lfp Registered User

In the next month or so I'll be starting a commute to Heuston station and then onto Stephens Green/Kildare St.

I'm in two minds whether to commit to the dublinbike option as it looks very cost effective as all my trips will be less than 30 mins from Heuston to city centre.

However, I'm concerned bays will be empty/full at pick up and drop off peak times - is this an issue?

Also is there much of a queue in the mornings at Heuston when grabbing a bike (I'd be arriving around the 7.50 area).

Would a fold up bike be a bit quicker overall, no waiting in a queue, no potential of being out of bikes, no issue of a dublinbike bay being 5/10 mins walk from workplace?

But - is a foldup bike inconvenient? Less sturdy? Prone to punctures etc.?

All very new to me..... Any advice appreciated!

loyatemu Registered User

buy a cheap bike and leave it at Heuston with a decent lock?

I saw a site some time back that tracked the usage levels of different DB stations, but I can't remember where I saw it - anyone?

Phil.x Registered User

I've cancelled my Dublin bike account in the last couple of days.
I was an infrequent user, I join years back when it was only €10 then €20 now €25.
Bikes were never available (for me) at peak times which results in walking so what was the point in having it for the extra rare occasions I'd be using it off peak.

But I hate when people bring bikes onto the train even if they're fold ups, they still take up the same floor space as two adults.

Get the luas it's cheaper when you use multiple modes of transport.

loyatemu Registered User

Phil.x said:

Get the luas it's cheaper when you use multiple modes of transport.

The Luas is very busy at Heuston and I'd say it's very busy at Marlboro in the mornings too. Half an hour on the Luas vs. < 15 mins on the bike.

From observations being in those areas of the city at these times

If you were to cycle then the fold up bike to bring with you would be a much better option. As above , Dublin bike availablity and so on is an issue.

One other thing is I'm not sure if you would consider, would walking be an option ?

I used to a few years ago get the train to/from heuston and I worked in the south city, south William Street and I found the easiest for my was to just walk from heuston up and it took about 20 mins to do so.

The bus just sat in traffic so gave that a miss, the luas would be rammed with the crowds coming from the trains so gave that a miss,

I didn't feel comfortable cycling in the city with traffic and roads then (4 years ago) and even more so not now !

But I suppose I prefer walk as a mode of transportation that I don't use often enough but did find it nice to walk the city at these times with no stress from either being in the car or playing with traffic on the cycle

1 person has thanked this post
Stephen15 Registered User

loyatemu said:
The Luas is very busy at Heuston and I'd say it's very busy at Marlboro in the mornings too. Half an hour on the Luas vs. < 15 mins on the bike.

Also DB route 145

Seaswimmer Registered User

My only advice would be if going for a fold up bike get the best you can afford.

A Dahon or Brompton for example.

I had a number of cheap ones (for campervan) and they very quickly became cumbersome to fold and unfold with poorly made linkages and other low quality components.

Buy cheap. Buy twice!!

Bigus Registered User

Decathlon.co.uk Belfast do reasonable budget fold ups if you as an alternative to above.

conor2469 Registered User

loyatemu said:
buy a cheap bike and leave it at Heuston with a decent lock?

I agree with this, you can buy a bike for less than 100 euro, buy a Decent D lock and leave it in the bike sheds in Heuston.

matc66 Registered User

A foldup would be a great investment. I agree with @seaswimmer, get a good quality foldup like a Brompton. A friend bought one and I was amazed with how light and fast it was.
It should last you for years and only takes up as much space as a large briefcase, nowhere near as much as another person.

Muahahaha Registered User

conor2469 said:
I agree with this, you can buy a bike for less than 100 euro, buy a Decent D lock and leave it in the bike sheds in Heuston.

+1, its much better than lugging a folding bike around or hoping there is always a Dublin Bike available.

Hugh Jampton Registered User

Stephen15 said:
Also DB route 145

Steamy windows, one door entry/exit and stationary traffic. Not the things I look forward to when I revisit Dublin.

beauf Registered User

The trains are so packed these days that the larger folding bikes aren't really an option at peak. A Brompton is really the only folding bike that works on a really packed train.

I've a slightly larger one (not a brompton) and it fits behind the last seats, or on the luaggage rack at the door. But its almost impossible to carry through all the people standing in the doorway passage. So I avoid peak, or just don't bring it at peak.

Alternatively lots of bikes parked at Hueston.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cianginty/2396458428
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0b/83/68/0b8368b5c9bdeca59ed9e3226a4205b0--used-lockers-bike-locker.jpg

lfp Registered User

Thanks for all the great advice folks. I was completely unaware of the bike sheds in Heuston. I think getting an 80 quid second hand bike and a pair of locks is the best option.

beauf Registered User

The one advantage of the folding bike is you save time, getting off the train instead of having to get a bike and lock it. Also you might be able to keep it inside your office.

Disadvantage is its too expensive to lock on the street. I tend to use Dublin Bikes if I need to do that at lunchtimes.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!