Gonzaga 5.5 Curragh 2.5

Rathminor Registered User

Rathmines 3 Balbriggan 5

cdeb Moderator

St Benildus A 6.5-1.5 St Benildus B

cdeb Moderator

L1m1tless said:
Gonzaga 5.5 Curragh 2.5

That's quite a good result. I see also Dun Laoghaire beat Trinity 6-2. Are we in for a more competitive Armstrong than in recent years?

L1m1tless Better Than Yesterday

Perhaps not, Gonzaga were missing some of their big players against us.

Tim Harding Registered User

cdeb said:
That's quite a good result. I see also Dun Laoghaire beat Trinity 6-2. Are we in for a more competitive Armstrong than in recent years?

So far as I can tell, the Trinity captain forgot to request the customary postponement of our round one matches (because term has not started). Consequently they didn't have enough players. I was told the match was on about noon - far too little notice.

I gather there were four draws; whether there was actually any play on the lower boards I cannot say. Maybe a Dun Laoghaire player can clarify.

Trinity's next match is against Gonzaga. If Gonzaga win you can count Trinity out as contenders for this season.

EnPassant Registered User

Dublin 3 Elm Mount 5

cdeb Moderator

St Benildus B 3-5 Bray/Greystones.

We're already 1.5 points behind where we were after the same two games two years ago; playing ok and with a weaker squad, but already fairly clear we'll be struggling to match our haul from two years ago.

Trinity 2-6 Gonzaga on the ICU ticker. So that's Trinity almost out of it already, with 4 points from their first two matches.

mikhail Registered User

cdeb said:
Trinity 2-6 Gonzaga on the ICU ticker. So that's Trinity almost out of it already, with 4 points from their first two matches.

While their first round result was disasterous, the most anyone took off Gonzaga last year was 3 points, so Trinity have hardly lost much ground there.

cdeb Moderator

True - but I guess 7.5 points behind Gonzaga after two rounds, having already played them, is almost already too much to allow them mount a challenge for the league I think. They really needed to at least draw with them to keep a title challenge alive. And Trinity would be one of the few clubs who could have genuine hopes of at least challenging for the Armstrong.

(Also, Trinity got 3.5 off Gonzaga in the final round last year; presumably you missed that one at the bottom)

mikhail Registered User

I had assumed you were talking about the fight for second place!

cdeb Moderator

Ha! No. It's still early in the season yet; we should at least pretend that a title challenge can be mounted, or that a B team can stay up.

macelligott Registered User

Round 2
Elm Mount 6.5 - 1.5 Dun Laoighaire

Rathminor Registered User

Curragh 3.5 Rathmines 4.5

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!