tabbey Registered User
#16

A physical barrier is the only real solution.

A flexible warning of steel chains a hundred metres in advance, followed by a heavy duty rigid barrier closer to the bridge.

It is ugly and crude but preferable to the bridge strikes and the expense and disruption which ensues.

The unfortunate victims of the Clogh disaster, New Years Eve 1975 would be still alive perhaps if a strict attitude had been in place then.

1 person has thanked this post
#17

The penalty point list says "Bridge strikes, etc.". What does the "etc." refer to? Does striking permanent fixtures like bollards count as well?

GM228 Registered User
#18

Gerrup Outta Dat! said:
The penalty point list says "Bridge strikes, etc.". What does the "etc." refer to? Does striking permanent fixtures like bollards count as well?


They say "etc" because the offence is actually for driving under and striking a "structure" - which is defined as a bridge, viaduct, subway, tunnel, underpass, overpass or flyover.

Mind you, you would be doing well to drive under and hit a subway, underpass or tunnel!

1 person has thanked this post
Dravokivich Registered User
#19

GM228 said:
They say "etc" because the offence is actually for driving under and striking striking a "structure" - which is defined as a bridge, viaduct, subway, tunnel, underpass, overpass or flyover.

Mind you, you would be doing well to drive under and hit a subway, underpass or tunnel!


Must mean the roof of'em?

cython Registered User
#20

And another bridge strike at Barrow Street makes a mess of DART and Dublin commuter services for Friday rush hour

Seriously, how incompetent or negligent can these so-called professional drivers (given that these must all be high-sided vehicles) be, do they see it as a challenge to outdo each other?!

marno21 Moderator
#21

cython said:
And another bridge strike at Barrow Street makes a mess of DART and Dublin commuter services for Friday rush hour

Seriously, how incompetent or negligent can these so-called professional drivers (given that these must all be high-sided vehicles) be, do they see it as a challenge to outdo each other?!

A driving ban would definately reduce the frequency of this happening.

The amount of times it happens with the Limerick tunnel given the amount of advance warning at the tunnel entrance is proof of how little these drivers care about strikes.

3 people have thanked this post
XPS_Zero Registered User
#22

Here we go again. I'm not, for once, annoyed at Irish rail for this delay, they have to check the bridge even though they know it's probably fine, and to their credit they are usually out pretty fast...but it's time to come down hard on this.

It's happening every other week now, even though it's a FAMOUS problem "don't hit the f----g bridge around Grand Canal Dock everyone knows what bridge it is at this stage and if you don't know one of the most common road issues in the city should you be driving a truck in it at all?

My idea of putting a sniper up there might seem far fetched, but let me make my case. Our snipers, especially the ones in special forces, win competitions all the time against guys with far more operational experience in other forces, if were not gonna put them to use eliminating a certain gangster abroad causing remote ciaos here (as I'd like) - lets put them to use handling this? Come on they'll be that much closer to the city centre if an active shooter situation develops, if some angry virgin "Muslim" twentysomething watches too many youtube videos about Syria and goes nuts they'll be right near by anyway - it's win win. Once they shoot one of them do you think a second one will hit that bridge?

Too much? Can we at least strip their license then? I don't think points are enough. There needs to be an extreme deterrent it's a bridge TRAINS full of people go over what if they hit it at full speed and it actually does damage it's structural integrity? Will we wait until some idiot actually does it as a train goes over it and theres deaths?
That is our general security policy in Ireland isn't it? hope it does not happen then fumble when it does happen then close the barn door after the horse has bolted.

GreeBo Registered User
#23

The Haulage company should be forced to pay for the repairs and also a fixed fine.


While a barrier before the bridge wouldnt stop trucks getting that far, it would stop them hitting and damaging the bridge.

I'd rather a delay while the trucks turns around than days/weeks of delay while the bridge is repaired.

2 people have thanked this post
monument Moderator
#24

XPS_Zero said:
My idea of putting a sniper up there might seem far fetched, but let me make my case. Our snipers, especially the ones in special forces, win competitions all the time against guys with far more operational experience in other forces, if were not gonna put them to use eliminating a certain gangster abroad causing remote ciaos here (as I'd like) - lets put them to use handling this? Come on they'll be that much closer to the city centre if an active shooter situation develops, if some angry virgin "Muslim" twentysomething watches too many youtube videos about Syria and goes nuts they'll be right near by anyway - it's win win. Once they shoot one of them do you think a second one will hit that bridge?


Joking about snipers is one thing but we really can do without dealing with the bit in bold -- don't post it again.

-- moderator

1 person has thanked this post
marvin80 Registered User
#25

john boye said:
The bridges are going on strike now??


I thought one of our favourite posters would have come along by now and said "there perfectly entitled to go on strike"

3 people have thanked this post
monument Moderator
#26

cython said:
And another bridge strike at Barrow Street makes a mess of DART and Dublin commuter services for Friday rush hour

Seriously, how incompetent or negligent can these so-called professional drivers (given that these must all be high-sided vehicles) be, do they see it as a challenge to outdo each other?!


I know bridge strikes happens at other places besides Barrow Street and it's not a solution for most other places, but there was a plan to close the Barrow Street underpass to all but people on foot and on bicycles.

The reason for the plan was mainly to do with giving space to the large volumes of pedestrians and make the street more friendly to both cycling and walking given the volume of both going to offices on the street (not just Google).

I thought it was given approval but maybe it never was.

With a quick search I can't see details on the city council's site, only this news report: https://www.herald.ie/news/locals-fear-google-hq-traffic-chaos-28848371.html

Cookie_Monster Registered User
#27

GreeBo said:
The Haulage company should be forced to pay for the repairs and also a fixed fine.


While a barrier before the bridge wouldnt stop trucks getting that far, it would stop them hitting and damaging the bridge.

I'd rather a delay while the trucks turns around than days/weeks of delay while the bridge is repaired.


This, so much simpler than faffing around with infra red etc. Just put some big piece of steel in place, paint it up nicely (why not?) and off you go.

2 people have thanked this post
Vic_08 Registered User
#28

XPS_Zero said:
There needs to be an extreme deterrent it's a bridge TRAINS full of people go over what if they hit it at full speed and it actually does damage it's structural integrity? Will we wait until some idiot actually does it as a train goes over it and theres deaths?


https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/remembering-the-new-year-s-eve-train-crash-of-1975-1.2480479

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!