dolanbaker Moderator

Here is a video I came across the other day, might offer a solution for the smaller towns and cities that can't justify a full tram system.

The quality of the video is quite poor (all expense spared), but best to try to look beyond that.
edit:
Well let's forget the Chinese copy, here's an active system in use in France.

1 person has thanked this post
Phil.x Registered User

I seen this on the news the other day.

My boss 20 years ago said something like this would solve our transport problems and now Belfast have it.

No need for costly rails and construction disruption etc etc.

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/belfastrapidtransit.html

4 people have thanked this post
Zipppy Registered User

Looks good...is it not similar to BRT?

LeinsterDub Registered User

Zipppy said:
Looks good...os it not similar to BRT?

It is BRT. Also the acceleration of the French system looks pretty poor

donvito99 Registered User

If you were to BRT Dublin as proposed, the Vanhool Exquicity vehicle as procured by Geneva is powered by overhead wires, but has a reported 7km battery endurance. You could (more expensively than regular BRT) install these on the dual carriageway portions of routes (N11, N4, N3) and allow passage thru the CC with minimal emissions/visual pollution.

The overhead propulsion would also greatly improve acceleration/traction on possible routes like the very hilly N4.

Zipppy Registered User

AFAIK the NTA are well into planning BRT for Dublin...although I'd imagine it's year away yet..

They're just buses. Nothing "alternative" about it. The driver just doesn't work as hard, and the steering is done by robots via infrastructure that isn't necessary when you have a driver that knows how to steer a bus.

8 people have thanked this post
loyatemu Registered User

MGWR said:
They're just buses. Nothing "alternative" about it. The driver just doesn't work as hard, and the steering is done by robots via infrastructure that isn't necessary when you have a driver that knows how to steer a bus.

I think the difference with the automated systems (certainly the Chinese prototype I saw recently) is that you can have longer vehicles than a normal articulated bus as the rear sections steer themselves and follow the marked path. This makes it more tram-like and better able to handle bends.

dolanbaker Moderator

loyatemu said:
I think the difference with the automated systems (certainly the Chinese prototype I saw recently) is that you can have longer vehicles than a normal articulated bus as the rear sections steer themselves and follow the marked path. This makes it more tram-like and better able to handle bends.

This is exactly what caught my eye about the system, all the wheels follow the same line in the road, like on rails.

Del.Monte Registered User

dolanbaker said:
This is exactly what caught my eye about the system, all the wheels follow the same line in the road, like on rails.

And then if you want to go faster you add rails. Reinventing the wheel yet again.

3 people have thanked this post
garrettod Registered User

Hello,

It's an awful shame that we can't get Shane Ross (our Minister for Transport !) to pay a bit more attention to the stuff discussed in these threads, and a little less attention to things that are nothing to do with him such as what's going on in North Korea or whatever....

Just imagine, a Minister for Transport that was focused on.... well eh, transport !

Putting these BRTs on the roads, particularly along the N1, N4, N7 and N11, with park and ride locations being the only places they pull in until they reach their final destinations, seems like a great idea to me.

Del.Monte Registered User

Nope, they are just a cheap idea. Surprising that FG aren't all over it though as they don't believe in spending money on public transport.

dolanbaker Moderator

Del.Monte said:
And then if you want to go faster you add rails. Reinventing the wheel yet again.

I don't see why they wouldn't have a decent straight line speed, I wouldn't want an on-street tram to be cornering all that fast either unless the track has the correct camber.
They would be the "pathfinders" of the transport network, if a route proves to be an outstanding success, then yes lay rails, if not change the route for little more than the cost of some road paint.

GhostyMcGhost Registered User

Del.Monte said:
Nope, they are just a cheap idea. Surprising that FG aren't all over it though as they don't believe in spending money on public transport.

Yet for some reason spend many many multiples fixing infrastructure capacity issues caused by? You guessed it, their underfunding in the first place

Dravokivich Registered User

garrettod said:
Hello,

It's an awful shame that we can't get Shane Ross (our Minister for Transport !) to pay a bit more attention to the stuff discussed in these threads, and a little less attention to things that are nothing to do with him such as what's going on in North Korea or whatever....

Just imagine, a Minister for Transport that was focused on.... well eh, transport !

Putting these BRTs on the roads, particularly along the N1, N4, N7 and N11, with park and ride locations being the only places they pull in until they reach their final destinations, seems like a great idea to me.

Why design a transport solution that will mean a commuter has to go out of the way to use it? It'll need to be accessible to people without cars.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!