Vidcon Registered User

ferrigan101 said:
It does, I'm pretty sure it was already installed when I set up mine.

Brilliant, thanks

Rick Shaw Registered User

ferrigan101 said:
It does, I'm pretty sure it was already installed when I set up mine.

Loads won't play though because it's geolocked .

doylefe Registered User

Rick Shaw said:

As far as I can tell it shows you the correct selection (i.e. International Prime Video) and there's nothing that it displays that won't play.

1 person has thanked this post
Akula Registered User

Rick Shaw said:

I used to have this problem. If you change your region setting to Ireland then it restricts the range to just the things that you can view.

stimpson Registered User

Getflix is your man. There is a thread on bargain alerts with a 70% discount code. I got the lifetime sub last year and it worked great with Prime.

funnyname Registered User

stimpson said:
Getflix is your man. There is a thread on bargain alerts with a 70% discount code. I got the lifetime sub last year and it worked great with Prime.

However I've also had to add a UK payment account to my Gmail account to get it to work. However with this I am no longer able to use my mobile billing to pay for purchases in the play store.

brightkane Brightane

brightkane said:
I keep losing the ducking remote! But I am using the android TV remote app on my phone and it's flawless

Thankfully i have this as my 4 or 2 yr old has hidden the remote and its signal isnt picked up my the shield so i have no idea where it is!

Incidentally i tried to pair my amazon gen 2 firestick remote and it worked perfectly apart from voice control which i never used .

Rick Shaw Registered User

Akula said:
I used to have this problem. If you change your region setting to Ireland then it restricts the range to just the things that you can view.

Within the Amazon app , yeah?

Akula Registered User

Rick Shaw said:
Within the Amazon app , yeah?

Trying to remember, but I think I did it by logging onto primevideo.com which is their international site. Doing that forces a region change if I recall correctly.

Obviously don't do this if you are using a VPN or whatever.

Zilog Registered User

stimpson said:

+1 for Getflix. Got the lifetime deal a while back and has been working flawlessly for Amazon, Vudu, iPlayer etc. Don't use it with Netflix. Website and mobile app allow regions to be set, IP address update etc. etc.

cronos Registered User

Anyone using Windshield with it? Any joy?

funnyname Registered User

cronos said:
Anyone using Windshield with it? Any joy?

Was using the windshield VPN app fine with it but today used a trial of smart DNS proxy and all is good so no data wasted on using the VPN.

OmegaGene Registered User

Zilog said:
+1 for Getflix. Got the lifetime deal a while back and has been working flawlessly for Amazon, Vudu, iPlayer etc. Don't use it with Netflix. Website and mobile app allow regions to be set, IP address update etc. etc.

Couldn’t agree more about getflix it’s perfect once set up
The app is great on the phone

john_doe. Registered User

Suckit said:
You mean Shield HTPC, or Shield, HTPC (genuine question) I think i am misreading.

I have both, can not afford something like the leet/steiger dynamics from a few years ago, but the decent HTPC below €200 running LibreELEC/Linux MCE is still a better option imho.

recording/storage/life but not comparable either.. I know it can be done on both, and is the reason many prefer e.g. Plex, but the longterm option is my preference. It means every now and then adding extras, but if i legally record movies/sports/TV shows from the TV, then surely i am better set up to protect myself if the Copyright Police come knocking in the future, the way that they have done in Germany.

Quality is as good (on many HTPCs), and apps in Nvidia are as good as many others android boxes, albeit faster, unless you use Netflix/HBO and other paid licences - in which case they are better.
For now, these bugs are the reason i would limit my spending and recommend the same to others unless they wanted to spend. I feel myself going off on a tangent. I like the Nvidia shield, and it is good, but as with all Android devices for now, it is limited. With google closing down Android to mimic iOS, it will become eventually even more limited.
Android TV even more so, but for now, it is great.

Was wondering what you think as alternative on shield that has same value. i.e a box under €200.
From reading a number of threads most of the linux boxes have stability issues while the shield user base all seem in love with thing.

I was looking at a system for Netflix , Plex client ,YouTube , RTE player , Slingbox player.
But also a TV headend client where I can watch live TV or recorded Tv.

All this stuff I currently watch on a Windows player through a web browser apart from the TV headend which I don't have yet.

The Shield seems to take is all however some issues are seen with TV headend . Also like the option of an open operating system.

One thing I do find useful in Plex on windows is that if I have issues with playing a file for example audio out of sync with video I can grab the file in chrome browser and hit download which stores it locally , then open in VLC which sorts it out - would this be possible in the shield?

Anyone here using the shield with TV headend also?

Seapoint Registered User

I'm running a TVHeadend server on a headless ubuntu machine with DVB-S and DVB-T

Zero issues with TVHeadend client for live channels

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!