• Metro North (51.56%)
  • Luas Line F (Lucan) (6.64%)
  • Luas Finglas extension (2.73%)
  • Luas Poolbeg extension (1.95%)
  • DART Expansion: Interconnector tunnel (12.89%)
  • DART Expansion: Maynooth (11.72%)
  • DART Expansion: Balbriggan (1.95%)
  • None. Shane Ross bus fetish to continue (10.55%)
marno21 Moderator

Varadkar, who started, Luas Cross City, has stated his ambitions to drastically improve public transport in Dublin in his 10 year Capital Plan.

He has namedropped:

Metro North
DART Expansion
Luas Poolbeg
Luas F (Lucan)
Luas Finglas

Which one will start next?

LeinsterDub Registered User

marno21 said:
Varadkar, who started, Luas Cross City, has stated his ambitions to drastically improve public transport in Dublin in his 10 year Capital Plan.

He has namedropped:

Metro North
DART Expansion
Luas Poolbeg
Luas F (Lucan)
Luas Finglas

Which one will start next?

MN Lite will be next (hopefully) along with Bus Connects improvements

ricimaki Registered User

If the question is which should start next, the answer is Metro North, followed by Dart expansion to Maynooth, then The inter-connector tunnel.

If the question is which will start next, it will either be Metro North, or Luas extensions to Poolbeg or Finglas. Hopefully no BRT, but this is Ross....

If the government changes before Metro north construction starts (highly likely), it will be re-designed yet again, some Luas extensions will get planned but not started, and probably lots of BRT lines will be built instead. I can see DART expansion getting kicked down the road.

1 person has thanked this post
marno21 Moderator

Personally, I think its a tossup between Metro North and DART expansion to Balbriggan. Both are programmed to start around 2021, and many of the other schemes, especially DART Underground/Interconnector are too far from being shovel ready to begin before then.

Given the state of transport, it'll be important for one of these to start soon because Dublin really really needs it.

marno21 said:
Personally, I think its a tossup between Metro North and DART expansion to Balbriggan. Both are programmed to start around 2021, and many of the other schemes, especially DART Underground/Interconnector are too far from being shovel ready to begin before then.

Given the state of transport, it'll be important for one of these to start soon because Dublin really really needs it.

Is there much involved with the DART expansions bar the overhead cables?

marno21 Moderator

LeinsterDub said:
Is there much involved with the DART expansions bar the overhead cables?

Level crossing removal and resignalling definitely anyway.

Idbatterim Registered User

What Is the cheapest project? That will never the one that goes ahead next ...

sugarman Registered User

It should be Metro North AND Ballbriggan.

Ballbriggan is arguably needed more than Metro North to ease central housing demands. So much potential and space for development but too inaccessible with irregular wanderly wagon bus routes and undependable train services.

sugarman said:
It should be Metro North AND Ballbriggan.

Ballbriggan is arguably needed more than Metro North to ease central housing demands. So much potential and space for development but too inaccessible with irregular wanderly wagon bus routes and undependable train services.

Ballybriggan will have a shocking frequency. I'm not sure it would help with housing demands

BonnieSituation Registered User

DU in conjunction with Maynooth expansion. Please and thanks.

5 people have thanked this post
roadmaster Registered User

In the same sentence I think I heard Leo mention Metro North and the Luas to finglas. Did I hear right?

L1011 Moderator

DART to Balbriggan achieves nothing that can't be done with diesels.

The Maynooth line is of such an awful alignment and stop spacing that it needed electrics from the day it was reopened. There is no sane reason for Balbriggan electrification to be above it. Which means it'll probably be done before it!

5 people have thanked this post
MJohnston Registered User

marno21 said:
Level crossing removal and resignalling definitely anyway.

There are no level crossings on the Balbriggan line, which is probably why it's such an attractive proposition for the government, while offering little to the public at large.

There are 6 level crossings to remove on the Maynooth line. Ashtown is going to be the worst, I don't know whether land was ever reserved for a bridge here, but it's a real tight squeeze in the space of the current crossing, probably impossible to fit a bridge in there in fact. I wonder if this alignment would be possible:

Alternatively, maybe something could be constructed to meet the Navan Road Parkway junction? It would provide a better capacity than the Ashtown Road roundabout.

The other major ones are Coolmine Road and Clonsilla Road. Coolmine I think there's probably enough space for a bridge here, maybe they can also lower the track a little as it seems to be quite high above the canal here? Clonsilla Road, I suspect there have been solid plans for this one before as it's a heavily used car route (I know there were draft plans for all of these crossings in the past), but there's plenty of room around too.

Then there are a bunch of very minor road crossings that shouldn't be too much trouble. The old Porterstown Road one should be really simple to close, it's already "bypassed". Barberstown, there might be a couple of locals who grumble, but there is an alternative access route available that isn't too much of a diversion. Then there's another across from Intel, again a very short diversion is already available. I don't know why these 3 are still open at all to be honest.

plodder Registered User

Metro North and DART underground. Those are serious projects. Electrifying existing lines isn't really comparable, but if could be done cheaply then why not, but what we really need is infrastructure in areas that have none currently, and particularly in the case of DU, where it creates new links between existing lines. It's hard to see where new on-surface LUAS's will go in the city. Motorists probably want to get behind MN and DU I guess, as the only serious alternatives for getting commuters off the roads.

4 people have thanked this post
roadmaster Registered User

MJohnston said:
There are no level crossings on the Balbriggan line, which is probably why it's such an attractive proposition for the government, while offering little to the public at large.

There are 6 level crossings to remove on the Maynooth line. Ashtown is going to be the worst, I don't know whether land was ever reserved for a bridge here, but it's a real tight squeeze in the space of the current crossing, probably impossible to fit a bridge in there in fact. I wonder if this alignment would be possible:

Alternatively, maybe something could be constructed to meet the Navan Road Parkway junction? It would provide a better capacity than the Ashtown Road roundabout.

The other major ones are Coolmine Road and Clonsilla Road. Coolmine I think there's probably enough space for a bridge here, maybe they can also lower the track a little as it seems to be quite high above the canal here? Clonsilla Road, I suspect there have been solid plans for this one before as it's a heavily used car route (I know there were draft plans for all of these crossings in the past), but there's plenty of room around too.

Then there are a bunch of very minor road crossings that shouldn't be too much trouble. The old Porterstown Road one should be really simple to close, it's already "bypassed". Barberstown, there might be a couple of locals who grumble, but there is an alternative access route available that isn't too much of a diversion. Then there's another across from Intel, again a very short diversion is already available. I don't know why these 3 are still open at all to be honest.

Clonsilla would be good for cars as well I was stuck there for 30 mins tonight

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!