Gaoth Laidir Registered User

Billcarson said:

And also all years beginning with 1*** and 2***...

21 people have thanked this post
sryanbruen Registered User

I've already posted my early thoughts on both seasons.

sryanbruen said:
Didn't know where to post these so I'll post them here:

These are my 2018 predictions. They are based on previous years' conditions and see if I feel Mother Nature will balance things out like how we've had three consecutive dry Octobers, more than likely it's going to be a wet one next, ENSO and solar activity. Not to mention my optimism in some of it.

January - Cold and wet. Potentially snowy.
February - Mild overall but with a lot of variation. Rather wet and sunny.
March - Cold and rather dull but dry.
April - Cool, wet and rather sunny.
May - Dull, cool and dry. Similar to May 1991 but not nearly as dry.
June - Cold and wet. Dull too.
July - Hot with the chance of thundery downpours. Not all that sunny.
August - Hot again but very sunny and dry.
September - Mild, sunny and dry at first but becoming wet.
October - Cold, very wet and sunny.
November - Close to average sunshine and temperature. Dry also.
December - Cool, rather wet and dull.

Overall, a cold Spring with a very blocked setup which continues into June bringing quite a poor start to the year and Summer before a complete switch around as the Summer becomes back loaded. Mixed Autumn before a coolish start to Winter 2018/19.

I'd like to note the Summer though, it's pretty much what I went for Summer 2017 - and Summer 2017 turned out as a disaster in terms of my forecast. Also, years that end in "8" have a remarkable tendency to be very poor. In fact, there hasn't been a warmer than average Summer (for the CET using the 1981-2010 average) in years ending in "8" since 1878!

Here's my chart of said Summers going back to 1900:

Only one single warmer than average month and that was June 1968.

I'm hoping 2018 will break this long ass streak of said Summers being very poor.

Ken Ring, the infamous New Zealand "forecaster" , said for 2018 to be the next good Summer after 2013. As he predicted 2013 right, I want to see how this "theory" of his goes. Other forecasters have said 2019 to be the year with a very warm Summer though and I have been saying for ages that 2018 will be a very awful year in terms of warm weather so I'm kind of contradicting myself here!

2 people have thanked this post

I’ve lurked on this forum for years but the deludedness is hilarious.
Summer is the same every year. Lovely calm May and part of April usually, couple of nice days at start of June. Then 14c and blustery and rainy till October, when the wind stops again. It’s the worst of our seasons, the hope kills you.

sideswipe Registered User

Often times the best thing about summer in Ireland is you don't have to fly too far to get summer weather!

1 person has thanked this post
Gonzo Moderator

If we get 6 or 7 days of blues skies and temps of 20C+ between late May and early September then that will do. Some year's we struggle to even get that. If those sunny days end up being Saturday's and Sundays then even better. Really looking forward to having a few decent bbq's over this summer. The first half of Summer 2017 was fairly decent here for bbq'ing but very little opportunities were to be had after the 1st week of July.

1 person has thanked this post

I’m going to count them this year what I’d count as a fine summers day in Dublin. You’re right though 6 or 7 is max usually.

Comhra Registered User

SNNUS said:
It's very far off but no harm to have a thread regarding the Weather for the Summer. Hopefully it will not all be in May as usual.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!