Del2005 Registered User
#31

Sebatron3 said:
The Gardai in Cork are fairly relaxed so far. I've done 140 miles on it since I got my Boosted in January. I think theres a grey area around electronic skateboards and scooters etc. regarding road use. As long as you're careful and don't do the bollux they'll leave you alone (in Cork anyway). I imagine this will change as these things get more popular and cheaper and theres more people on the road.


There's zero gray area they are illegal unless taxed and insured and you are wearing a helmet and have a licence, as they are classed as powered two wheelers, the problem is that we have zero enforcement of most of our laws so this is ignored. What will happen is some poor person will get seriously injured by one and then the sh1t will hit the fan.

robnet77 Registered User
#32

If one builds their own custom board, wouldn't it be possible to tweak it so that it requires an initial push by foot?

This would allow the board not to be considered a motorised vehicle, I guess?

beauf Registered User
#33

robnet77 said:
If one builds their own custom board, wouldn't it be possible to tweak it so that it requires an initial push by foot?

This would allow the board not to be considered a motorised vehicle, I guess?


If the board keeps going without your effort then no.

Cops aren't interested anyway. Does it really matter.

robnet77 Registered User
#34

beauf said:
If the board keeps going without your effort then no.

Cops aren't interested anyway. Does it really matter.


I'm not sure you are right on this.

Anyway, the gardai may not care today, but what if an accident occurs? One thing is that insurance is not required, a whole different story if it turns out one was riding without a mandatory insurance.

loyatemu Registered User
#36

robnet77 said:
If one builds their own custom board, wouldn't it be possible to tweak it so that it requires an initial push by foot?

This would allow the board not to be considered a motorised vehicle, I guess?


the exemption applies specifically to eBikes only (and mobility scooters I guess) - other that that if it has a motor, it's a motor vehicle.

ED E Registered User
#37

beauf said:

Cops aren't interested anyway. Does it really matter.


Until you hit somebody. Then the charges pile up.

#38

Check your home insurance too. Lots of house fires have been attributed to the exploding batteries in cheapo ones.

robnet77 Registered User
#39

loyatemu said:
the exemption applies specifically to eBikes only (and mobility scooters I guess) - other that that if it has a motor, it's a motor vehicle.


About 10 years ago I bought an electric scooter in a Dublin shop.

The law, back then, said that if a vehicle's max speed was up to 25 km/h, then it didn't require insurance.

I wonder whether this exemption is still valid, as it would apply to many electric skateboards.

Victor Registered User
#40

robnet77 said:
The law, back then, said that if a vehicle's max speed was up to 25 km/h, then it didn't require insurance.
This specifically refers to ped-elecs - electric pedal cycles with motor assistance. The motor stops if you stop pedalling.

1 person has thanked this post
Lumen Registered User
#41

Sebatron3 said:
The Gardai in Cork are fairly relaxed so far. I've done 140 miles on it since I got my Boosted in January. I think theres a grey area around electronic skateboards and scooters etc. regarding road use. As long as you're careful and don't do the bollux they'll leave you alone (in Cork anyway). I imagine this will change as these things get more popular and cheaper and theres more people on the road.


There is no grey area. A lack of enforcement is not a grey area.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!