Fourier Registered User

Posted this in the tabletop forum, but it was suggested some here might be interested:

Anybody interested in an online play-by-post game of some tabletop RPG. I've been finding Roll20 difficult to schedule as most players are in different time zones and so would prefer an Irish crowd.

No experience required and it'd be relaxed enough in pace.

Games I'd be interested in running:

1st Edition D&D, but with one of the modern adventures (award winning ones published in the last few years).

Cyberpunk 2020 Blade Runner-ish, also going to be made into a game by the lads who made the Witcher games

Rippers Resurrected High action Victorian horror, like a lighter Penny Dreadful

All of these have very cheap pdf options.

EDIT: Another possibility is Vampire: The Masquerade.

Digital Solitude Registered User

Sign me up! Have a little experience DMing D&D 5e if we want more options in future?

Been looking to get a solid group together for ages, would love to be a player after so long.

Mollyb60 Registered User

Oh ho ho ho I am IN!!!!

*brushes off paladin cape and sword*

Vampire Masquerade was the very first RPG I ever played. What an introduction!

Necrominus Registered User

Might watch the first one of these unfold before I jump in. Will be busy for next few weeks so can't commit to playing right now but definitely interested

OldGoat Registered User

Noob, or rather cannon fodder here. I've a single 5th ed campaign under my belt but looking to expand my experiences.

Are we talking Play by snailmail or Play byEMail? Do I need to practice my handwriting? I'm sure I have a fountain pen around here somewhere.

Mollyb60 Registered User

Yes actually I've never played an online RPG before. I guess it would be all based in a thread kinda like the werewolf games? All gameplay on the thread maybe using an online dice generator for rolls etc?

I've only ever played 5e of D&D so I wouldn't be familiar with 1st edition stats and rules etc. So we might need to either have a crash course in rules or just learn as we go (which I'm always a fan of!)

Fourier Registered User

Yeah, it's pretty similar to the werewolf games, just with the occasional call for a dice roll (mostly in combat or for powers) and the dice rolls are on one of the sites that has logged dice rolls (e.g. orokos.com or rollz.org)

If you know D&D 5E you actually already know 1E, just a load of rules don't exist in 1E. I could give a quick primer. Or to be honest we can use 5E if you already know it. Either are fine as they both have free versions of the rules online and the adventures are written with either 1E or 5E in mind (they wouldn't work with the more complex 3E).

What game would people like? I've run each roughly ten times and played in them all, so I really don't mind.

1 person has thanked this post
Fourier Registered User

Necrominus said:
Might watch the first one of these unfold before I jump in. Will be busy for next few weeks so can't commit to playing right now but definitely interested

If you decide to join, I can always have you appear at the next pub/tavern/genre appropriate watering hole at any point, so no worries.

2 people have thanked this post
OldGoat Registered User

I'm inexperienced enough to hold no preferences in what edition you use, happy with whatever ye decide.
I like the idea of playing first edition just to see how the game mechanics differ but at the same time playing in the familiar rules of 5ed is less daunting.

/Sits squarely on the fence.

Mollyb60 Registered User

I'd be happy to go with 1e

I'd like to give 1E a whack, its pretty brutal is it not?

Wouldn't mind a run at Rippers either if people got behind it

Fourier Registered User

I'd like to give 1E a whack, its pretty brutal is it not?

Wouldn't mind a run at Rippers either if people got behind it

1E is quite brutal, I'll go into that a bit in the primer on it.

I'd definitely have no problem running two games, so if we got others for a game of Rippers I'd run it.

1E seems to be the main choice, so I'll write the primer later today.

I have had one other person express interest, so I'll leave the thread for a day or two and we could start Sunday or Monday possibly.

Fourier Registered User

Regarding the pace of the game, typically three posts a week per individual is normal pace, would people be up for that? Slower/Quicker?

That's much lower than I was expecting, I could do faster but that sounds good to me.

No rush on when it starts either

Did Fourier just close his account though?

Banjo Registered User

Since I've found myself hanging around this forum a bit due to the Pokemans thing anyway... what does this entail? I've never played a table-top RPG, but I did see the episode of Community where Fat Neil needed cheering up if that helps. Maybe I could just be a foxy lizardwench serving at that first tavern, see how it goes....

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!