Jellybaby1 Registered User

Our family home was occupied by my ancestors for over a hundred years ending in the 1980's so I know about those residents, before them there were a few small businesses. Wish I'd thought of a TV series! My version of the Forsyth Saga!

mod9maple Registered User

I was delighted to see the presenter of this series too. Did he write it as well? He made a previous series on black people in Britain and twas very interesting. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

pinkypinky Moderator

Right: back on topic you lot. David Olusoga is really very attractive, isn't he?

I think it's a brilliant idea for a show: combining the stuff WDYTYA does in a new fresh way. He's a good presenter and yes he did write it too. I have his Black & British book but haven't read it yet.

2 people have thanked this post
Jellybaby1 Registered User

Right: back on topic you lot. David Olusoga is really very attractive, isn't he?

Well yes he is! (I'm furtively smirking but too old to do it right!)

1 person has thanked this post
Hermy Registered User

Have to say the endless assumptions and overindulgence in sentimentality is starting to ruin this for me.

pinkypinky Moderator

Hermy said:
Have to say the endless assumptions and overindulgence in sentimentality is starting to ruin this for me.

Oh really. Will you elaborate?

Hermy Registered User

Assumptions as to what the occupants were like as people, from toys on the floor to the parents regard for their children. All we really know for sure about them is the written documentary evidence. Everything else is in the realms of speculation and to speculate too much is actually to make the picture less vivid than it might otherwise be.

Overindulgence in sentimentality on the theme of people triumphing over adversity. There's no doubt that some of the occupants of No. 62 had to overcome huge challenges in their time but there's a limit to how often you can make this point before it begins to sound gushing.

Overall it's a great programme, well researched and well presented, but in last nights episode I felt the standard dropped as the presenter veered too far in the direction of populism.

4 people have thanked this post
Hermy Registered User

What did people think of the final episode?

I was expecting there might be a sudden jump towards the end to the present owner, owing to time constraints and a lack of interesting events to speak of, but no such thing. He tracked down every recorded occupancy and dealt with each in turn, and, just as throughout the earlier episodes, there were stories to tell. The woman who posed for John Lennon was fascinating to listen to. The Toxteth riots were striking for the way the various creeds and colours came together in revolt against the neglect they were subjected to. And then the AIDS epidemic which I remember but didn't fully understand at the time.

And I really liked that he spent some time with the present occupier of 62. It just finished things off nicely.
More of this please BBC.

pinkypinky Moderator

I really liked the last episode. Also expected they might skip forward in time but the stats at the end saying how many people had lived in the house that they'd traced, etc was great. I did really want to know what the current owner did for a living to own such a big house solo but that's just nosiness.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!