ForeRight Registered User

Possibly going to be showed across the internet and not on TV at all

What a shambles

1 person has thanked this post
Walter Sobchak III Registered User

The USPGA or the Euro version?

The less total control Sky have over the Majors the better imo. Any sources?

10 people have thanked this post
Newtown90 Registered User

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/13/rory-mcilroy-scottish-open-golf-poulter-fowler?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Bizarre, call themselves the home of golf, launch a new Sky Sport Golf Channel and the PGA say no to their money for the PGA Championship. Could be the start of big changes to the PGA Tour broadcasts in Europe I wonder?!

5 people have thanked this post

ForeRight said:

What a shambles

Why would any organisation want to do this to themselves.Surely you have to make it available on as many platforms as possible.The vast majority of people still use traditional TV so not having the event on traditional TV would be a quite stupid you would think.You would think that with Golf having a more mature audience would be the last sport to do something as stupid as taking it off TV.

2 people have thanked this post
Minderbinder Registered User

Dirty
ForeRight said:

What a shambles

Why would any organisation want to do this to themselves.Surely you have to make it available on as many platforms as possible.The vast majority of people still use traditional TV so not having the event on traditional TV would be a quite stupid you would think.You would think that with Golf having a more mature audience would be the last sport to do something as stupid as taking it off TV.

They're saying they want to attract more people to the game so why not have it on the BBC or other terrestrial channels?

The Masters would never have been as popular in Europe had it not been on terrestrial tv. Look at what has happened to the FA Cup since Sky and others started showing it.

Also boxing is another example. It was a hugely popular sport but now who gives a f**k.

First Up Registered User

So where do we watch it?

Adiaga 2 Registered User

Not the biggest fan of Sky as an entity but I'm more than happy for them to have a monopoly on golf. The terrestrial channels don't want it( certainly in UK and Ireland). So the alternative would be to have some rubbish outfit like setanta/b t sport/ei r sports take a piece and charge for it?

From the Guardian article and the PGA of America guy's mention of "platforms", it will surely be available online. I just hope it's not some sort of facebook partnership.

Definitely embarrassing for Sky though.

Mantis Toboggan Registered User

Minderbinder said:
Also boxing is another example. It was a hugely popular sport but now who gives a f**k.

Boxing is extremely popular now, arguably more so than in the last 20 years.

Tyson
Minderbinder said:

Boxing is extremely popular now, arguably more so than in the last 20 years.

I don't think so. It's a popular niche sport but it's no longer mainstream.

4 people have thanked this post

Minderbinder said:
They're saying they want to attract more people to the game so why not have it on the BBC or other terrestrial channels?

The Masters would never have been as popular in Europe had it not been on terrestrial tv. Look at what has happened to the FA Cup since Sky and others started showing it.

By the tone of the article and one I've seen in the independent today it doesn't sound like that, it sounds like some sort of partnership with netflix or one of those types of companies and you pay for access.Hope that's not the case as I think limiting anything to an on-line only platform is even worse than having it on a subscription TV channel.

I hope its not offered on a pay streaming service, unless you have great broadband you are going to have problems with freezing and even if you have good broadband it can drop from time to time. Maybe one of the red button options on the likes BBC might work.

Armchair
The less total control Sky have over the Majors the better imo. Any sources?

Only if the alternative is Free to Air TV.Not really good if a sport gets split between rival pay tv companies as that just screws the fans as they're forced to pay 2 subscriptions to view what they want.

Dirty Dingus McGee said:
Only if the alternative is Free to Air TV.Not really good if a sport gets split between rival pay tv companies as that just screws the fans as they're forced to pay 2 subscriptions to view what they want.

Yeah viewership will drop if two operators have it. say sky with the European tour and some other company with the PGA tour.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!