The_Conductor Moderator
#1

New 2017 Campaign Announced this morning
Advertisement here

Closing date for applications is the 19th of October.

Best of good luck everyone!

Edit: Familiarisation / information booklet attached

18 people have thanked this post
Riskymove Registered User
#2

Just to add there is also a seperate campaign at AO level for Graduate Economists/EValuators launched today

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/61531.htm

5 people have thanked this post
bronzesheep Registered User
#3

Anyone know the full scale for this grade?

It has a starting salary listed as €31,221, but I can't spot the full scale in the information booklet.

Sparks15 Registered User
#4

bronzesheep said:
Anyone know the full scale for this grade?

It has a starting salary listed as €31,221, but I can't spot the full scale in the information booklet.


The Personal Pension Contribution (PPC) salary rate for the position of an Administrative Officer is as follows (1st April 2017)

€31,221​
€33,575​
€34,247​
€37,194​
€40,967​
€43,838
€46711
€49,593​
€52,466​
€55,329(NMAX)​
€57,314(LSI1)
€59,294(LSI2)​

Long Service Increment (LSI1) = may be payable following 3 years satisfactory service at the maximum

Long Service Increment (LSI2) = may be payable following 6 years satisfactory service at the maximum

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/17170309_AO_Principal_Conditions_2017.doc

2 people have thanked this post
galgal07 Registered User
#5

I am wondering if it's worth applying if you're not interested in a position in Dublin? The info booklet states "It is envisaged that these graduate opportunities will arise across a range of Departments with the majority of these vacancies based in Dublin, however, regional positions may arise from time to time."

The_Conductor Moderator
#6

galgal07 said:
I am wondering if it's worth applying if you're not interested in a position in Dublin? The info booklet states "It is envisaged that these graduate opportunities will arise across a range of Departments with the majority of these vacancies based in Dublin, however, regional positions may arise from time to time."


To the best of my knowledge- there are current vacancies across most of the Departments taking part in the competition- however the list of regional locations is rather spartan. Aka- Revenue and Foreign Affairs probably have a few Limerick and Cork posts, Agriculture- Portlaoise, DSP- Carrick-on-Shannon- and that might be about it. AO is predominantly Dublin based- and tends to be treated differently than the other general service grades. You 'might' get a regional offer- but its a bit of a long shot- and it would be unfair to assume even if you got placed on a panel- that there would be a regional post to be filled.

Some people from the last panel were accommodated- by being back-filled into defacto HEO posts- more as staff managers- than traditional HEO posts- however, that doesn't appear to have gone particularly well (several AOs quit in quick succession- as the post didn't live up to what they expected).

Impossible to tell really- but if you're not willing to countenance a Dublin post- its a bit of a long shot.

Note- even at lower grades you can have to travel to Dublin and/or other locations for specific aspects of your work. Just because you're based in Clonakilty (and yes- there is a fairly large government office in Clon)- doesn't mean you won't have to drive elsewhere as required (you'll get mileage and subsistence etc- but its not something you'll get rich on.......)

2 people have thanked this post
bodun Registered User
#7

Sparks15 said:
The Personal Pension Contribution (PPC) salary rate for the position of an Administrative Officer is as follows (1st April 2017)

€31,221​
€33,575​
€34,247​
€37,194​
€40,967​
€43,838
€46711
€49,593​
€52,466​
€55,329(NMAX)​
€57,314(LSI1)
€59,294(LSI2)​

Long Service Increment (LSI1) = may be payable following 3 years satisfactory service at the maximum

Long Service Increment (LSI2) = may be payable following 6 years satisfactory service at the maximum

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/17170309_AO_Principal_Conditions_2017.doc



I am currently in the Public service and in the middle of the scale above. If I was successful here would I stay on my current salary or would I have to start at the bottom?

The explanation is a bit vague saying different terms may apply if you are already a public servant.

SJ. Registered User
#8

bodun said:
I am currently in the Public service and in the middle of the scale above. If I was successful here would I stay on my current salary or would I have to start at the bottom?

The explanation is a bit vague saying different terms may apply if you are already a public servant.


Public service? or civil service?

bodun Registered User
#9

SJ. said:
Public service? or civil service?


I'm currently in the Public service.

The_Conductor Moderator
#10

bodun said:
I'm currently in the Public service.


Depending on the nature of the post you're currently in- and whether, or not, it has parity or relativity to a civil service grade- you are entitled to 1), 2) or 3)(depending on the post).

1. Consideration as a new entrant at the bottom of the salary scale, but pre-existing public sector pension contributions transferred to your new employer under the public sector transfer network.

2. A maximum of 2 increments on the stated salary scale and transfer of accrued pension entitlements

3. Start point on the AO PPC scale at the point closest to your current salary- without any loss in pay for you (this can mean a small payrise- typically of around 400-500 Euro per annum).

It depends on the post- and you would be advised to seek clarification from PAS on this.

1 person has thanked this post
HairyCabbage Registered User
#11

I have just graduated with a degree in applied maths, do I have a hope with this?

1 person has thanked this post
Riskymove Registered User
#12

HairyCabbage said:
I have just graduated with a degree in applied maths, do I have a hope with this?


why wouldn't you?

once you have a first or second honours degree you can apply

The_Conductor Moderator
#13

Riskymove said:
why wouldn't you?

once you have a first or second honours degree you can apply


That's a first or a second class honour on a Level 8 Honours Degree (i.e. if you have a first or second class honour in a level 7 degree- it doesn't count).

Further information on what constitutes a level 8 qualification here: http://www.nfq-qqi.com/

bodun Registered User
#14

The_Conductor said:
Depending on the nature of the post you're currently in- and whether, or not, it has parity or relativity to a civil service grade- you are entitled to 1), 2) or 3)(depending on the post).

1. Consideration as a new entrant at the bottom of the salary scale, but pre-existing public sector pension contributions transferred to your new employer under the public sector transfer network.

2. A maximum of 2 increments on the stated salary scale and transfer of accrued pension entitlements

3. Start point on the AO PPC scale at the point closest to your current salary- without any loss in pay for you (this can mean a small payrise- typically of around 400-500 Euro per annum).

It depends on the post- and you would be advised to seek clarification from PAS on this.


Ok thanks. I'm in a clerical officer role under the HSE so I presume it would be similar to the CS. I'll check with PAS.

#15

HairyCabbage said:
I have just graduated with a degree in applied maths, do I have a hope with this?


I got through the campaign last year (due to be placed this month) and I had just graduated and had never worked before. Go for it! Especially with something like maths.

3 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!