I was surprised to find the highest gust recorded in Ireland happened at Kilkeel County Down in January 1974, 200kph. There's very little information about it. The highest gust in the Republic occurred at Malin head but this eclipses that. I thought the highest gust would have been in Donegal or Mayo.

Can anyone give some detail about this storm, how it played out and what the gusts were in the rest of the country from it? Cheers

Gaoth Laidir Registered User

I think Bear Grylls' either father or grandfather was killed on a boat in that storm.

Oneiric 3 Registered User

UK Met analysis for 6z 12/01/74.

Back in the days when storms were storms, not just some named, overhyped nonentities pretending to be.

2 people have thanked this post
Rebelbrowser Registered User

Further to the link to boards.ie in 2011, is Sponge Bob still with us under some Nom de Plume? He could be contrary but really knew his stuff. I am probably insulting some regular on here now I realise!

Gaoth Laidir said:
I think Bear Grylls' either father or grandfather was killed on a boat in that storm.

It was actually the January 30th, 1950 storm... Only 24 years off ..

malinheader Registered User

An uncle of mine always told me that on the night storm Debbie hit Malin head the wind was well over 100mph on the wind scale and went well above the scale they could record in the met station in Malin head at that time. I think storm Debbie was 1961.

Sorry Debbie was a hurricane not a storm as I stated

malinheader said:
Sorry Debbie was a hurricane not a storm as I stated

Debbie was not a hurricane when it hit Ireland.

https://irishweatheronline.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/blast-from-the-past-hurricane-debbie-1961/

1 person has thanked this post

Ex hurricane Debbie. Still the worst storm talked about in these parts.

Charles Babbage Registered User

The Irish Times reported that the on 12 Jan 1974 was the worst in the East for 71 years and the worst since Debbie in the West. Two people died in Dublin and the ESB reported 150,000 lost electricity.

Oneiric 3 said:

Back in the days when storms were storms, not just some named, overhyped nonentities pretending to be.

I see a 50-knot wind barb at Belmullet in that chart. That day actually only ranks 35th in Belmullet's highest wind ranking since 1952.

31st January, 1957, ranks highest, with a gust of 94 knots and a maximum 10-minute mean speed of 66 knots. Note that just 5 days later (4th February) was also extremely windy (91 and 61 knots). A similar setup to now, with deep cold coming off the North American continent, spinning up numerous lows that circulated around a parent low off Iceland/Greenland. Proper stuff, that.

The St. Stephen's Day 1998 storm ranks 4th, but again note the distinct lack of recent entries in the Top 30.

9 people have thanked this post

Gaoth Laidir said:
I see a 50-knot wind barb at Belmullet in that chart. That day actually only ranks 35th in Belmullet's highest wind ranking since 1952.

31st January, 1957, ranks highest, with a gust of 94 knots and a maximum 10-minute mean speed of 66 knots. Note that just 5 days later (4th February) was also extremely windy (91 and 61 knots). A similar setup to now, with deep cold coming off the North American continent, spinning up numerous lows that circulated around a parent low off Iceland/Greenland. Proper stuff, that.

The St. Stephen's Day 1998 storm ranks 4th, but again note the distinct lack of recent entries in the Top 30.

Interesting. Could you supply the table for Malin as well please or which site did you find on? Cheers

Oneiric 3 said:

County down is quite a distance from the centre. Assume it was sting jet that caused that record gust

2 people have thanked this post

Shedbebreezy said:
Interesting. Could you supply the table for Malin as well please or which site did you find on? Cheers

I downloaded the Excel files from here.

Here are all of Malin Head's gusts of 80 knots and above since 1st May 1955. Ex-Debbie is No. 1, and there have been 6 days with 10-minute sustained hurricane force 12 winds. Still relatively few strong wind events since 2000.

EDIT: It should be pointed out that the anemometer at Malin Head is 18 metres above the ground instead of the standard 10 metres. This will lead to slightly higher winds on average, though it depends on the weather. In the very strongest events there may not be much difference.

Attachments
Malin Head.png
8 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!