Meteorite58 Moderator
#1,426

That is some windy spell of weather from Monday with accompanying wind chill .

3 people have thanked this post
Meteorite58 Moderator
#1,427

Been watching next Tues/ Weds with interest. The ECM has been showing very tight isobars for a few days, looks like it could be very windy along Atlantic counties.

Note the high reading over the Kerry Mts, I have seen this on a number of these charts,I think they seem to give a peak reading for high terrain and not to be mistaken with wind speeds at the standard 10m.

850hPa winds

2 people have thanked this post
nagdefy Registered User
#1,428

Meteorite58 said:
Been watching next Tues/ Weds with interest. The ECM has been showing very tight isobars for a few days, looks like it could be very windy along Atlantic counties.

Looking at the weather on the 6 news and Tuesday had an average 3C over Ireland. That wind chill will make it feel well below freezing.

Meteorite58 Moderator
#1,429

nagdefy said:
Looking at the weather on the 6 news and Tuesday had an average 3C over Ireland. That wind chill will make it feel well below freezing.

I can only imagine it will be skinning, especially on coasts or open countryside.

1 person has thanked this post
Gonzo Moderator
#1,430

I have to admit, I'm really not looking forward to that wind chill next week, it's going to feel well below 0C for much of next week.

natashaob6 Registered User
#1,431

nagdefy said:

Speaking of the weather on Six One News I see the weather charts got a bit of a make over. I must day I like the graphics. Sorry for going off topic but I said I would mention it in here. I saw them for the first time yesterday evening. Cloudy and grey here in Tipperary with a slight breeze and a nice nip in the air.

Oscar Bravo Registered User
#1,432

Nice bright afternoon here in Castlebar with some sunshine breaking through in just light winds. feeling mild at 9 degrees.

amandstu Registered User
#1,433

The early hours of the 18th ,does that look like a flooding episode on the South East coast of England?Kind of 1953 in reverse (from the South up)

I think tides will be pretty high ... it is 5 days away..

https://earth.nullschool.net/#2018/01/18/0000Z/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-39.16,63.39,823/loc=-10.849,53.483

Meteorite58 Moderator
#1,434

Have to watch the evolution of this one for sure.

850 hPa winds

7 people have thanked this post
JCX BXC Registered User
#1,435

There'd be a nice wind chill factor in that wind!

HighLine Registered User
#1,436

GFS not looking too severe

nacho libre Registered User
#1,437

It is noteworthy when it's the euro model showing the low that deep rather than the gfs. Although the ecm seems to be on its own in blowing up the low. The UKMO is not supporting it so far.

Meteorite58 Moderator
#1,438

nacho libre said:
It is noteworthy when it's the euro model showing the low that deep rather than the gfs. Although the ecm seems to be on its own in blowing up the low. The UKMO is not supporting it so far.

Yes and it twas the ECM that first picked up Storm Dylan and had a fairly accurate track before the local models even picked it up and then they took a few runs to fall in line. The track of Dylan did drift a bit more North. Will see.

3 people have thanked this post
nacho libre Registered User
#1,439

Meteorite58 said:
Yes and it twas the ECM that first picked up Storm Dylan and had a fairly accurate track before the local models even picked it up and then they took a few runs to fall in line. The track of Dylan did drift a bit more North. Will see.

Well if the ecm is correct, then it'll probably be the wind that is the main concern, rather than snow at lower levels. It will be just feel really bitter in the heavy rain for most.

Meteorite58 Moderator
#1,440

Fast moving deepening storm if this comes to pass. Seen some Dutch interest about this as it is presently tracking across Ireland, the UK and then into Holland.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!