stonebob Registered User

Just back from London where I used Airbnb and Uber with great success......Uber was half the price of a taxi and there seemed to be one around every corner ..everyone loves them ..I know there's an argument about regulation of drivers but there's a lot of dodgy taxi drivers too just read the papers ...the drivers were polite ..spotless cars..and they don't tap on..

2 people have thanked this post
usernamegoes Registered User

stonebob said:
Just back from London where I used Airbnb and Uber with great success......Uber was half the price of a taxi and there seemed to be one around every corner ..everyone loves them ..I know there's an argument about regulation of drivers but there's a lot of dodgy taxi drivers too just read the papers ...the drivers were polite ..spotless cars..and they don't tap on..

There's a thread on here basically people want protectionism for taxis from competition.

I completely disagree and far prefer Uber. Use it all the time when travelling. The convenience of paying by card is also great.

6 people have thanked this post
GerardKeating Registered User

usernamegoes said:
There's a thread on here basically people want protectionism for taxis from competition.

I completely disagree and far prefer Uber. Use it all the time when travelling.

If Uber want to compete with Taxi, it has to be fair, do Uber drivers have the same level of public liability insurance as Taxi's

usernamegoes said:
The convenience of paying by card is also great.

Not paid cash for a taxi in a few years, many/most take cards now.

Cookie_Monster Registered User

usernamegoes said:

no, just a level playing field in terms of licensing, insurance and oversight.

11 people have thanked this post
Stephen15 Registered User

The one thing I will give the UK credit for is the fact that the licensed taxis (not minicabs) there perform an excellent professional service with decent cars which are all wheelchair accessible and professional drivers that know where they're going.

A London taxi driver has to do 4 years of training to learn all the streets around the city so I can understand why they would be pissed with Uber drivers rocking up without any training or proper vetting.

7 people have thanked this post
end of the road Registered User

usernamegoes said:
basically people want protectionism for taxis from competition.

no, no we don't. taxis already have competition in the form of other taxis. uber is a taxi service and is able to be subject to the same regulations, and should have those regulations imposed on it as it's a taxi service.

6 people have thanked this post
Dravokivich Registered User

People have been assaulted in fake taxis in this country to such a degree that about 10 / 12 years ago there was a big campaign to get people to check what they are getting into. NTA released an app within the last 3 years that people can check the Taxi Licence No. on the board against the driver in the car.

Was this hysteria?

2 people have thanked this post

Stephen15 said:

A London taxi driver has to do 4 years of training to learn all the streets around the city so I can understand why they would be pissed with Uber drivers rocking up without any training or proper vetting.

In the past that mattered but not any more with phone, mapping, traffic monitoring and GPS technology

5 people have thanked this post
Stephen15 Registered User

Cookie_Monster said:
In the past that mattered but not any more with phone, mapping, traffic monitoring and GPS technology

But there were actual physical maps back in the day. A taxi driver is a professional driver and a professional driver should know where they are going without relying on GPS it would be like a plumber looking up how to fix a sink.

4 people have thanked this post
Losty Dublin Registered User

Stephen15 said:
But there were actual physical maps back in the day. A taxi driver is a professional driver and a professional driver should know where they are going without relying on GPS it would be like a plumber looking up how to fix a sink.

Even today, most London cabbies won't use GPS as it's no better than their own know how.

3 people have thanked this post
shanec1928 Registered User

Cookie_Monster said:

Their was a show on ch4 around September time I think which was all about passing the exams to become a London cabbie. Looked crazy with people taking 4+ years to pass.

1 person has thanked this post

Yes, Dublin needs MORE cars on the roads. That will solve our traffic and shoddy public transport problems!

5 people have thanked this post
bk Moderator

Cookie_Monster said:
no, just a level playing field in terms of licensing, insurance and oversight.

You mean exactly what all Uber drivers in London have, what with them all being fully licensed and insured hackneys.

Stephen15 said:

What is great about London is that you, the passenger have a choice:

You can select a hackney, which might have to use GPS, but is cheaper or a more expensive Taxi with a driver with "The Knowledge".

Choice is a good thing for consumers.

Uber in London is very different to the US. It is just hackneys ordered by app, like we use to have here pre-deregulation.

Even the US version of Uber is little different then the old hackney model we had here pre-deregulation, just with an app.

Stephen15 said:

we're those physical maps able to calculate routes for you in fraction of a second, were they able to access live traffic updates and road closures, were they able to auto update themselves with changing road layouts, we're they able to instantly tell you where you are already?

Plumbers look at instruction manuals when installing items, they don't just fire them into the benchtop willy nilly. Exactly the same way car mechanics now can access factory specs and diagrams on a laptop which is plugged into the vehicle reporting the errors rather than pulling apart the car trying to guess the problem these days

Dravokivich Registered User

hmm I don't have much invested in the discussion of Uber over Taxis, but local knowledge is a must. GPS should only be used as a suggestion. Both my Garmin GPS fully uptodate and Google maps on my phone prefer to send me to junctions i can't use, or the wrong way down roads around Fairview. I've seen people who followed pathways i was previously suggested by Google, who didn't seem to take the road signage into account.

So i wouldn't be eager to see GPS as a positive. Especially when i regularly see taxi drivers here have GPS devices or Apps present.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!