road_high Registered User

Hi,

I may have to buy a 5 day return commuter ticket from Kilkenny to Dublin (preferable to driving) for work thing. I see IR have the fares listed online (143.50 apparently, is this correct?).
How do I buy one? Is there a 5 or 7 day option?

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dublin-waterford

goingnowhere Registered User

7 days valid Sunday to the next Saturday, no other options

goingnowhere said:
7 days valid Sunday to the next Saturday, no other options

Thanks. Where do I buy one? Can only see standard type tickets online.

goingnowhere Registered User

road_high said:
Thanks. Where do I buy one? Can only see standard type tickets online.

Must be bought at the station

Actually works out cheaper buying daily online for the week than buying a ticket for the week. More IR business logic for ya.
What's the best way from Heuston to UCD? I am assuming 145 Dub Bus? Can I buy a weekly ticket with them rather than fiddling with change? I may get a Leap card.

caviardreams Registered User

Yep 145 is your best bet - 40-50 mins depending on time of day I would say and definitely get a leap card - cheaper and handier with automatic capping

1 person has thanked this post

caviardreams said:
Yep 145 is your best bet - 40-50 mins depending on time of day I would say and definitely get a leap card - cheaper and handier with automatic capping

Thanks. Do Dublin Bus still do 3 day rambler tickets at all? Can I buy one in Heuston? I might get that instead, no real odds as work paying.

Or would I be better buy a Leap Card (assume I can get in Eason's Heuston station) and put 30 euro credit on and use from there?
I've never used one, how does it work? Cheers

Dravokivich Registered User

Rambler tickets are only available on leap now. But youll need to review how much the fares will cost before getting one. While it can be cheaper than the fare cap, are you going to hit it?

Jamie2k9 Registered User

If its going to be using the train as a long term thing have you considered a taxsaver ticket provided your employer offer the service for €4,960.00.

Jamie2k9 said:
If its going to be using the train as a long term thing have you considered a taxsaver ticket provided your employer offer the service for €4,960.00.

Thanks, but only short term thing.

G_R Mod

road_high said:
Or would I be better buy a Leap Card (assume I can get in Eason's Heuston station) and put 30 euro credit on and use from there?
I've never used one, how does it work? Cheers

Leap is your best bet. You can get the card in the ticket machines in Heuston. Pop credit on it using either the machine in the station or app on your phone if you have an android.

Then you just tap it on the validator on the right hand side as your walking into the bus. This deducts the mac fare for the route your on. If going shorter than that, use the drivers ticket machine.

If you are using multiple busses throughout the day your fare will automatically be capped at 7eur (or 10eur if you use it on the Luas, DART or train as well). If you use two modes within 90mins of each other, you get a 1eur discount on the second trip.

G_R said:
Leap is your best bet. You can get the card in the ticket machines in Heuston. Pop credit on it using either the machine in the station or app on your phone if you have an android.

Then you just tap it on the validator on the right hand side as your walking into the bus. This deducts the mac fare for the route your on. If going shorter than that, use the drivers ticket machine.

If you are using multiple busses throughout the day your fare will automatically be capped at 7eur (or 10eur if you use it on the Luas, DART or train as well). If you use two modes within 90mins of each other, you get a 1eur discount on the second trip.

Thanks very much. And when getting off the bus, do you tap it again I assume?

devnull Moderator

road_high said:
Thanks very much. And when getting off the bus, do you tap it again I assume?

No - bus is tag on only.

devnull said:
No - bus is tag on only.

How does that work? How does it work out the fare to deduct?!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!