tedjennings Registered User

sodacat11 said:
The rules should be the same for everyone, I really don't see how anyone can dispute that!!

As of the above comment I can think of a least a dozen times where I can dispute that!
As to the main point:-
When it comes to running a chess tournament the only things that are black and white are the boards and pieces!
Tournament organisers must be allowed leeway to make decisions in the best interest of running the tournament.
Matters that are taken into consideration by the Tournament Director are not always obvious to others.
It goes without saying that the Tournament Director has my full confidence in these matters.

sodacat11 Registered User

cdeb said:
Are any of the invitees the 2017 winners? I think Bunratty had a policy of allowing the prior year winners to play up?

I think the rating bands would be better expressed as 0-1200; 1150-1600; 1550-2000; 1950-2900.

No,none are past winners of the Challengers and none of them would win the Challengers this year either had they been in it
. I think the best way would be to do away with the 50 point overlap altogether. It doesn't make any sense to have someone playing in the Masters who would only be the 20th seed had they played in the Challengers.
Bunratty has always been one of the strictest as far as rating bands are concerned so I am surprised and disappointed that they have changed their policy this year because other "lesser" events are likely to follow the example and start having "invites" in order to circumvent the proper rating requirements.

tedjennings said:
As of the above comment I can think of a least a dozen times where I can dispute that!
As to the main point:-
When it comes to running a chess tournament the only things that are black and white are the boards and pieces!
Tournament organisers must be allowed leeway to make decisions in the best interest of running the tournament.
Matters that are taken into consideration by the Tournament Director are not always obvious to others.
It goes without saying that the Tournament Director has my full confidence in these matters.

Well perhaps the criteria used for these "matters" you mention could be made public? I would be intrigued to know what people have to do to become "special cases".
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell, Animal Farm.

Asdee Registered User

This tread seems to have lost its way and is heading down the road of personal attacks and i thought we were past all that.

Asdee said:
This tread seems to have lost its way and is heading down the road of personal attacks and i thought we were past all that.

The only personal attack came from Danville.
I have no issue with anyone. I think that the Bunratty organisers do a great job. This "playing up" business and the silly "50 point" rule wasn't started by them, it is something that crept into Irish chess after one particular Irish Championship.
I always point it out when people get into tournaments where they don't have the rating requirement and I will continue to do so no matter what tournament it is. I thought that the situation had improved this year but there was a couple of dodgy entries in the norm tournaments recently and now the same thing is happening here.
You will be glad to hear that this is my final post on the subject, my time will be better spent preparing my openings for the different type of challenge that the Challengers will provide this weekend.

Asdee Registered User

Good luck and enjoy Bunratty sodacat11

ComDubh Registered User

Good idea by cdeb, to express the rating bands as 0-1200; 1150-1600; 1550-2000; 1950-2900. This is clearer than the notion of "playing up." I think Sodacat is right to complain about players being invited into sections that they don't qualify for. I wouldn't fancy driving down from Dublin Friday after work to play someone hundreds of points below me. Good luck at the weekend everyone!

eclipsechaser Registered User

At the risk of banging a dead donkey, I really believe that no overlap or a small overlap tournament is a bad thing for Irish chess. If you're an 1100 and all tournaments are U1200 with just a 50 point rule (or strictly U1200), then you never get to play against - say - a 1300... unless of course you win all your games - and even then, you might not go up the required 50 or 100 points. I have had cases of players winning the lower section but still being ineligible to play up at the next tournament. How are you meant to improve if you're only playing lower rated opponents?

Requiring people to win tournaments to move up is also a bad idea. We've a lot more up and coming players at 1100 than we do tournaments to win. It really slows down their exposure to stronger players and I think juniors often lose valuable experience that would help them progress faster. Imagine being 1900 but never being allowed play someone over 2000. Most of us would think that ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous at the lower end where people have the potential to improve a lot in a short period of time. People rated 1000 should get to play against 1300's often enough. In the Irish system, that just never gets to happen at tournaments.

I agree that tournaments should stick to their stated rules (although I also acknowledge it's difficult running a tournament - try it if you haven't). I'd just like to see a bit more overlap in the sections. 100 points seems like a minimum in order for people to be able to progress smoothly without an artificial barrier.

cdeb Moderator

I think it should be acknowledged that we've developed a good bit of variety in grading bands in recent years. Gonzaga is what- 0-1200; 1100-1900; 1800+? Ennis is an Open with an U1400 section alongside. Cork's top section is 1600+. The junior events obviously have huge ratings gaps. So players do have scope for playing a variety of opponents

eclipsechaser Registered User

cdeb said:
I think it should be acknowledged that we've developed a good bit of variety in grading bands in recent years. Gonzaga is what- 0-1200; 1100-1900; 1800+? Ennis is an Open with an U1400 section alongside. Cork's top section is 1600+. The junior events obviously have huge ratings gaps. So players do have scope for playing a variety of opponents

That's certainly true compared to how it had been. Drogheda also provide opportunities to mix it up a little. Still, the main ones (Cork, Galways, Kilkenny, Bunratty, Gonzaga, City of Dublin) were always U1200 and this can lead to the above issues.

flipsake Registered User

Over 360 people already entered. That is phenomenal. I guess Cork and Galway not happening this year has affected the numbers but it’s certainly shaping up to be a great event. Does anyone know of an Irish chess tournament that has attracted so many players?

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!