o1s1n Registered User

I'm a bit behind the times on this, only read up on it for the first time last night. Anyone have one?

Apparently it's a Framemister beater and has zero lag (one thing that has been turning me off the Framemeister.)

To top it off, it's considerably cheaper. Tempted to pick one up for the LMDs!

2 people have thanked this post
sugarman Registered User

Been tempted myself, but its way down the list at the moment.

Reviews are great, would like to hear from anyone on here that might have one.

DinoRex Registered User

Looks interesting.

No composite or S-Video on it, though.

I only got a Framemister earlier in the year and have been a bit too busy to play around with it much, but I do like the quality that I'm able to capture from my Commodore 64 at, but for whatever reason I can only capture from the C64 over composite and SCART didn't work.

The Last Bandit Registered User

Kerbdog has one and I bought one recently, just waiting on the postman to drop it off. There is a guy in the UK on Amibay that is making them up.

Not sure if its a Framemeister killer, but its definitely a lot cheaper and is getting updates which can only improve things over time.

3 people have thanked this post
DinoRex Registered User

Framemister is going out of production as well, isn't it?

So good that there is some manner of alternative out there.

KeRbDoG Registered User

Yup I have one - haven't really had time to play with it too much but as DinoRex mentioned it doesn't seem to have composite or S-Video input. Aimed at RGB/Component and doesn't seem to play nice with original SNES RGB cables. A good review here on YouTubes though;
(Invalid youtube)

4 people have thanked this post
sugarman Registered User

KeRbDoG said:
Yup I have one - haven't really had time to play with it too much but as DinoRex mentioned it doesn't seem to have composite or S-Video input. Aimed at RGB/Component and doesn't seem to play nice with original SNES RGB cables. A good review here on YouTubes though

I was trying to look it up, but couldnt see anything. It isnt by any chance a shared connection for composite/component? On my tele the Green on component acts as the composite video in too.

o1s1n Registered User

sugarman said:
I was trying to look it up, but couldnt see anything. It isnt by any chance a shared connection for composite/component? On my tele the Green on component acts as the composite video in too.

Unfortunately by the looks of things it's just not supported at the moment I was hoping it would go through the scart connection too myself.

Might hold off and wait to see if there's another iteration with that included, would be nice to have an on screen menu added in too.

1 person has thanked this post
sugarman Registered User

Just half thinking here, would there be much of an interest if I could make up a few these on the cheap?

I'm an electrical engineer by trade and work putting together/testing/repairing SMD boards like this on a daily basis.

I could try price up batches of PCBs to see if I can get a them made at a better price than the £39.60 they're looking for on video game perfection, and I could definitely get the components at a better price than £37.20 they're charging.. particularly ordering in a bigger bulk.

Ive a programmer to flash firmware too, so dont even need pre programmed parts.

Just toying with the idea. I might give it a go myself first and see it goes / if it would be worth my while.

5 people have thanked this post

The gerbers are here and a batch of 10 4 layer boards can be got for €60-€70 so definitely can be made a lot cheaper.

1 person has thanked this post
o1s1n Registered User

geotrig Registered User

DinoRex said:
Framemister is going out of production as well, isn't it?

So good that there is some manner of alternative out there.

one of the chips they where using was going out of production , i thought i saw mutterings that an alternate was found but cant really remember clearly now

sugarman Registered User

The Last Bandit said:
The gerbers are here and a batch of 10 4 layer boards can be got for €60-€70 so definitely can be made a lot cheaper.

Thanks, was already having a look at them! If I do get around to it, Id be hopeful of getting them for significantly less than that. I've a few contacts from the job.

I'll look into it in more detail later on. As I said, i'll try pull the parts together myself and have a go, and see if its worth while doing up a few. I'll as always keep everyone updated.

Doge Now In 3D!

I'd also be interested in one.

They seem to play nicely with Sony 4K TV's:

http://retrorgb.com/upscalercompare.html

Got mine, looks nicely put together no chance of trying it out yet though....

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!