devnull Moderator
#2,461

punisher5112 said:
Qrt said:
I remember hearing before that the NTA are suffering from chronic understaffing, is that true or was it just me hearing things?

The NTA I'm sure is well staffed as it's just a branch off of the department of transport.

The NTA were chronically understaffed and still are understaffed. They warned the department that if they were not able to recruit extra staff then it would effect their ability to deliver projects on time. The department has since allowed 12 extra staff but this only helped a small amount.

2 people have thanked this post
markpb Registered User
#2,462

punisher5112 said:
The NTA controls all routes so have go-ahead is no different at all as to how frequency has changed as of the same date of changes many many db routes have had their frequency increased given the go ahead by the NTA.

I'm very much an outsider here but my understanding is that whenever someone (NTA or DB management) want to change a route, it goes to the drivers/union for discussion. Several drafts of the timetable are debated and rejected, all taking time, until eventually a consensus exists and the new timetable can be published and made available to customers. This process might be quick sometimes but can be very slow other times and, in the case of Network Direct all those years ago, several changes were abandoned completely because of lack of agreement.

If GAI can implement a timetable change in a more efficient manner, I can understand why NTA would want to wait until GAI were running the routes before introducing the changes.

NTA amazingly stop db refund tickets on the day go ahead take over what were db routes.

It's not amazing at all. Trying to get rid of change facilities in the past would have been politically difficult because of the inevitable whinging. Trying to support change receipts with two different operators with two different settlement models would be expensive for NTA to implement or tricky for customers. Getting rid of it now is both efficient and easy to explain.

All services could be improved over night if they brought in the travel 90 across the board and get people away from interaction with driver.

Agreed.

punisher5112 said:
The NTA I'm sure is well staffed as it's just a branch off of the department of transport.

They are very understaffed.

Stephen15 Registered User
#2,463

punisher5112 said:
The NTA controls all routes so have go-ahead is no different at all as to how frequency has changed as of the same date of changes many many db routes have had their frequency increased given the go ahead by the NTA.

True but DB keep their own fare revenue but fare revenue from GAI goes back to the NTA as GAI are paid a set fee so DB have more autonomy.

The NTA has given go ahead permission not that they just rock up take over and look at us we can increase the frequency.

The NTA has had this planned all along so no matter what go-ahead would look better as it looks like they are better.

You're sort of jumping to a conclusion there that after a slightly shakey start which can be expected Go-Ahead are bad bus service I will reserve my judgment for Go-Ahead after 6 months to a year not after less than week of operating DB routes. The NTA recently announced one the largest route expansion plans for DB routes too so they're hardly just trying to make Go-Ahead look good.

Bus Connects is another thing that will make them also look better the more routes they get.

Bus Connects has nothing to do with Go-Ahead. DB recently had their direct award contract renewed so their operation will remain the same in size as it is now and as it was before GAI started operating. If GAI get more routes after Bus Connects it will be a result of increased levels of service. DB is also one of the agencies involved in drawing up the bus connects plan GAI are not.

NTA amazingly stop db refund tickets on the day go ahead take over what were db routes.

Well considering DB still keep their fares I would imagine they had some input into that decison

Go ahead doesn't need to go to extra expenses of more staff, building, services etc etc for one to go collect their change.

That would be the NTAs responsibility not GAIs as it's their fare revenue not GAIs. GAI are only responsible for the day to day operation the services

All services could be improved over night if they brought in the travel 90 across the board and get people away from interaction with driver.

True but to that you would also need to replace all the outdated wayfarers from DB buses. Not sure what ticketing equipment GAI buses are using.

Crazyrr1 Registered User
#2,464

Hi all dont post here ever. Just want to clarify some information here.
NTA decide the timetables for all routes. No changes can be made to posted tinetables without NTA approval. That goes for all pso contracts. DB ,go ahead etc. Db cant even put an extra bus on a peck times with the nod from the NTA.
Drivers are never involved in this process. DB Drivers do vote on duty timetables but they are an internal issue and dont affect customer timetables. GAI are in the same boat in regards to customer timetables but im sure the NTA is bending over a little to make the transition a little easier.
Union votes are done on the drivers / workers issues and not what the Nta want done..

4 people have thanked this post
KD345 Registered User
#2,465

Lots of problems with the 75 and 75A over the last few days. Twitter has many annoyed passengers late for work and school.

At times, the real time and journey planner apps show different arrival times, and the new TFI timetable is very confusing with a lot of errors. Look at the departures in the evening.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/TFI-Go-Ahead-Route-75a-Timetable-1.pdf

devnull Moderator
#2,466

KD345 said:
Lots of problems with the 75 and 75A over the last few days. Twitter has many annoyed passengers late for work and school.

The real time and journey planner apps seem to be showing different arrival times, and the new TFI timetable is very confusing to read with a lot of errors. Look at the departures in the afternoon.

That's because the journey planner shows scheduled times, unless otherwise indicated whilst the real time application, shows real time information, although it wasn't helped by the NTA suggesting people use the Journey Planner for real time information earlier in the week (which it can provide through the departures tab) which has confused people.

