CeilingFly Registered User

It's not that there are too many warnings. Its the hysterical sensationalist media, especially the indo that creates a yellow warning into a wild hysterical headline.

Yellow is a good one to know for those outside a lot, but for many its just "bad weather"

Problem is the hysterical indo creates a sensationalist headline which doesn't match the event. Then when there is a valid event, with a orange/red warning, people don't pay enough attention because the media cried wolf too many times.

So if the media respected the severity levels of the warnings, it would make the public better aware.

10 people have thanked this post
drunkmonkey Registered User

There at it again Orange warning for tonight -4 to -6 tonight. Completely OTT.
Does it even deserve any warning bar a notice that's it's going to be very cold, drive carefully and wrap up well.

Down to -11 in the UK and no warnings.

pistolpetes11 Moderator

drunkmonkey said:
Does it even deserve any warning bar a notice that's it's going to be very cold, drive carefully and wrap up well.

There not at it again as you put it , there is criteria to be reached and the temps expected over night have surpassed that criteria .

Obviously the warning levels need to be looked at it again but it’s not someone sitting up in Glasnevin saying sure we will bang out a weather warning for the Craic .

4 people have thanked this post
ZX7R Registered User

drunkmonkey said:

UK have 3 different yellow warnings for 3 different areas tonight.
Maybe not orange but still weather warnings none the less

Harry Palmr Registered User

I was boggled that a yellow warning was in place when I woke and heard the weather at 10 am this morning, the frost went with the sun. Ludicrous and likely to create a view they are worthless.

2 people have thanked this post
appledrop Registered User

It's an absolute joke at this stage. Basically every day since Christmas there has been a weather warning. FFS it's winter in Ireland. Guess what there is going to be some wind, rain + frost. We are an island in the Atlantic. The weather is no different than it has ever been but it is being hyped over the top.

9 people have thanked this post
Gaoth Laidir Registered User

The orange for -6 tonight is a bit farcical when we already had -6 this morning without a yellow. They had forecast down to -5 and we got -5.5. Pretty much the same forecast again tonight but this time it's an orange.

All that stuff about issuing warnings based on impact rather than numerical criteria but there is no difference at all between a forecast -5 and -6 when we're talking just dry frosty conditions.

I honestly think the whole coloured warning system should be abolished and go back to the original modus operandi of issuing Gale Warnings and clear forecasts of severe frost, extremely cold, etc. The only problem with that is people don't read forecasts, or worse, read them incorrectly.

6 people have thanked this post
GhostyMcGhost Registered User

National Warnings ⚠️
STATUS ORANGE

It’s winter. Cold, frosty weather expected with scattered showers

Issued
Annually

Valid From
Nov 1st to Feb 1st

appledrop Registered User

GhostyMcGhost said:
National Warnings ⚠️
STATUS ORANGE

Issued
Annually

Valid From
Nov 1st to Feb 1st

Brilliant that's exactly how ridiculous it is! So I drive on a lot of back roads into work which can be very dangerous with black ice. They were grand this morning. Yes it was -2 but newsflash its Jan in Ireland. A total joke. I wonder how I survived the winter of 2010 without the weather warnings.

Billgirlylegs Registered User

appledrop said:
Brilliant that's exactly how ridiculous it is! So I drive on a lot of back roads into work which can be very dangerous with black ice. They were grand this morning. Yes it was -2 but newsflash its Jan in Ireland. A total joke. I wonder how I survived the winter of 2010 without the weather warnings.

I can see both sides of this.
However, the Met Service's job is to record "the weather", predict what is going to happen, and inform the public.
Weather forecasts have been part of broadcasting as long as I can remember, and all they are doing now is using different, simpler terminology.
How many times have we heard "there was no warning" after windy / icy / rainy / snowy episodes.
Remember Ophelia - unpredictable path of a pretty destructive force. The areas in the path were glad of the warning, and other areas were wondering what all the fuss was about.

Elmer Blooker Registered User

I think temperatures as low as -6c might justify a weather warning. It may be all very well living in a centrally heated, double glazed house in an urban area but some farmhouses are old and may not be well insulated and precautions against frozen pipes would have to be taken. There are also farm animals that have to be taken into consideration, we don't live in North America and -6c is cold for this country!

8 people have thanked this post
Harry Palmr Registered User

Elmer Blooker said:
I think temperatures as low as -6c might justify a weather warning. It may be all very well living in a centrally heated, double glazed house in an urban area but some farmhouses are old and may not be well insulated and precautions against frozen pipes would have to be taken. There are also farm animals that have to be taken into consideration, we don't live in North America and -6c is cold for this country!

No competent farmer is going to get caught out by Irish weather.

nagdefy Registered User

Harry Palmr said:
No competent farmer is going to get caught out by Irish weather.

I wouldn't agree at all. Slight changes in rainfall amount, wind direction and speed have to be closely followed.

Not to mention in the summer if you're chasing someone for silage or baling hay a few hours one way or another for a dry spell to end can be curtains esp. in marginal land. Also -4C is our threshold for certain ballcocks to freeze in sheds.

Many's a time you'd be ringing a contractor due to come at 4pm on a Friday urging him to come earlier as that spell of rain was now forecast to come at noon. This could be on a Thursday evening and he has a list of people to go to and your trying to fight your corner to get higher up the list!

A break in weather where i am and some ground mightn't be traficable for 2 months.

Nothing wrong with the warnings at all. As i said before, getting slurry out before 25mm of rain makes ground too heavy to travel and your tank is flowing over and polluting.

25mm is normal winter rainfall but can make a huge difference to certain people in different scenarios.

4 people have thanked this post
nagdefy Registered User

GhostyMcGhost said:
National Warnings ⚠️
STATUS ORANGE

Issued
Annually

Valid From
Nov 1st to Feb 1st

Firstly winter is from Dec 1st to 28/29 Feb.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!