VanZan Registered User

Is there a cheap way of playing simple classics such as Space Invaders and Pac-Man etc on the move? Had a look on eBay and Amazon and can't believe there's something basic for these games that would appeal to casual gamers.

I know you can emulate them on a phone but I was looking for something simple. Like a stocking filler. I wanted to get a pressie for my brother who only has patience for those type of games and is mainly a technophobe. The closest I came to was a Atari Flashback Portable by AtGames but I'm a bit meh after looking up videos of it (and it's a bit expensive for what it is imo).

CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

The options are ports to existing consoles or emulating the original arcade code.
The former means buying a DS or a GBA and buying one of the many compilations out there.
The latter might be best on a PSP with custom firmware installed, this will play a vast array of emulators some of which will play the games you mention arcade perfect.
It's pretty easy to set up too.
CEX have the PSP, around the €50 mark Link

A quick google will provide you with all the instructions you need to install permanent CFW and load the needed programs and "files" to play the games he wants.

1 person has thanked this post
frasr Registered User

Another cheaper option might be along the lines of this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-5-Inch-Game-Handheld-LCD-Screen-Video-Game-Console-Built-in-416-Retro-Games-Console/32807549398.html

There are several more similar ones on aliexpress, this one just caught my eye, ebay should have similar. A bit of looking should find some android consoles (above one is not) & on doing a quick search, a lot of cheap ones that said they were android weren't...

For build quality, 2 year warranty, ability to add custom firmware & not waiting a month for delivery the PSP from CEX is prob a better option, but the link is 1/2 the cost & 0 setup time (if your not any bit tech minded) the above may swing in your favor

frasr Registered User

Just thinking another option could be emulation on your phone & use something like
https://www.gearbest.com/game-controllers/pp_774489.html
or
https://www.lightinthebox.com/rechargeable-wireless-gamepad-telescopic-bluetooth-game-controller-for-4-6-to-10-6-inch-iphone-ipad-android-phone_p5192612.html?
or even
https://www.gearbest.com/game-controllers/pp_622065.html

loads of options available, relatively recent list of what's recommended
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-bluetooth-gaming-controllers-403184/
budget again comes into play, I had thought before about getting the 8BITDO but ended up figuring (corretly) I wouldn't have time to use it

VanZan Registered User

I actually ordered one of these last night. Handheld GBA emulator basically. I checked and there's GBA versions of Pac Man & Space Invaders. All I need is a small micro sd to put them on. Probably won't get here before Christmas but it looks like it should do the job.

Atavan-Halen <b>He Touched My Breast!!</b>

Honestly get yourself a psp/psp go depending on what’s cheapest (usually
Can be had for around €50 Or less) and load it up with emulators and some roms. You’ll also have access to the psp library which is pretty decent.

2 people have thanked this post
sugarman Registered User

Really cant beat a PSP, they go for as little a €20 on eBay. Will play anything you throw at it, inc PS1 and of course PSP games. Theyre even a great little media player for on the go, for watching films and listening to music.

Ste- Registered User

VanZan said:
I actually ordered one of these last night. Handheld GBA emulator basically. I checked and there's GBA versions of Pac Man & Space Invaders. All I need is a small micro sd to put them on. Probably won't get here before Christmas but it looks like it should do the job.

I don't see any L+R buttons on that ?

VanZan Registered User

At the back.

megaten Registered User

VanZan said:

I was reading the emulation is pretty poor on these on another forum. It apparently uses the same chip as those old dingoo handhelds.

VanZan Registered User

Yeah it has the same Ingenic processor as the old Dingoo I had years ago. Also seems to have the same UI and SNES/GBA emulation was always patchy on the Dingoo. I do have a PSP but feel it's overkill for what I want. I'm hoping the Retro Mini will still be able to handle Pac-Man and Space Invaders. I kind of just bought it for the novelty factor too. Also picked up a PAP KIII Plus because according to the folks on dingoonity it's hackable and can run Dingux. Again I'm not expecting much except something to tinker with.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!