unkel Category Moderator

+1

And the rules are clear. And the process is smooth. Brought in a 30 year old car from the UK myself recently, booked the appointment on the day I brought the car in. Appointment was for sometime about a week later. Went to the appointment, there was nobody ahead of me, I had all the right paperwork and the whole process took about 10 minutes. Then I made the pament and got the cert with the reg on it. Was told it would take 24h before I could tax it and 48h before I could book the NCT. Tried the tax the next day and it worked. Tried the NCT the day after and it worked, booked the car in for the week after.

1 person has thanked this post
freddyuk Registered User

Isambard said:
Once the car is in a complete state you can present it to be VRTd. You can't do it until then anyway. Not much you can do about it. Personally I'd be creative with my documentation

Thank you for understanding my post. I am just looking for some evidence from the Irish government that states the car needs to be "running" or "mechanically propelled at this time" as the VRT centre could not or would not confirm this. The car is not running so accordingly if you are correct it cannot be VRT'd at this time. Hence the 30 days rule is of no effect.
Then I rebuild the car and get it "running" and present for VRT inspection where they want proof of entry into the State within 30 days of the date of inspection ....... Ah, there is a problem. Seems an obvious problem to me.

Isambard Registered User

I don't think it needs to be running nor does it need to come off the trailer. It does need to be complete though I think, or apparently so. In other words it needs glass and seats and all body panels, an engine etc.

Maybe you should regard it currently as a collection of parts and not a complete car until the last component is imported and present evidence of that? Not very helpful but I don't think there's an answer to this problem. The system isn't designed for the VRTing of a project., it's designed for the importation of viable cars.

The alternative is to present the car and have them refuse to VRT it , which covers the base of attempting to VRT it within the 30 days. Maybe they wont bat an eyelid and VRT for you as it stands. Humans vary.

Testacalda Registered User

freddyuk said:
T The car is not running so accordingly if you are correct it cannot be VRT'd at this time. Hence the 30 days rule is of no effect.

Not correct. The car does not have to be running and can be presented at the VRT office on a trailer and does not need to come off.

The nice lady in the VRT office I went to with my friends old Merc, told us that it has to be 'viable as a vehicle' and that this was subjective and up to the VRT officer.

She said as long as it appears complete, has an engine etc... it will be fine. The point she was making to us was that you can't VRT just a shell, it has to be for all intents and purposes a 'complete vehicle'

VRT'd the Merc no problem, it was rough but mostly complete, in fact as my trailer was high, she asked me to climb up an read out the VIN to her imagine that!

The solution to your problem is still to go and book a VRT appointment now, wait your turn and get it registered on an Irish reg. Declare it off the road as soon as you receive the paperwork and then you can do what you like with the car until you are ready to drive it. Simples!

If you are not available yourself it is possible for someone else to do it on your behalf

3 people have thanked this post
freddyuk Registered User

Thank you that is helpful information and confirms my suspicions that it is subjective and there are no rules to follow that make it a simple task to complete. The car is complete except it has no seats/bumpers/dashboard but it has chassis ID and engine ID present and that is what identifies the car. It is now off the trailer and in my garage.
I have a way to complete the VRT process as this car does not exist in Ireland as far as anyone is concerned. I just need to disclose at the right time that a car came through the port of entry on a trailer and book a VRT within 30 days of that. The car is then presented with docs and gets registered.

Dades Would you like to know more?

I bet you have a TV license.

1 person has thanked this post
freddyuk Registered User

Dades said:
I bet you have a TV license.

And a Dog licence......

pryantcc Registered User

I've been sent away from VRT appointment at the NCT centre because I couldn't remove the vehicle from the trailer. I didn't even bring ramps with me. They weren't satisfied with seeing it running, I had to make another appointment and come back another day. They required that I remove it from the trailer and drive it back on in front of them.

Isambard Registered User

pryantcc said:
I've been sent away from VRT appointment at the NCT centre because I couldn't remove the vehicle from the trailer. I didn't even bring ramps with me. They weren't satisfied with seeing it running, I had to make another appointment and come back another day. They required that I remove it from the trailer and drive it back on in front of them.

wow, book it in somewhere else!

aujopimur Registered User

pryantcc said:

You came on here looking for advice, you got it, but ignored it.

Testacalda Registered User

pryantcc said:
I couldn't remove the vehicle from the trailer. I didn't even bring ramps with me.

In all fairness that is no ones fault but your own. The VRT process requires people to follow the rules and proccedures. Ignore them at your peril

pryantcc Registered User

aujopimur said:
pryantcc said:

You came on here looking for advice, you got it, but ignored it.

Testacalda said:
pryantcc said:
I couldn't remove the vehicle from the trailer. I didn't even bring ramps with me.

In all fairness that is no ones fault but your own. The VRT  process requires people  to follow the rules and proccedures. Ignore them at your peril

There appears to be some confusion. I didn't come on here looking for advice. I am simply sharing my experience which contradicts the advice that freddyuk has been given in this thread. I thought it might be useful for him to know that the NCT centres don't all take a relaxed view and some will require proof that the vehicle can propel itself.

6 people have thanked this post
Irish Steve Moderator

Not a classic, but I did some research recently on the VRT registration requirements, and the relevant information is fairly clear. If it' can't be driven, or moved, it can't be VRT processed as it's not a mechanically propelled vehicle. I have highlighted in bold the bits that seem to be pretty categoric to me.

The vehicle I brought in is at present a non runner due to major mechanical issues, and it will be a little while before it can be driven. It may well be the case that the local VRT office will try to impose a late penalty, but it will be appealed if it happens, as I am also aware of a case recently where a NI vehicle that had serious mechanical failure while visiting the Republic was bought, and subsequently repaired by the purchaser, and he appealed the surcharge, which was refunded on appeal.

The obligation to register arises within 30 days of importation for a mechanically propelled vehicle which is defined in section 130 Finance Act 1992 (as amended in 2007) as

“mechanically propelled vehicle” means a vehicle that –

(a) has been designed and constructed for road use,
(b) is, at the time of declaration for registration, in compliance with any measures taken to give effect in the State to any act of the European Communities relating to the approximation of the laws of Member States in respect of type-approval for the type of vehicle concerned,
(c) isi ntended or adapted for propulsion by a mechanical means, or by an electrical means or by a partly mechanical and a partly electrical means, and
(d) is capable of achieving vehicle propulsion at the time of registration, to the satisfaction of the Commissioners,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Road traffic act 1961
(2) Where a vehicle, which, apart from this subsection, would be a mechanically propelled vehicle, stands so substantially disabled (either through accident, breakdown or the removal of the engine or other such vital part) as to be no longer capable of being propelled mechanically, it shall be regarded for the purposes of this Act as not being a mechanically propelled vehicle.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!