Deckard Shaw Registered User

patrickc said:
no wonder they're fecked or on fire so much, pushing an engine like that all the time.

Those coaches were fcuked by the time they joined the DC fleet, most of them had several million miles from their Aircoach or Stagecoach days and are on their last legs anyway, minimal expenditure to try and maximise the profit.

2 people have thanked this post
devnull Moderator

Deckard Shaw said:
Those coaches were fcuked by the time they joined the DC fleet, most of them had several million miles from their Aircoach or Stagecoach days and are on their last legs anyway, minimal expenditure to try and maximise the profit.

Aircoach is a hard slog for any vehicle, bearing in mind they operate all their services, 24 hours a day, offer the same timetable 7 days a week, 364 days a year with very little respite for the vehicles, which is pretty unique for Ireland.

Would I be right in thinking that Dublin Coach do all of their maintenance in house? That's normally the case for companies who would take second hand vehicles on, whereas the likes of Aircoach who only purchase/lease new, always seem to contract maintenance out to the manufacturer as part of the transaction.

devnull said:
Aircoach is a hard slog for any vehicle, bearing in mind they operate all their services, 24 hours a day, offer the same timetable 7 days a week, 364 days a year with very little respite for the vehicles, which is pretty unique for Ireland.

Would I be right in thinking that Dublin Coach do all of their maintenance in house? That's normally the case for companies who would take second hand vehicles on, whereas the likes of Aircoach who only purchase/lease new, always seem to contract maintenance out to the manufacturer as part of the transaction.

I'm an ex Aircoach driver, I can attest to what you are saying as being 100% accurate.

Thank god for the Mercedes Benz engines of the day and the Volvo ones now, you can be sure a DAF engine wouldn't have been that reliable

Yes all work in done in Knockmitten. Not that they are very good at it.

The newer coaches appear to be on a long term lease for Belfast etc.

devnull Moderator

The Belfast Aircoach fleet were procured through Dennison Commercials, as opposed to the rest that were procured through Irish Commercials, although in reality, both of those will do work for Aircoach and I believe there is also a Volvo dealer in Cork who will also be doing work for them should the need required.

Those Setra's were certainly supported by Mercedes when they were with Aircoach, since I saw a Mercedes Benz 24 hour service van call out to them a few times when they broke down.

TallGlass Registered User

Some of the coaches seem to bomb along the inside lane of the M50. Very rarely see a HGV do this. You can see why they dont if you ever seen it. The coach looks seriously unstable.

1 person has thanked this post
Matthew Gleeson Registered User

patrickc said:
Deckard Shaw said:
Would ya like fries with that

I would well believe it, the owner is an ex Bus Eireann mechanic so would know all the strokes on top of being the ex owner of Aircoach which he formed in 1999 before selling in 2005.

no wonder they're fecked or on fire so much, pushing an engine like that all the time.

Agreed. I’ve experienced them as a passenger. Milling down the fast lane. To be fair it’s a bit of fun but has to take its toll.

Matthew Gleeson Registered User

patrickc said:
Deckard Shaw said:
Would ya like fries with that

I would well believe it, the owner is an ex Bus Eireann mechanic so would know all the strokes on top of being the ex owner of Aircoach which he formed in 1999 before selling in 2005.

Agreed. I’ve experienced them as a passenger. Milling down the fast lane. To be fair it’s a bit of fun but has to take its toll.

WishUWereHere Registered User

Deckard Shaw said:
I'm an ex Aircoach driver, I can attest to what you are saying as being 100% accurate.

Thank god for the Mercedes Benz engines of the day and the Volvo ones now, you can be sure a DAF engine wouldn't have been that reliable

Yes all work in done in Knockmitten. Not that they are very good at it.

The newer coaches appear to be on a long term lease for Belfast etc.

Had reason to drive around Knockmitten during the week. The number of 'shells' and buses on their ankles is disgraceful, and surely an embarrassment to whoever is involved with DC. Also, I noticed lots of embedded oil patches on the roadside there.....How are they getting away with this, one can only wonder.

7 people have thanked this post

WishUWereHere said:
Had reason to drive around Knockmitten during the week. The number of 'shells' and buses on their ankles is disgraceful, and surely an embarrassment to whoever is involved with DC. Also, I noticed lots of embedded oil patches on the roadside there.....How are they getting away with this, one can only wonder.

Seen it myself, those were scenes which were common in Bus Eireann depots over 20 years ago, since the safety,health and welfare at work at 2005 I would have thought the practice was long gone, but I witnessed it for myself in recent years, cowboy outfit is a polite description, Their staff turn over is unsurprisingly high as well.

Old diesel Registered User

I can't understand how the ex owner of aircoach changed his approach from running new high end Setras at aircoach to running heaps of dung with this outfit.

It's a real turn off to trying the service.

It looks more appetising to see with rivals - Vanhools and Volvo 9700s with new/late registrations.

What are they thinking

6 people have thanked this post

Old diesel said:
I can't understand how the ex owner of aircoach changed his approach from running new high end Setras at aircoach to running heaps of dung with this outfit.

It's a real turn off to trying the service.

It looks more appetising to see with rivals - Vanhools and Volvo 9700s with new/late registrations.

What are they thinking

He basically bought his own Setra’s For a second time, after they were long beyond their sell by date though.

WishUWereHere Registered User

Deckard Shaw said:
He basically bought his own Setra’s For a second time, after they were long beyond their sell by date though.

I live in Newbridge, and anytime we are going on a European holiday we used always use DC. However 2 years ago we were left standing on the roadside waiting for our bus, which eventually arrived 55 minutes late, middle of July, and no A/C and as the 'bus' was packed it felt like a sauna inside the bus.

We never use DC now as we are **** scared we might miss our flight - perhaps this bloke ( owner of DC ) is in cahoots with Dublin Airport parking authorities?

XPS_Zero Registered User

Why are you shocked? Business mans job is to make a profit, at any cost. The only reason they don't do it in a way more cut throat way is the whole social market economy thing we do in Europe (take a look at the US or worse, Asia, for what happens when there are no rules in place to restrain them). The entire incentive structure of the market is there to race to the bottom and if there is no rules there to stop them nobody should be shocked that they'll do it. Go look up what McDonalds was paying before the minimum wage was introduced here.

Then, as others have pointed out, those restraining rules are not great, the bus regulation system needs to change it's a little warped.

3 people have thanked this post
Truckermal Registered User

I always follow this thread, anyway coming in the N7 Friday morning heading to the Airport I passed one of them in traffic! I chuckled and thought amazing he's moving and at that all his sidelight including rear lights started flickering on and off...

patrickc Registered User

I was going to come on here and praise a 142 Touismo driver today, he stuck to the 60kph and drove well for about 1km!
He then tore up through the roadworks, he must of been bored and accelerated on! He left his right indicator on for definitely 2 km, people didn't know whether to go around him or not, he nearly caused an accident where he went into the right lane and a car who was about to overtake him had to jam on.

One rear light and one front headlight was out of action

I noticed as he overtook me that there was a printed white note on the door saying seat belts must be worn, perhaps for the roller coaster ride you get with DC!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!