The PDF's are dreadful though, I'll give you that, in dire need of a proof read. They appear to have remove the 75 one though from the TFI and Go-Ahead site and gone back to older ones of a different layout.

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised if the next phase was delayed by a week at least, so they can sort these issues out, because honestly this first phase hasn't been a total disaster, but it's been very near and they need to sort these issues out before transfering anymore.

3 people have thanked this post
#2,467

KD345 said:

At times, the real time and journey planner apps show different arrival times, and the new TFI timetable is very confusing with a lot of errors. Look at the departures in the evening.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/TFI-Go-Ahead-Route-75a-Timetable-1.pdf

I'm not surprised due to the crazy decision to reroute through Dundrum Village. I can see this being decision reversed in time if the NTA see sense and realise it serves little purpose other than adding time onto the journey. My guess a lot of the issues are due to this diversion and I am not one bit surprised.

The 75 has always had problems route due to it's lengthy running time and traffic delays as there are few bus priority measures along this route. An idea would be running a certain number of extra departures around peak times as short runnings going only to Dundrum.

2 people have thanked this post
#2,468

I had a read of the GAI customer charter and one oddity I noticed was that it said lost property is held in Ballymount for two days and is then moved to the DB lost property office. I wonder what the story is with that.

Qrt Registered User
#2,469

In an ideal world, Dundrum village would be essential access only. They have a bypass like!

1 person has thanked this post
AlekSmart Registered User
#2,470

markpb said:
I'm very much an outsider here but my understanding is that whenever someone (NTA or DB management) want to change a route, it goes to the drivers/union for discussion. Several drafts of the timetable are debated and rejected, all taking time, until eventually a consensus exists and the new timetable can be published and made available to customers. This process might be quick sometimes but can be very slow other times and, in the case of Network Direct all those years ago, several changes were abandoned completely because of lack of agreement.

If GAI can implement a timetable change in a more efficient manner, I can understand why NTA would want to wait until GAI were running the routes before introducing the changes.

It's not amazing at all. Trying to get rid of change facilities in the past would have been politically difficult because of the inevitable whinging. Trying to support change receipts with two different operators with two different settlement models would be expensive for NTA to implement or tricky for customers. Getting rid of it now is both efficient and easy to explain.

Agreed.

They are very understaffed.

The schedule process is now totally different.Maximum of two drafts,the second is implimented regardless of agreement,with one single independent referal tribunal to ultimately decide.

Process is now taking less than 2 weeks beginning to end.

Dravokivich Moderator
#2,471

Stephen15 said:
I had a read of the GAI customer charter and one oddity I noticed was that it said lost property is held in Ballymount for two days and is then moved to the DB lost property office. I wonder what the story is with that.

Must be some agreement about accessibility.

Conway635 Registered User
#2,472

Alun said:
Shop River is a small group of houses just after the bus stop on the left if you're heading away from Enniskerry. There is a small 'river', although unsure if that's actually Shop River, that originates in a small reservoir on the other side of the road that goes underground under the houses, reappears above ground and wends it's way towards Powerscourt, feeds another small reservoir close to the main car park, and ends up in the Dargle. You can see it all clearly on Google aerial photography if you look.

I agree though, it's a silly end destination to put on a bus serving Enniskerry.

Just to add to the Shop River discussion, here is proof that it does exist:

‪Garda’ had to handcuff man who became aggressive outside club https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/garda-had-to-handcuff-man-who-became-aggressive-outside-club-27611884.html‬

It’s in the newspapers so it must be true :-)

C635

magentis Registered User
#2,473

devnull said:
The NTA were chronically understaffed and still are understaffed. They warned the department that if they were not able to recruit extra staff then it would effect their ability to deliver projects on time. The department has since allowed 12 extra staff but this only helped a small amount.

Impressive nta HR knowledge devnull.

1 person has thanked this post
Kfagan10 Registered User
#2,474

magentis said:

Their staff are also nothing to do with the Department of Transport. As in the allocation of staff has no relation to the department.

devnull Moderator
#2,475

magentis said:

Kfagan10 said:
Their staff are also nothing to do with the Department of Transport. As in the allocation of staff has no relation to the department.

Unfortunately, the both of you are ploughing a rather misguided and false furrow there and a false narrative So rather than speculate of what is true and what isn't about the situation in the NTA, lets just examine their board meeting minutes shall we and go with the facts.

Perhaps the April one would be a good place to start?

Staffing issues and in particular the increasingly urgent need to fill a number of key staff vacancies in order to ensure that key projects are not delayed. It was agreed that the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport should be advised that delays in the filling of these vacancies will inevitably impact on the delivery of key NTA projects.

Also, how about the May one?

Department approval for the filling of 12 key posts by the NTA. The Board noted that while the filling of these posts was welcome, it only went part of the way to addressing the NTA’s staffing needs having regard to the NTA role in the delivery of major public transport projects under the National Development Plan. The Board noted that an updated strategic resourcing plan will be made available during June

So I suggest you find a new source, since it's clear the ones that are telling you that the department have no control over staffing have no idea what they are talking about and rather than me knowing inside info of HR Matters, I simply read an official document in a public domain on a clearly labeled section of the NTA Website.

11 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!