TheQuietBeatle Registered User

Thought it'd be interesting to have a dedicated thread to discuss traffic/crashes in Cork.

The traffic this morning was awful on the N25, it was backed up beyond Carrigtwohill/Middleton. Seems there was a bad accident near Little island and a truck broken down in the tunnel.

namloc1980 Registered User

Yeah. I went the back road through Glounthaune and half the road was dug up between the Elm Tree and the train station with a contraflow in place.

ShamoBuc Moderator

Passed that crash this morning, very serious, car looked very badly damaged.

Then again, not bad at all when compared to what happened in Wexford this evening.

ShamoBuc said:
Passed that crash this morning, very serious, car looked very badly damaged.

Then again, not bad at all when compared to what happened in Wexford this evening.

Looked really bad. Hope they got out okay.

1 person has thanked this post
who_me Registered User

I read so much about serious crashes, and - apart from the obvious risk of injury or loss of life! - their impact on traffic flow. It makes me wonder if it would be possible/better to have lower speed limits during peak traffic hours?

You'd likely have fewer accidents, certainly fewer serious accidents which cause blockages and lane closures, less disruptions where one driver brakes and you have a cascade of hard-braking behind.. You probably can have greater density of vehicles on the roads too, at lower speeds (less clearance needed between cars at lower speeds).

1 person has thanked this post
whisky_galore Registered User

Just sticking up a few speed limit signs won't make people behave.
People will speed when they think they'll get away with it.

When are there ever cops on the South Link, morning or evening, except in the aftermath of an accident?
They will hang around the dual carriageway past the Silver Springs alright. Shooting fish in a barrel revenue collecting job.

11 people have thanked this post
Sonics2k Registered User

who_me said:
I read so much about serious crashes, and - apart from the obvious risk of injury or loss of life! - their impact on traffic flow. It makes me wonder if it would be possible/better to have lower speed limits during peak traffic hours?

You'd likely have fewer accidents, certainly fewer serious accidents which cause blockages and lane closures, less disruptions where one driver brakes and you have a cascade of hard-braking behind.. You probably can have greater density of vehicles on the roads too, at lower speeds (less clearance needed between cars at lower speeds).

Lowering the speed limit won't do a thing. People drive like absolute bell-ends along the entire stretch from Ballincollig to the tunnel each day.

I drive both a motorbike and car to work, and the amount of mental drivers I see each day is staggering.

People going 80kmh in the overtaking lane, people hogging the overtaking lane, people speeding, cutting across lanes to get to their turn off because they were hogging the overtaking lane, people doing their hair/makeup.

13 people have thanked this post

Sonics2k said:

People going 80kmh in the overtaking lane, people hogging the overtaking lane, people speeding, cutting across lanes to get to their turn off because they were hogging the overtaking lane, people doing their hair/makeup.

Going into the wrong lane on the roundabout approach (shorter queue) and then attempting to slip back into the correct lane on while negotiating the roundabout is another one.

Changing lanes inside the tunnel and general acting the maggot like aggressive tailgating.

2 people have thanked this post
Cork Truck Driver Registered User

whisky_galore said:
Just sticking up a few speed limit signs won't make people behave.
People will speed when they think they'll get away with it.

When are there ever cops on the South Link, morning or evening, except in the aftermath of an accident?
They will hang around the dual carriageway past the Silver Springs alright. Shooting fish in a barrel revenue collecting job.

You'd see them every now and again on the hard shoulder between the Kinsale Road Roundabout and the Douglas exit.

With the current road works going on there at the moment though, they are less likely to be there.

Not sure are they widening the road or not.

There was a biker killed there a year or 2 ago.

whisky_galore said:
Going into the wrong lane on the roundabout approach (shorter queue) and then attempting to slip back into the correct lane on while negotiating the roundabout is another one.

The traffic has gotten worse in last 2 months where it seems there's a backlog now also in the Dublin lane by the tunnel. 2019 can't come soon enough for them to implement the new road system.

Sonics2k Registered User

TheQuietBeatle said:
The traffic has gotten worse in last 2 months where it seems there's a backlog now also in the Dublin lane by the tunnel. 2019 can't come soon enough for them to implement the new road system.

It gets like this every year in the run up to December. There's a massive increase in people going shopping in Mahon Point, temp staff across Mahon.

It doesn't help that there was increase of 4,000 people using the tunnel on a daily basis than was predicted up until 2020.

run_Forrest_run Registered User

Another humdinger this morning, along the Rochestown Park Hotel (again). What looked like a fender bender grinds the entire west bound orbital artery of the city to a halt for an hour.

Gardai looked very annoyed having to actually come out and do something

Sonics2k Registered User

run_Forrest_run said:
Another humdinger this morning, along the Rochestown Park Hotel (again). What looked like a fender bender grinds the entire west bound orbital artery of the city to a halt for an hour.

Gardai looked very annoyed having to actually come out and do something

Gardai were probably far more annoyed that yet another gob****e wasn't paying attention when merging on to the bloody road.

Sonics2k said:
It gets like this every year in the run up to December. There's a massive increase in people going shopping in Mahon Point, temp staff across Mahon.

It doesn't help that there was increase of 4,000 people using the tunnel on a daily basis than was predicted up until 2020.

Of course the dismal public transport stays as it is, or gets more unbearable to use.
The bus arrival times of the live displays are works of fiction is what I hear from someone I know who has to use it daily. Cork is slowly being strangled by its own success.

In the city I see they're screwing around with the one way streets, of course we'll be told it's for our own good.

run_Forrest_run Registered User

Sonics2k said:
Gardai were probably far more annoyed that yet another gob****e wasn't paying attention when merging on to the bloody road.

do you know for a fact that it was a merging incident? As discussed on other threads around here, if there was more Garda presence on that road it might enforce better driving practices.
The Gardai will know very little about this morning because no one was injured, they just spout civil remedy and they are gone again.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!