louiselennonm Registered User
#1

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with GRADMED And the course they run and if it’s worth it and useful, any information would be appreciated, thanks

Celestial12 Registered User
#2

How much does it cost? I've heard people say prep courses are overpriced and not worth it, but perhaps they work for some people. I sat the exam in September and there wasn't any courses available at the time so I didn't do any. I think it depends on your circumstances, are you hoping to start GEM next year? If not, then I definitely wouldn't do a prep course as you'll have more than one chance to sit the exam.

I found the Des O'Neil material good prep for the exam.

louiselennonm Registered User
#3

It costs just over 2000 I think for the science which is where I need the most work as I come from a non science background. The reason I like the idea of the course is structure and guidance on how to go about study etc however if it is a waste I of course don’t want to spend the money. I have the des o Neill prep stuff so will be using that too. What did you get in the exam If you don’t mind me asking?

Celestial12 Registered User
#4

louiselennonm said:
It costs just over 2000 I think for the science which is where I need the most work as I come from a non science background. The reason I like the idea of the course is structure and guidance on how to go about study etc however if it is a waste I of course don’t want to spend the money. I have the des o Neill prep stuff so will be using that too. What did you get in the exam If you don’t mind me asking?


I got 63 in the exam (SI 56, SII 64 and SIII 67). Work your way through the Des material, Khan academy videos are good too (I used them to brush up on Chemistry). Biology I just briefly bushed up on, my degree was biology based though. Didn't have time to cover physics! I don't think the Des O'Nell notes are great, but their practice tests are. I also briefly used some of the Berkeley (MCAT) notes.

I think €2000 is very expensive for the course, but if you think you'll benefit then go for it!

louiselennonm Registered User
#5

yeah i agree it is a lot! just so unsure how to begin, I'm in 2nd year of a 3 year degree so do have some time and three chances to sit GAMSAT before i finish my degree, just the amount of science there is i find very daunting, well done in the exam!

Celestial12 Registered User
#6

louiselennonm said:
yeah i agree it is a lot! just so unsure how to begin, I'm in 2nd year of a 3 year degree so do have some time and three chances to sit GAMSAT before i finish my degree, just the amount of science there is i find very daunting, well done in the exam!


Thanks! There's lots of online resources. Did you do any science subjects for the LC? The biology is pretty straight forward in the GAMSAT, a lot of it is data interpretation and any info you need is given in the question. If you're good at section I and II, good scores there can compensate for a weaker score in section III. You'll figure out a strategy that works for you as you get into the study.

medennial Registered User
#7

Celestial12 said:
I got 63 in the exam (SI 56, SII 64 and SIII 67). Work your way through the Des material, Khan academy videos are good too (I used them to brush up on Chemistry). Biology I just briefly bushed up on, my degree was biology based though. Didn't have time to cover physics! I don't think the Des O'Nell notes are great, but their practice tests are. I also briefly used some of the Berkeley (MCAT) notes.

I think €2000 is very expensive for the course, but if you think you'll benefit then go for it!


€2000 is definitely very expensive. Doing the exam without a science background is completely possible. I sat it for the first time there in September and scored 60. I did law and finance in undergrad, so have no science backing whatsoever and did very limited study for the GAMSAT. I worked a full time job and started to study about four months before the exam. I found a combination of Khan Academy and Des O’Neill worked really well and it saved me a lot of money rather than shelling out for a prep course.

You’ll get a lot of great material on Adverts.ie , maybe have a look here before you spend a couple thousand on a course. I’m now using the time before starting GEM to do free chemistry courses to brush up on my own knowledge at an easier pace, rather than trying to cram it for the exam

e1994 Registered User
#8

This might be a ridiculous question but are you allowed to write on the paper that the essay questions come on? i.e. to make a quick plan?

Recap Registered User
#9

medennial said:
Celestial12 said:
I got 63 in the exam (SI 56, SII 64 and SIII 67). Work your way through the Des material, Khan academy videos are good too (I used them to brush up on Chemistry). Biology I just briefly bushed up on, my degree was biology based though. Didn't have time to cover physics! I don't think the Des O'Nell notes are great, but their practice tests are. I also briefly used some of the Berkeley (MCAT) notes.

I think €2000 is very expensive for the course, but if you think you'll benefit then go for it!


€2000 is definitely very expensive. Doing the exam without a science background is completely possible. I sat it for the first time there in September and scored 60. I did law and finance in undergrad, so have no science backing whatsoever and did very limited study for the GAMSAT. I worked a full time job and started to study about four months before the exam. I found a combination of Khan Academy and Des O’Neill worked really well and it saved me a lot of money rather than shelling out for a prep course.

You’ll get a lot of great material on Adverts.ie , maybe have a look here before you spend a couple thousand on a course. I’m now using the time before starting GEM to do free chemistry courses to brush up on my own knowledge at an easier pace, rather than trying to cram it for the exam

I just want to reiterate this point. My advice is the following:
- Get yourself acquainted with the test format and do tons of past papers;
- Understand the basic concepts in chemistry, physics and biology;
- I would rather spend the £260ish on sitting an extra session and better grasping the test conditions.

1 person has thanked this post
AthenaFortuna Registered User
#10

For those sitting in March, can this result be used to apply for courses beginning in 2018? I also sat in September but am resitting to try and improve my mark a bit.

Celestial12 Registered User
#11

AthenaFortuna said:
For those sitting in March, can this result be used to apply for courses beginning in 2018? I also sat in September but am resitting to try and improve my mark a bit.


Yes, you can use the March score. September 2016 & 2017, March 2017 & 2018 can all be used for 2018 entry.

yamadeejit Registered User
#12

I am doing a full time pharmacy internship at the minute so I am finding it difficult to squeeze in study time. Anyone have any advice? Would 2 and a bit months be enough? Starting to lose hope a bit.

Celestial12 Registered User
#13

yamadeejit said:
I am doing a full time pharmacy internship at the minute so I am finding it difficult to squeeze in study time. Anyone have any advice? Would 2 and a bit months be enough? Starting to lose hope a bit.


It's more than enough time! I'd recommend doing practice questions. Des O'Neill and the Acer questions are good.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!