Jpmarn Registered User

Some thunder and lightening in the mid west part of Ireland in the past hour. There are postings about on the Storm Eleanor thread.

riggerman Registered User

Left work at 2.30 here in Cork city and have been following lighting all the way home. Back in west Cork now and the wind is howling. Lighting still to the north west , macroom millstreet I reckon from my spot.

1 person has thanked this post
munsterlegend Registered User

riggerman said:
Left work at 2.30 here in Cork city and have been following lighting all the way home. Back in west Cork now and the wind is howling. Lighting still to the north west , macroom millstreet I reckon from my spot.

The esb will be delighted!

yerwanthere123 Registered User

riggerman said:

Yup, getting loud thunder here just outside Macroom!

holidaygirl Registered User

Thunder and lightening here in west tipp just after 3 am, loudest thunder I've heard in a long time, and the lightening was lightening up the room. Took out power in some local areas.

igCorcaigh Registered User

Loads of lightning strikes all over Munster, looking at the map. None in Cork city though.

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php

Jpmarn said:
Some thunder and lightening in the mid west part of Ireland in the past hour. There are postings about on the Storm Eleanor thread.

Lots over Munster

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php

Winds picking up and more lightning in Cork city

Few flashes, seemed way off to the south, no thunder.

Recliner Registered User

holidaygirl said:
loudest thunder I've heard in a long time

That's what alerted me. Happy out watching Transformers on my tablet, headphones in, volume to max when I heard what I thought was an explosion. Took out the buds and my heart nearly stopped with the volume of the thunder. And there it goes again..we luckily have a dog who doesn't react to thunder, also snoring her head off beside me.

Mountainsandh Registered User

holidaygirl said:
Thunder and lightening here in west tipp just after 3 am, loudest thunder I've heard in a long time, and the lightening was lightening up the room. Took out power in some local areas.

Just had that same bout about 20min ago. Not sure about lightning but thunder strong, still blowing strong too. West Waterford Tipp border area.

Fitzo123 Registered User

Some roaring thunder and lightning in Sligo town.

gozunda Registered User

Period of loud and long lasting thunder and lightning after 3.20 am last night. Deafening peals of rolling thunder interspersed with cracks of very bright lightening. First wave followed by heavy bands of hail and strengening wind.

130 m asl North Cork / Limerick / Tipperary border.

2 people have thanked this post
mobil 222 Registered User

Just outside Sligo Town,that has to be the worst lightning i have seen in a long time.
The thunder was about 3 to 4 seconds after so it had to be very close.
Lights went came back after a couple of seconds but i can hear a few house alarms going off.
Stay safe folks

foxy farmer Registered User

Couple of rumbles here in last 10 mins. Blitzordnung showing a few strikes at sea south of Kinsale.

4 people have thanked this post
Meteorite58 Moderator

So entering into a right mix of weather over the coming week with plenty of convective potential it would seem from laterMonday and more so on Tues. Could be some big hail showers with severe gusts at times I would imagine. Most of the sferics over water perhaps with some thunderstorms straying inland. Will the strong winds bring activity further inland ?

4 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!