siobhan08 Registered User

So been working in Dublin for the first time the last week, so I have been up and down the motorways. I've really noticed how fond drivers are of tailgating other drivers and undercutting them if they don't move in fast enough.

Happened to me twice and seen it happen to a few other drivers.

The two drivers who did it do me both tried to get in front of me when coming up to the express lane at the toll by moving over early and going over the white lines at the very start of the lane while I waiting until the arrow that directs you to move over.

After the toll I stayed in the overtaking lane as I was overtaking a few other cars and both were so far up my back that If I braked suddenly It would have caused a serious crash. I was going a good bit over the speed limit and it still wasn't good enough for them.

When I was finished overtaking and intended to move over they didn't give me a chance and just flew up on my inside. Only saw them when I looked in my wing mirror to check the distance from the car I had just overtaken before starting to move over.

One was a van and other was car, the van in particular was going so fast I wouldn't be suprised if he wasn't too far off 180km when they went by me. They would have killed themselves or somebody else going the speeds they were if they crashed.

Is this a common occurance around commuting time?

Was shocked at the risks drivers took simply becase they were impatient.

7 people have thanked this post
Hilly Bill Registered User

Its the reason that there is a crash on the M50 nearly every day.

41 people have thanked this post

Hilly Bill said:
Its the reason that there is a crash on the M50 nearly every day.

Madness.

The last week has been eye opening when comes to driver behaviour on irish roads.

Lived in England for a while.Don't think it was as bad over there.

2 people have thanked this post
sdanseo Registered User

While I don't condone either - the root cause is idiots lane hogging.

187 people have thanked this post

sdanseo said:
While I don't condone either - the root cause is idiots lane hogging.

Nope the root cause of it is ignorance and inability to obey the rules of the road. Main one being the speed limit. If you are in the left hand lane or the overtaking lane the speed limit is still 120

37 people have thanked this post
endacl Registered User

siobhan08 said:
Nope the root cause of it is ignorance and inability to obey the rules of the road

That'd include the lane hogging.

The third lane should never have been introduced to Irish roads. We don't know what to do with it...

47 people have thanked this post
Tigger Registered User

If you are undertaken then why are you in the overtaking lane
How are you being undertaken if you are overtaking a vehicle
It's hard to visualise

162 people have thanked this post
_Brian Registered User

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Tailgating and undertaking are stupid, but so is staying out in the overtaking lane because you are above the speed limit, if there's faster traffic behind you - move the feck over !

74 people have thanked this post
Brother Andy Registered User

siobhan08 said:
Nope the root cause of it is ignorance and inability to obey the rules of the road. Main one being the speed limit. If you are in the left hand lane or the overtaking lane the speed limit is still 120

siobhan08 said:
I was going a good bit over the speed limit

The irony

92 people have thanked this post
AfterDusk Registered User

Tigger
If you are undertaken then why are you in the overtaking lane How are you being undertaken if you are overtaking a vehicle It's hard to visualise

You need to leave adequate space once you've passed the vehicle to your left before changing lanes. You can't just cut across straight away. It's entirely possible that in this case the arrogant prat behind the OP wasn't patient enough to wait and allow her leave the space before returning to the left lane.

18 people have thanked this post

Tigger said:
It's hard to visualise

I moved to the overtaking lane to go through the express lane of the toll. Then stayed in the overtaking lane as I was overtaking a line of cars while the other vehicles were up my ass. When I cleared the last of the cars I stayed in the overtaking to ensure there was adequate distance to move in front of the car I overtook, just as I was about to move to the left lane, they went on my inside and went past

16 people have thanked this post
topcatcbr Registered User

Tigger said:
It's hard to visualise

Exactly this. Move into the left lane and let people pass.

9 people have thanked this post
seachto7 Registered User

Do what I do. Just touch the brake enough so the light comes on. Usually slows them down or just be pig ignorant and take your foot off the accelerator and gradually slow down and laugh at them as they pass you in a rage.
Better to be John Smith late than the late John Smith.

10 people have thanked this post
dev100 Registered User

AfterDusk
You need to leave adequate space once you've passed the vehicle to your left before changing lanes. You can't just cut across straight away. It's entirely possible that in this case the arrogant prat behind the OP wasn't patient enough to wait and allow her leave the space before returning to the left lane.

If the other drivers had room to undertake then the OP had room to pull over to the left. Some drivers sit in overtaking lane and are oblivious to a line of cars stuck behind them and in some cases the traffic on the left lane moves faster because of it.

We seem to have an aversion to driving on the left and get territorial over hogging the overtaking lane.

46 people have thanked this post
firemansam4 Registered User

She quite clearly stated that she was about to move back into the left lane after overtaking a car, but the car tailgating her moved into the left lane before she had a chance too.
When you overtake a car you are not supposed to cut straight back in, you have to give a bit of space to the car you have just overtaken, I guess some drivers dont have the patience for that.

48 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!